Lt. Commander
Im an engineering officer and my ships of choice are crusiers. Untill recently, i have been very satisfied with them. The cheyene variant eqiped with pulse weapons is an absolute pile driver - my ol' favorite USS Genocidal.

Hovever as i progressed to captain i got my hands on the galaxy class cruiser. Unfortunately this one is absolute rubbish! 3 galaxy class starships have been overpowered by a single klingon in ker'rat.

So my question is - is it even worth to keep pursuing the "career" in cruisers? Are the Sovereign and Avenger variatns eqally as "tank-not-tank" bad?

I should have gone to science from the beginning. So far in every mmo i've been i've allways been the "wizard" like character with the flashy lightshows but I just couldn't resist the big daddy cruisers...
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-29-2011, 08:15 AM
First let me say, you could be a science officer flying cruisers. Nothing in the game prevents that and there really isn't any disadvantage. So if you still want to be a science officer flying cruisers you can do it.

Looking at stats, the higher tier ships are better than lower tier ships. I'm guessing that the reason you are having trouble in the Galaxy is due to your equipment. I might be wrong on this, but its highly possible.If you want to use Cruiser then by all means do so. There is nothing wrong with them and many people use them successfully.

Hope this helps.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-29-2011, 08:27 AM
No, sorry, not really, my equipment is all purple mark VII!I
Im asking wether is it a fault in the galaxy itself, because 3 of us couldn't kill a single klingon!
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-29-2011, 10:08 AM
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with your career/ship choice. Each arch viable, and each gives a unique game play experience. I should know because I have a VA rank character of every combination.

You may need to reset your expectations a bit. Science/Cruiser isn't going to be as good of a Tank as Engineer/Cruiser. But you Science Captain adds things to the mix an Engineer can't, like Holographic Fleet (extra oomph when you need it), Sensor Scan (AoE Damage Resistance Debuff), and the devastating Subnucleonic Beam. As I like to state it, your ship brings 2/3 of what you can do in space. Your captain brings 1/3 to what you can do.

Engineer/Cruiser: *fires up all of his defense buffs*
Engineer/Cruiser:MUAHAHAHA. For the next 30 seconds, I AM INVINCIBLE!!!
*ZAP*
You: No you're not.

And in the T5 range of Cruisers, you get quite a bit of choices. T5 Ships (of all types) have different focuses. For example, the Star Cruiser is a crioser, but it has the extra science console and ensign bridge station for a Science focus. And The Assault Cruiser likewise have a tactical focus with extra tactical console and bridge station.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Was this your first time in Kerrat? Kerrat is a PVP zone, so you are playing against real players. And they can be up to 9 levels higher than you (if you are Captain 1, and they are Captain 10). A regular PVE set up on your ship is not going to cut it in PVP.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-29-2011, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't blame it on the Galaxy. The ship's only real disadvantage is that it creates new definitions of slow - they are the slowest ships in Starfleet, but there's ways to deal with that by setting them up for broadside combat.

Ker'rat is PVP, and as somebody who's gotten manhandled just as badly in PVP many times, having awesome gear doesn't help if you're up against somebody with a lot more experience. Even if you generally do fairly well.

There's also a very infamous shield exploit that I believe is still on live servers, they had it fixed internally at long last, but that was just a couple days before their holiday break and there wasn't a patch last week. So it's also possible he had a second set of shield facings he could redirect from.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Im afraid you still don't understand: 3 galaxy's vs. 1 klingon, the klingon won! Now either the galaxy is broke or klingon gameplay is broke!

And no, it wasn't my first time. I go there on regular basis to suplement my dilithium supply... Now, im curious: How are you supposed to equip a galaxy for PvP? It turns like a pig and the klingon just blanks you on a single shield without a problem. Science team, eps power taps, and emergency power to shields are just temporary measures.

I honestly can say that my old customized performs better all around, i just updated my gear and it was all fine!
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Hold onto something, cause this might hurt your ego but. . .

have you considered the fact that the klingon just MIGHT have been a better player then all three of you?
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-29-2011, 11:19 AM
The problem doesn't lie with the Galaxy. It has more hull, more console slots, more weapon slots than the Cheyenne. The only disadvantage is the turn rate, which the Klinks will capitalize on. I think the main reason is that the Captain level ships on KDF get a big boost at Captain rank. The raptor gets 4 fore weapon slots at that level, allowing it to run DHC x3 + Torp set up. Not to mention Rapid Fire 3 or Attack Pattern Omega 3.

Also, in your own set up, a PVP build MUST include Tactical Team. Without it, 1 shield facing will melt with a Klingon alpha strike. And with your inability to turn, you are basically toast.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I wasn't ego busted i was shocked, knew i could propably not kill a klingon 1v1 but to kill 3?

So... then... what is a pvp setup for a fed cruiser?