Lt. Commander
I just logged into tribble and took a look at the skills tree.

Here's the bottom line and the only one you should care about, Cryptic. If I am forced to split my points into ground, you will never see another penny from me.

The game will be destroyed for me at that point. I don't do ground _AT ALL_ in STO. I am here for space combat. That is all I care about. I couldn't even get past the 3rd tier of points while trying to reproduce my current build... it wouldn't let me.

Your ground is nice and all, but I don't play 1st person or 3rd person shooters anymore. Hate them. Please don't ruin this for me and many other people who could give a frack less about ground.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF-Omega View Post
Being forced to put points in ground????
No, you are not.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-22-2011, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpstalker
No, you are not.
In a way yes. Since 25% of those points can't be spent on Space and are otherwise useless if not used....

I've learned to use them Ground points to get that Tier point requirement to flip sooner. I end up with a wierd assortment of ground skills but it works so far. More testing will be needed....
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
In a way yes. Since 25% of those points can't be spent on Space and are otherwise useless if not used....

I've learned to use them Ground points to get that Tier point requirement to flip sooner. I end up with a wierd assortment of ground skills but it works so far. More testing will be needed....
The only thing that still links the 2 skill trees is what you pointed : both still unlock higher tiers of each other.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Quote:
No, you are not.
Yes you are.

At least 4 people have tried to explain this to you, yet you seem to think that they are all wrong and you are right.

Even the Devs call it a 75/25 split. That means you HAVE to spend 25% of your skills (no less, no more) on ground skills and 75% (no less, no more) on space. Are they also wrong as well?

EDIT:
To the OP: There is an ongoing discussion here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=245623 if you wish to chime in
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Quote:
The only thing that still links the 2 skill trees is what you pointed : both still unlock higher tiers of each other.
The use of ground will unlock the next tier becuase there are only five tiers that cover both space and ground. This why one can spend points only in space skills but unlock the ground as well up until you run into the 25% ground points that can only be spent on ground skills.

from the dev blog

Quote:
For each rank (lieutenant, Commander, etc) there are now a total of 9 skills to choose from between space and ground.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-22-2011, 01:54 PM
We have always had to put “some” Skill points in to our ground skills. Always.

I Grant you I would love to have a “Switch” that you could flip all your ground skill points in for space skills like for 2 part STF’s..

Example: “I have destroyed the Borg armada. Now I need all my skills to defeat the Borg on the ground”. Flip the switch. Now that would be fun!! Hehe!
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-22-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm cool with the way the points are spent (the new skill themselves - meh, mixed feelings), but I have my pet issues that are 'the only thing I care about' in the game so it's a nice change of pace for me to try and understand someone else's POV and then to try and put myself in Cryptics shoes with different people who all ask for their one thing to take priority.

it's always interesting to break down a problem and see if we can't identify the core difference in ideas and beliefs in a matter. Lets get to the heart of the issue shall we?

Are you saying that you don't like the fact that you have to put points in ground, or are you saying that you want the max skill points able to be spent on space skills increased?

If they made it so that you didn't 'have' to spend any points in ground -- say for instance that there was no rank / unlock thing and you could just spend points in whatever skill (space or ground) that you wanted to at any time -- but they still had the same limit for the max amount of points that you could spend on space skills, would you be happy with that? Or are you really asking for them to remove the cap on how many points you can spend on space skills?

If you want the max space skills points cap increased, would you also say that you want the potential to max out on all space skills?

Just wondering if it might help the discussion to be very clear about why you don't like the present system.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
The use of ground will unlock the next tier becuase there are only five tiers that cover both space and ground. This why one can spend points only in space skills but unlock the ground as well up until you run into the 25% ground points that can only be spent on ground skills.
Perhaps my understanding of the new skill tree isn't the best, but I've only seen ppl complaining about the fact that they won't be better than "hybrids" anymore.

I would really love to have 2 completely separate skill trees.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivoe1574 View Post
We have always had to put “some” Skill points in to our ground skills. Always.
Not really, no. It's easy to completely skip ground skills altogether.