Lt. Commander
My new game…… The reviews are in….

Can you guess the game where these user opinions are from?

Opinion:

“….is is not an MMO, its a lobby game. Zone are instanced. Each server is not one world but a bunch of copies of rooms and channels. The game feels dead because of this. PVP is horridly unbalanced. There is no strategy or skill involved other than to unload your abilities like you would on an NPC monster…. “
(1) SWTOR or STO?

"...You won't fiddle with morality at all, every mission in the game from start to finish requires you to kill everything that moves. There are no choices or decesions to make, no branching of quests or different results based on your actions. You complete each mission by killing everyone, plain and simple..."
(2) SWTOR or STO?

"... The animations are stiff, the voice acting is mediocre at best, and the combat is nothing original. Having the zones instanced makes it feel empty and devoid of life. And when you do actually see groups of people the game is so horribly optimized the game will completely crap itself. Not to mention that they bent my favorite story aspects ..."
(3) SWTOR or STO?

"...Ground combat on the other hand, is as bad as video game can possibly go. you go to a group of enemies, spam your weapon button and hope the enemy dies first. You don't even need to aim or anything, just select a target, spam the button and wait for it to be over.

Server. what can i say? it's laggy... Instances are confusing as hell, half the time you don't know who you're talking to in which instance..."
(4) SWTOR or STO?

"... It tries to be a singleplayer game with dialogue and story yet at the same time it also tires to be a competitive MMO. The fault here is trying to combine the single player and multiplayer elements together which leaves something that just doesn't feel right at all..."
(5) SWTOR or STO?

"... Gameplay is fun and story is great. Flashpoint are fun for some, others feels it needed more work. Some boss fights feel as though they made no sense and your fighting away wondering why they did what they did... Down side is they could have waitted another month or two still on the bugs and fixes ..."
(6) SWTOR or STO?

"... This game has the potential to be all things to all people. Want an online arcade style shoot em up? Well for £40 fro 40 hours content this stacks up as a good purchase even as a stand alone single player game..."
(7) SWTOR or STO?

Answers Follow
Lt. Commander
# 2 Answers
01-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Please mark to see the answers, source of the statements below.

(1) SWTOR
(2) STO
(3) SWTOR
(4) STO
(5) SWTOR
(6) SWTOR
(7) STO

Sources of info :

Link1
Link2
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Well this sucks, just wait for Guild Wars 2 ... it will be the ONE game everyone likes, and makes everything different, innovative and new again ...

Heard that before ?? ... guess this sucks again

Time to start the Hype anyway ....
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKRider

Sources of info :

Link1
Link2[/color]
Metacritic is a fanbase reviewing site, like i posted on a previous thread - I don't do fanbase review sites due to the massive amounts of trolls in those sites - It is apparent thats what has occured.

It goes along the lines like this:

Legitimate SWTOR players
70 22.08%

Trolls
147 46.37%

SWTOR Fans
4 1.26%

Fans of XXXXXXX Game
74 23.34%

none of the above
22 6.94%

As far as the Gamespot review - its obvious it was an initial review posted on Feb 9, 2010 - the game was released Feb 2, 2010 - so your thread is quite bias at that.

If STO was to be reviewed now, I am pretty sure it would be well below the 5.0 rating.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7

If STO was to be reviewed now, I am pretty sure it would be well below the 5.0 rating.
Don't get why it should be lower NOW ... last i checked they improved some stuff since Headstart ... sure you might say it wasn't enough etc ... but still more stuff to do than 2 years ago ...

My PC Game Magazine of Choice, even raised the original review of STO by a view points ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
Metacritic is a fanbase reviewing site, like i posted on a previous thread - I don't do fanbase review sites due to the massive amounts of trolls in those sites - It is apparent thats what has occured.
Absolutly agree ... but thats the same problem with STO and any other Game ...
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-03-2012, 01:49 PM
I'd take those reviews more seriously if the reviewer had reviewed more than two games. Metacritic is troll country.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Excalibur View Post
I'd take those reviews more seriously if the reviewer had reviewed more than two games. Metacritic is troll country.
Actually, don't take any reviewer seriously
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-04-2012, 08:59 AM
STO wins hands down in my book as SWTOR looks like it should of been released on the first original xbox ..

SWTOR = £20 for 60 day timecards just so people can wield a Lightsaber and shoot lightning at folk ...

Lt. Commander
# 9
01-04-2012, 09:39 AM
So much miss understanding in the original game......

My only purpose was to point out that if you remove the SWTOR and STO from the posts..... you find very similar comments.

It shows to me that spending many millions more in development does not buy you a happier fanbase or better _______ (you fill in the blank)

It just seems that the MMO market has gotten fickle.... and the userbase seems to have taken licensee to review the games only on their perception of what it should be instead of some generic and measurable guidelines. I find this more so in MMO's then other types of games.

To elaborate, let's use Skyrim as an example. I cannot tell you how many times I approach a mountain or building and it clips my character or "pieces" of the mountain are missing and I can see the landscape beyond. I've had two or three crashes to the desktop (something I've never experianced with STO) and yet.... generally skyrim get's glowing praise.

I'm not saying that skyrim does not deserve it, nor am I comparing STO to it, just that if STO or SWTOR had those issues, the fanbase would be hot and flaming the developer, producer, manufacturer of the CDROM and wanting to go to war with the country that created the paper used in the packaging.

I find it all entertaining......

================================================== =
Pardon any typos or gramatic issues..... as English is not my strongest language (though it is my only language)