Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 41
01-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suricata View Post
To be honest, I feel far more ripped off by STO, I bought multiple copies of this game for pre.order bonuses and collectors edition perks which I believed were exclusive but were later put on the C-Store, i also bought an LTS in the assumption the game would stay subscription based, due to the fact I've taken breaks from the game, I actually didn't play teh game long enough (month for month) for my intial investment in the LTS to pay off, if I'd just suscribed for the months i've played, I'd of payed less than what I got my LTS for. So in all fairness, I certainly do not feel ripped off by TOR sonce I actually payed far less for it than I did for STO. If anything Cryptics greed in regards to how they marketed the CE's and LTS has set the precedent that many players, such as myself, will never buy a CE or LTS for a game ever again, thus they've actually damaged the MMO industry with the precident they set.
I'm surprised you can say that with a straight face as the SWToR CE was $150.00 ($70.00 higher than the STO CE edition) - and while I just got the plain old $60.00 box (although when I set up the account right after I enter the key code I get a nice HUGE screen asking it I want to digitally upgrade to the 'Deluxe' edition, etc.

Also, there seems to be a lot of rage in game because the 'special store' woth 'special items' that all the $150.00 CE purchasers were given access to, only has minor and expensive 'fluff' - and cries of false advertising abound.

Again, it's just the way marketing works for ANY company, but to xclaim EA is LESS 'money-grubbing' then Cryptic? Lol.

NEITHER company gets props for being 100% honest about perks; BUT, the problem is not really what they said; it's what people ASSUME they 'meant'. That' why I always read any offer with a critical eye; and ALWAYS blow up and read the 4 pt fine print.

Again, Cryptic is any better or worse then ANY MMO developer in that regard and ALWAYS remember the ONLY thing that counts for ANY corporate endeavour (no matter what it is, is the bottom line - profit.

I will say, like you, I bought the LTS on the assumption the game would never go the F2P route - and I figured over its entie lifecycle at worst - I'd get at minimum 24 good played ,monts out of it. That said, I think with the stipend (as long as there is stuff you actually want from tjhe C-Store from time to time) - I'll still get motre than my money's worth, but we'll see.

But a good rule of thumb when looking at ANY cororate offer is; Find and be aware of the loopholes they put in, be skeptical, and NEVER spend mopre than you're willing to, no matter what they say.
Lt. Commander
# 42 Was Amazing During Beta !
01-07-2012, 08:52 AM
You should have seen the forums before the Purge. About 90% of the threads were very helpful and actually aimed towards thought, etc.

Now, post Purge, it is one huge bug-report forum. Hense why I rarely go on it anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
Although from the sounds of it, the amount of cut scenes will be just as obtrusive if not moreso than STO's pop-ups.

'Beta Ursa sector block. Now are you sure Captain? Are you really sure?'
Nope, definitely not. The cut scenes come exactly when you expect cut scenes to come - interacting with someone as part of a quest or getting a quest. You basically feel in control of the game the entire time! And you can even cancel cut scenes (not like some of the few STO cut scenes!)
I also do not remember getting any pop-ups of death in the middle of combat. I don't play any charcters with stealth, but I don't think that my Companion speaking will break it, either.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Begun, the Troll Wars has.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-09-2012, 06:52 AM
I've always know SW fans to be a touch fevered about their ideas and quite rabid in terms of fans. It's like walking into Fenway Park during a Yankees game. You just don't go unless you're that passionate about something.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Just like these forums, most are playing the game and enjoying it or quietly leaving. Only the minority of people are using the forums.

These forums are not exactly all gravy and I think either some of you have forgotten what these forums were like at release or we not here for it. They were also a full of people not happy with the game and even worse, they had paid a lifetime sub so couldn't leave.

That said, I see plenty of negative posts on the TOR forums, but more people posting in the posts are actually positive or at the least telling those not happy to do one (not saying I agree with the do one).

So nope, no worse than these forums were at the begining and even these forums now maybe not as nasty, but that's because not many play or come to the forums....
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-09-2012, 08:27 AM
I will admit I don't know by comparison personally. I wasn't active on the forums for a while after launch. But I've been through my share of them in my time gaming and it's too harsh over there. Too critical of a fun game if you ask me. I play both STO and the SW mmos and I enjoy them both.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-26-2012, 11:57 PM
Does anyone else but me remember the people threatening to sue if they didn't get a full refund of their lifetime subs because you couldn't make liberated bong human characters until like 3 hours after launch?
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-28-2012, 11:20 AM
Meh, I'm starting to see the same things there that I saw here a few months after launch.

Except our Cryptic Defense Force was no where NEAR as crazed fanboys as the Bioware fanboys, and our Anti-Atari Federation was far more mature and less OMG the world is ending than their trolls were.

I like TOR okay, it's a decent game, but it's hardly "all that". After going lifetime on STO and enduring everything from launch onward, things could have been worse.

I will say , sadly, that I suspect those forums are going to get worse, not better. The mods are locking something like 5 or 6 threads an hour, the latest outrage is that the EU players have all the maintenance occurring in their prime time.
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Almost two years ago i was one of the very first to jump on STO at the time i worked (freelance) for a certain PC magazine related to gaming as well as several sites that were hypeing the game quite extensively. Due to my partisipation i was given a limited edition box set (with the T-shirt, the DS9 & TBG uniforms) as well as my own personal online preorder that gave me my Connie.

As Del Taco was a long term sponsor on one of the websites i helped out on i was soon after granted my Type 8 Shuttle pet and thanks to a fresh shiny copy of the classic ST movies i got the Wrath of Khan uniform.

This may seem like a boast post but stick with me for a few seconds longer, each and every single one of those things i gained through preorder or through simple bonuses didnt give me any real advantage in game but simply due to the fan service they continue to bring me eminence joy in game simply from there existence.

Can the same be said for the incredibly inflated price and over hyped trinkets The Old Republic players received? Is it fair that for a $150 payout + a sub fee + micro transactions with no option to free play is even remotely fair?

Almost ever major MMO has come to a simple understanding that F2P (and micro transactions) is the only way to sustain a player base without the demand of impossibly perfect service.

there are exceptions to this, World of ******** is a prime example of digging in the players pockets with both hands DEMANDING a sub fee for access to the whole game while offering micro transactions as a bonus but even they have come to understand that a free player base (even one limited to under Lv20) can and will lead to a more varied player base that will in time improve the game for all.

STO has for me now become the epitome of the modern MMO experience offering 99% of the game free to play with all the highs and lows that brings and simply offering subscribers a little more verity and in game currency in order to boost leveling and crafting skills to give them access to some incredibly cool toys and ship/ground bonuses while STILL offering the same access to the most powerful ship sin the game through a micro transaction system meaning everybody is on a (fairly) even playing field.
Add to this anaversery and loyalty bonuses and you have a wonderful game experience.

\is it perfect? oh god no but the simple fact that you dont HAVE to cough up a monthly fee is glorious and can only lead STO to go from strength to strength leaving in other space based MMO's wondering where there playerbase has vanished off to while ours continues to grow and grow.