Lt. Commander
Whose horrible idea was this? It's a very bad holdover from old school MMOs.

In a group of friends we either greed everything and since nothing binds on pickup, we trade it if someone NEEDS it.

In PUGs it only takes one person to NEED everything to make everyone else NEED everything, so it's random anyway.

It should be Want/Pass, that way if you don't want it, you don't fill your inventory. It basically works this way anyway. Nice PUGs tend Greed everything except the EDCs and similar items. Idiots tend to need everything to take advantage of the nice guys in the PUG, until the nice guys realize one or two guys are Needing everything.

Everything in STFs other than the EDCs (and similar) don't bind so there's no need worry about taking stuff from a bud, you can trade it to him or if you're worried you can pass.

Want/Pass -- it's good for you, good for the game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-07-2011, 02:02 PM
so if i understand my fleet mate; by removing the "need" aspect it more evenly balances the chance of people getting an item in a drop during the STF, e.g. Need trumping everything else, reducing the choices to 2 also simplfies it...
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Exactly, the problem is need trumps greed, so people wait to see if people greed, then they need to ensure they get the item.

That's the unfair part, it rewards being a bad guy.

So you cut out greed and amazingly it's now fair and not able to be gamed.

Seems like a no brainer.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-07-2011, 02:15 PM
I have to agree with Protector on this

I hate having needers in instances, they usually need on everything and never say anything in party, I was in a STF earlier, 4 items dropped 1 I actually needed upon as it was an upgrade, who got all 4 items? the ninja who needed all of the items

Would be nice if you could report someone as a ninja or remove them from the STF (with a vote)
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector View Post
Since a large part of the playerbase seems to be "me me me memememememe!" crowd these days I'll have to agree with this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genex View Post
I have to agree with Protector on this

I hate having needers in instances, they usually need on everything and never say anything in party, I was in a STF earlier, 4 items dropped 1 I actually needed upon as it was an upgrade, who got all 4 items? the ninja who needed all of the items

Would be nice if you could report someone as a ninja or remove them from the STF (with a vote)
One issue is that even if you place the "ninja" on ignore, you may still be auto-teamed with them if you PUG. So there's NO repercussion for being a "ninja".

If I see a guy NEEDING a blue item , I think "hey might actually need that" But a green? and twice in a row he hits need after everyone else hits greed? Then I KNOW he's gonna need EVERYTHING. And then I need everything just to keep it away from him if I can.

Everyone can sell/exchange the items and use the energy credits. So everyone really does "need" / want them. And that's the issue.

It's just going to get worse when we go live with free to play, as there will be a LOT of people who are going to play with no worries of consequences since you lose NO money if you get banned even.

Want/Pass is a better system. Period.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protector View Post

I agree this should be changed.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Let me see if I understand...you expect strange people you don't know to somehow become randomly more generous? Or, to use a popular quote..."Can't we all just get along?"

The mechanics you ask for are in the game. If you want it, roll need. If you don't, roll greed. Some people are going to roll need all the time. In your system, those same people will roll want, all the time. Your problem isn't the system, or anything Cryptic can fix. Your problem is the world is filled with douchebags and you really wish they'd stop being that way

Sadly, if Cryptic could fix that, they'd have a lot more money and retire
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-07-2011, 06:04 PM
It should just be Greed or Pass, period.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Need or Greed works for me. If some ninja-jack-butt wants to need on everything, the others in the group can hate on him. I'll stick to greeding unless I know I actually need something. I do like the idea of being able to vote to kick any team member for such behaviour though.