Lt. Commander
# 1 Dilithium refining
01-01-2012, 04:22 AM
Just had a thought and wished to share it. Sorry if its a repost of an existing idea.

Basically, refining Dilithium doesn't have any real pupose other than to convert from unusable to usable Dilithium, and personally I wish there was just the one type of Dilithium without converting but as its in the game now i guess it stays. But what if we could make converting a bit more functional rather than clicking on a convert button?

So...

Instead of being able to convert ore to refined Dilithium just anywhere by using a menu and clicking on convert, what if we made this a process with a real world element? This element would be a refining plant. Remember the TOS episode Mudds Women? Where the planet is a source of Dilithium and there were miners working there. Now im not sure if they produced refined crystals, but they seemed to be usable as the Enterprise needed them asap. So they might be using a refinery after they mined the ore.

So would this be an idea of how we can have a crafting for Dilithium from ore to the refined crystals? We could have a dedicated planet or two, one for the Federation and one for the Klingons. At the planet, there would be a mining operation, and the miners there would offer to convert what you had into refined Dilithium. Like Memory Alpha, it would be dedicated to crafting, but it would be for Dilithium to spice up the boring convert button to an activity where we go to a planet, beam down, and negotiate with the miners to have our ore turned into refined Dilithium crystals.

I'm not sure how it would effect the whole established system as it is now, but perhaps this idea will give Cryptic an idea how to refine the Dilithium conversion process into something a bit more fun.

Maybe there could be benefits of going to this mining planet as well, for instance you could get bonuses, for example perhaps you could convert more Dilithium in a day compared to the 8k limit we have now, but to combat the 8k limit perhaps it could be a process that takes time so you couldn't just instantly convert 10k ore into 10k of refined crystals. Or perhaps you could even talk to the miners and get them to spice it up to 1.5k an hour if you pay them more credits, or provide them with Romulan Ale or perhaps or GPL or heck pay them with Mudds Women as a consumable tradable item!

Basically, the idea is to have a planet or station around a planet and have either just a place where you can go and give someone (an npc) x amount of ore to refine or even a refining mini game at that location so you can manually do it yourself.

What do people think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-01-2012, 08:11 AM
mmmmh...
i'd rather use my Ship interior for this...

if something like that is ever introduced.

i think the button is fine as it is, the whole Ore thing is an annoyance as it is, turning it into something even more time consuming would be even more annoying.

but i think there should be items / temporary buffs / different modes to change the actual refining rates.

i suggest 3 modes:

slow
normal
fast

if you dont have much time to play or just play casually, you can refine your ore in SLOW mode, but get more refined dilithium out of it.

Say if you only played for 2000 Ore a day, that you get 2500 Refined instead out of it, but you are limited to refine 5000 a day instead of 8000
the less you convert the more of a bonus percentage you will get.
maybe add some sort of *random chance* to it? you get a secure 10% bonus, a rather common 25% bonus and a super rare chance at a 50% bonus. the further you get to the max of 5000 the lower the chance gets.

normal mode would be the normal 1:1 ratio 8000 for 8000 with fixed 8000 limit as it is now.

FAST would allow for a higher limit per day, say 12000 instead of 8000, but the ratio would be worse, think 0,75:1
same chance system could apply here.

so if you play a LOT and only on one char, and your dilithium piles up, without you being able to refine it fast enough (i am sure there are a few players like that) -> you could refine faster but for diminished returns.

of course this would be 100% optional for the Player....
and maybe add some sort of minigame to it, like tribble breeding or whatever to increase / decrease your critical hit chance...
but something that is more passive in the background than an active activity that you have to spend much time on every day.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
mmmmh...
i'd rather use my Ship interior for this...
Same here.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I like the idea alot.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2012, 07:40 PM
I really like this idea. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that we're able to refine aboard our ships, as refineries are generally big, dirty smell places. I'm also not a fan of the current process being an instant action and agree the process should take a little bit of time, say an hour to refine the whole day's worth. You could even have a rough and ready social zone there while people wait for the refining process. Or if you didn't want to wait then it would be automatically credited to your account in say an hour and a half.
Greasing the refinery workers palm with GPL to make the process go quicker, yep, again love that idea. also gives us another reason (other than going there to check out Holo-Leeta's butt) to go play Dabo.

I wouldn't want to see the option removed from the inventory but I'd say refining about a quarter of a day's worth in one go, also taking some time to complete. 15 mins doesn't sound unreasonable to me for 2k's worth of ore refine aboard ship, obviously repeatable once the process is complete.

No doubt there are those out there that are going to hate this thread's suggestions and and there will be good reasons from those people not to change anything. I'm just looking at it from the same point of view as Matress_of_evil is in making it more real worldy.
Ensign
# 6
10-12-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm very new to the game, and stumbled upon this post in my search for a way to refine more dilithium in a day. I just wanted to mention that requiring refining of dilithium places a controller on the game, making it require a length of time to gain and refine the necessary materials to gain certain items, whereas, unrestricted refinement would be too quick and destroy the long-term enjoyment of the game and goal-setting possibilities. That being said, it I'm now going to continue to check for possible quests and other things to offer bonus refinement. I hope that there might be such a thing offered, as it encourages more gameplay and reward for those willing to put the time in, without weakening the attraction of fast purchase for those who want it -now-. Thanks.
Community Moderator
# 7
10-12-2012, 09:23 PM
There's one DOFF mission that offers bonus refinement of another 1k a day. It's only available to Life Time Subscription holders, however. It's given by a Vulcan near the entrance to the main building at Starfleet Academy. It requires a Technician, but has no chance of failure.

I'm not aware of any other such missions.

You can also buy refined Dilithium from other players by using Zen on the Dilthium Exchange, and receive small amounts from other players in the form of tips for writing good Foundry missions. Generally the crowd that likes good stories tips better than the crowd that wants "tag the panel to finish my daily in five seconds" missions, especially since that latter market is essentially covered already.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Empire Veteran
# 8
10-12-2012, 09:30 PM
For those of us that equate grinding with torture, this idea would just be another 50,000 volts to the scrotum.

Last edited by crusty8mac; 10-12-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Captain
# 9
10-12-2012, 11:45 PM
why break something that isnt broken.. if its for RP just pretend youre going to a foundry to refine it.. then push the button.
Career Officer
# 10
10-12-2012, 11:49 PM
thought there was the 30 day rule this one being brought back from the dead and far exceeds it by 8 months
swimwear off risa not fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Closed Thread