Lt. Commander
# 1 Ground tactical changes
01-03-2012, 12:39 AM
The changes to Tactical Initiative and Ambush abilities are terrible. There is already too much cloak on the ground in this game and you guys keep finding ways for there to be more. Target optics is useless against the double stealth module/ambush stealth buff and that's on a toon with perception traits. So not only does this change over power ambush, but it also renders Optics useless as well.

Tactical initiative is a joke now. Instead of 'at the ready' your toon should say 'almost at the ready'. Please don't let these horrible changes go live.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-03-2012, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCaptain
The changes to Tactical Initiative and Ambush abilities are terrible. There is already too much cloak on the ground in this game and you guys keep finding ways for there to be more. Target optics is useless against the double stealth module/ambush stealth buff and that's on a toon with perception traits. So not only does this change over power ambush, but it also renders Optics useless as well.

Tactical initiative is a joke now. Instead of 'at the ready' your toon should say 'almost at the ready'. Please don't let these horrible changes go live.
I like the changes to Tactical Initiative, the lack of an instant reset isn't as useful but the ability to reduce cooldown timers almost to the globals is helpful, especially if you're in a group and are the only Tac as it allows better up time on your damage buffs.
It might actually help with the most annoying part of Stealth however; I always hated being one shot in Otha by a stealthed Tac who'd then hit TI to reset the stealth timer and run away to do it again, with the lack of ability to stealth straight away then at least it'll give anyone else that 20 seconds (IIRC, may be a little off as I play Sci more these days) to catch up with them before they stealth again.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
I like the changes to Tactical Initiative, the lack of an instant reset isn't as useful but the ability to reduce cooldown timers almost to the globals is helpful, especially if you're in a group and are the only Tac as it allows better up time on your damage buffs.
It might actually help with the most annoying part of Stealth however; I always hated being one shot in Otha by a stealthed Tac who'd then hit TI to reset the stealth timer and run away to do it again, with the lack of ability to stealth straight away then at least it'll give anyone else that 20 seconds (IIRC, may be a little off as I play Sci more these days) to catch up with them before they stealth again.

The cloaking tac won't need to run away and do it again. The ambush/stealth module is completely undetectable. Same as the armor/stealth module combo. All that means is even MORE cloak ganking in Otha and pvp matches. If the tact has the cloak armor + operative + ambush, they'll just gank you with operative and ambush and get away with the cloak armor. It changes nothing except to give people that do that another way to kill you when you aren't ready.

As for the change to Tac initiaive, it severly hampers all other Tactical Kits leaving a tact no choice but to use Operative since they will have to one shot the opponent to be effective. Yes I am primarily speaking of PvP. Fire Team will be useless against a Tact on Operative as they will never see the cloaker coming. PvP matches are going to turn into 'find a spot and wait for someone to get close enough, buff ambush so they never have a chance to see you and shoot them when they are looking the other way.' Loser is the one that decloaks first.

This game has awesome ground combat with a few abilities that good players can master the timing of and really kick your butt in a fight and it's being dumbed down to who has the most cloak and can get the ambush first. Instead of tactics and timing of abilities, it's one tactic and everyone has to use it if they want to stand a chance. This emphasis on cloaking sucks IMO and is only serving to hurt ground PvP even more. I think anyone can agree that it is quite frustrating to be cloak ganked by someone who is offscreen that you never saw while your busy with Borg or w/e and Cryptic just keeps making it easier and easier for players to do that. Now even with optics up, or sensor scan you'll still never see them coming.

Enough ranting about this. Mine is just one opinion, but these changes are awful.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Which cloak armour? I wasn't aware of any armour that granted a stealth buff (I've been grinding space STFs so haven't played ground since the beginning of December or so) but if there is an armour that grants a passive or active stealth buff then as you say there's no difference, I'll still be one shot and they'll still get away.

I've never found stealth sight to be overly useful anyway, it's occasionally got me a kill in Otha but even then they were within 5 metres before I could see them and it was only because I got lucky and sprinted right towards them so they didn't have time to react. I do only have Acute Senses on that character though and there's a definite reduction when Limited Telepathy isn't also on that character (Andorian so not available).
I've not bothered queueing for a long time so not sure what it's like in an arena but for Otha/ Quay'ghun I've always found it weak; Stealth Sight needed buffing if anything.

I do still like the changes to Tac Initiative, but I hadn't thought of your example. I have STFs on the mind and the idea of Tac buffs on a shorter cooldown sounded good but I can see your point. For the open PvP areas though I've always found Operative to be superior but they have to ge tthe kill; if they fail then they'll struggle usually with the reduced damage from there buffs against a fire team kit. Hard to run away with Suppressing Fire on you.