Lt. Commander
# 121
01-04-2012, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
(Also, I really hate to put analogies of fictional characters to real people, but I feel that Sdangelo is Scotty to Dstahl's Kirk. He's just as capable and competent in the Captain's chair, but where Kirk will bluff with confidence and a smile to convince the opponent that the ship is more ready or powerful than it is, Scotty knows what the ship is actually capable of and will play it safe and on the down-low to surprise the opponent when they underestimate its capabilities... or give a "high estimate" for readiness so it comes out as a surprise when they're ready early or in "the nick of time")
In my own experience in writing technical documents for my company, I have always subscribed to Scotty's "A good Engineer is a wee bit conservative; at least on paper" attitude. I know that there is very little difference in a Intel Dual Core processor at 2.5 GHz compared to the same processor at 2.3 GHz (when it comes to the software we sell/support). Put it this way, if a client of mine had a 2.3 GHz processor yet the min specs said 2.5 GHz, I would probably pass it along (with noting to the client and on their account that this system was below specs and it "MAY" have performance issues) know that they should be ok in most instances. If the system was 2.0 GHz, then my answer would be to replace the system.

In my book, I have washed 2011 out and I am logging everything in for 2012. I don't want to see broken promises or items being planned for and hyped up only to fizzle out. While 2-3 FE seems a low ball number, it should be doable (considering they did FE #1 around Oct 2010 and finished #3 in March 2011) and I hope there is room for more. I have 1 account on a lifetime, 1 at a 6 month sub, and 1 at a monthly sub plus I am buying as much from the C-store on the other two accounts (for items that are account wide unlocks). I love this game and I continue to see improvements which is why I continue to play.

Here is to 2012 being the year of "much better than 2011". Salute *

Matt

* Since PWEBranFlakes uses "Cheers" in his closing, I didn't want to be accused of impersonating a dev, even if a little bit. Today is my birthday and I hope I will be getting a good preseant at work; my job promotion which has been 8 months in the works. So this is me channeling all of the positive karma out there and not stepping on anyones toes.
Lt. Commander
# 122
01-04-2012, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
I'm sorry that the news that we can't produce more featured episodes is a surprise. I was not aware that anyone indicated that it might be possible to get a more continuous stream of them going.
You may want to change the terminology of the Featured Episode series on the F2P page then. People may get the wrong impression about how frequently they are going to be coming out.

Quote:
Episodic Gameplay – Experience new weekly episodes that feature story-based gameplay and put your captain's ability to command to the ultimate test.
Yes, a similar term is used for a TV show.. but that is something for TV and not a video game. Some people will think differently. I know to me, even though I know you guys are so understaffed, that reads to me as if starting January 17th you guys will be releasing a new episode every week. Yes, others will read it differently and say it's not.. but to me the term 'weekly' is extremely misleading considering that it's something that you guys may not even be able to achieve.
Lt. Commander
# 123
01-04-2012, 03:27 AM
Quote:
I'm not sure where some people got the impression that the STO team was staffed up. We're trying to staff up, but the team is not any larger than it has been in the past... and is smaller in some critical areas. Staffing up will take time. I didn't talk about the second half of 2012, because we hope to do a lot more once we have more staff... but it depends on a lot on how successful we are at finding the right people to hire.

I'm sorry that the news that we can't produce more featured episodes is a surprise. I was not aware that anyone indicated that it might be possible to get a more continuous stream of them going. I was really happy that I might be able to get 3 series out in one year, and getting 3 serious out seemed like an "epic win" for the dev team to me... but I didn't know that anyone had expectations that more than 3 series in a year was possible. I don't really think it is possible unless the team grows significantly. So I'm sorry that I get to break the news to you all.

The Klingon faction work is definitely on 2012's list, but I can't promise any date or details at this time. Once I have a more confident dev schedule, I'll share what I know. I don't want to share anything until I have an actual dev schedule that makes it very likely to happen.

I'm also sorry about how little came to the game in the middle of 2011. I can't do anything to change the past, though. I inherited the game as it was in late September, and I'm doing my best to bring you as all much as I can as quickly as I can.

I'm also trying to set realistic expectations with you all about what the team can do and plans to deliver. The STO dev team is amazing, and while they can't do everything that this forum crowd apparently wants, I think that 2012 is going to be a great year for the game.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online

Stephen, first of all, thank you for being so communicative, I appreciate it, as I am certain many others do.

I have a question that I hope will be able to be answered, regarding the upcoming FED and KDF flagship releases. I know you stated they would be unlock-able via an in game currency, but I was wondering what that currency might be, and if possible at least a ball park of how much it'll cost. Should I be playing dabo or doing dailies to earn the currency? Or maybe working the exchange? I'd hate to spend the next month grinding dilithium to find that the ships will be from GPL, and vice versa.
Lt. Commander
# 124
01-04-2012, 03:29 AM
Quote:
I'm sorry that the news that we can't produce more featured episodes is a surprise. I was not aware that anyone indicated that it might be possible to get a more continuous stream of them going. I was really happy that I might be able to get 3 series out in one year, and getting 3 serious out seemed like an "epic win" for the dev team to me... but I didn't know that anyone had expectations that more than 3 series in a year was possible. I don't really think it is possible unless the team grows significantly. So I'm sorry that I get to break the news to you all.
Well first DStahl did more than indicate it ... but i get that might have been to optimistic ...

Second, you could say it already WAS possible in the past ... looking back to Sept. 2010 to November 2010, there were 2 FE in 3 Months ... so it was obviously possible for 3 months, why not for the rest of the year(s) ... [12 Months : 3 Months = 4 -> 4x 2FEs = 8 possible Featured Episodes a year]
Even with doing that math with all of the FE's ... all 3 of them in 6 months pretty much indicates, that you are at least able to do 6 a year [at least for people who can add 3 and 3 together ....]
Only reasons I can think of why it's not possible now is :
1. Half of your staff was fired (that i would understand)
2. You're focussing on other aspects of the game (reading this entire Thread, I doubt that's what your costumers want)

Sure, I get that you took time in 2011 to revamp things like Ground Combat etc, which takes time, too ...

But if you continue to revamp stuff over and over, I'm pretty sure you're betting on the wrong horse here...

Well at least 3 FE a year is better than ever (except Sept-Nov 2010), and I'll see how this goes ... if every new FE has a new sector with stuff to do like Defera etc, i might be happy with 3 FE's a year ... but I might always wish myself back to late 2010 ...

Thanks for the response anyway, at least I can appreciate your honesty !
Lt. Commander
# 125
01-04-2012, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-of-Nine
I have a question that I hope will be able to be answered, regarding the upcoming FED and KDF flagship releases. I know you stated they would be unlock-able via an in game currency, but I was wondering what that currency might be, and if possible at least a ball park of how much it'll cost. Should I be playing dabo or doing dailies to earn the currency? Or maybe working the exchange? I'd hate to spend the next month grinding dilithium to find that the ships will be from GPL, and vice versa.
It won't be the Dabo thing. GPL is apparently slated to be a "social currency". Essentially buying fluff. It won't be EC, since that buys nothing of consequence, and there's not enough in game sinks yet, and not enough of it has been funnelled out. Essentially if they put it up for EC they'll be "giving it away" and they aren't going to do that.

It will likely be either a farmable drop that you'll need a billion of and have to grind STFs for until your eyes bleed and you get carpal tunnel. Either that or it will be for Dilithium since with the DExchange that allows them to have it in the game for CPoints without having in the CStore, thus allowing them to say, "Hey, we didn't stick it in the Store, aren't you happy!? Look at how much we do for you!" all while still getting people to pay through the nose for CPoints to auction off for the DIlithium they'll need to buy it.

Between the two options I'd lean toward Dilithium, after all what's been added lately that hasn't been monetized? Or hey, maybe they'll combine it and you'll have to endlessly farm Dilithium (or buy it) AND endlessly farm STF drops! Yay! Let's all pretend that farming is a good substitute for Features Series and constitutes fun content now! \o/
Lt. Commander
# 126
01-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Quote:
I'm also sorry about how little came to the game in the middle of 2011. I can't do anything to change the past, though. I inherited the game as it was in late September, and I'm doing my best to bring you as all much as I can as quickly as I can.
But there is a way to change the past! Just have a talk with Drake from Section 31, go to Bepi 311 system and go back on time to change it .

Speaking seriously, it is bad news hearing that the team didn't grow. I heard that they were hiring people, and I though they were already sucessful on this, and the delay on getting a faster rythim on delivering content was that these people were on a training phase. But sincerity on what is planned is aprecciated, even if it is not what exactly what I was looking for (missions for instance). Just wish good luck to the Dev team on finding more people to hire. And looking on what is planned, if they manage to make it becoming true, it definetely will be better than 2011. Not exactly what I would expect to a great year, but perhaps a start for having a great year on 2013.
Lt. Commander
# 127
01-04-2012, 04:53 AM
I usually do not participate in the forum rage mob, but this really got me to break my own rules.

Quote:
It's unfortunately impractical to deliver story content all the time. In fact, story content will mostly be coming through the featured episodes (with somewhere between 9 and 13 episodes next year as per above).
Like it was stated a lot of times, Stahl promised up to 10 FE series a year, which seemed like heaven to all of us. Believe it or not, but the general opinion in this thread seems not that much a vocal minority here, but a rather adequate picture of what the community feels like.
While there is a PVP crowd that really has been neglected for a long time, the majority of players is waiting for storycontent, that only you can deliver.
While its fun to blast away some borg in STF missions, thats nothing for a long time motivation once I have made the killer grind to equip all my toons with MkXI gear (and now donīt tell e there is still MkXII to go).
While I think the foundry is a nice tool, the missions rarely have the assets needed for a good team experience mission. Most of the really good foundry mission are best played solo because of the massive reading.
So in my eyes (and from a good deal of other people I know) getting more PVE content in line is what will keep this game running.
While the other improvements (I especially loved the Defera Ground offensive) are nice and in some cases badly needed, what STO needs to keep the veterans active is new storyline content.
Lt. Commander
# 128
01-04-2012, 05:26 AM
As someone who has been playing the game since like the first or second week (can't remember), I have to admit that I'm not massively unimpressed, rather the opposite.

Whilst I'm not the biggest of ST fans, I have seen all bar "Enterprise" series', and all the films, and yes I enjoy the universe which is what drew me to the game in the first place.

However, my point is this, since launch I have seen some rediculous amount of good work in this game. Knowing what I know from press releases, posts, news articles and therefore knowing what Cryptic inherited from Perpetual I for one pat them on the back. You could literally call Cryptic an indie studio back then due to their size at the time from what I gathered.
To see what I mean in terms of what's been done, just look at ZER0B4NG's picasa's album for the concept artwork, some of which is only in game now!

The simple truth is, STO had to be launched by a certain time or it would be binned, so I salute Cryptic for working it's damndest to get it out the door in a working state after all the let-downs from Perpetual. The only problem is that they were damned if they do and damned if they don't, because different people want different things.

So, my opinion is, instead of looking at the negativity due in part to internal politics / attrition / etc and people here second guessing, we should be instead concentrating on what we would like to see. I.e. would people prefer less FE's and potentially another sector space / big event thingy? or more FE's? what's more for people? I for one would like more to do in Sol, e.g. more to do ESD (maybe more levels in the station?) and to see Utopia Planetia, but that's just me everyone is different

at the end of the day, there's only so much bacon to go around
Lt. Commander
# 129
01-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Out of curiuosity, where is the KDF upgrade in relation to season 6?

Quote:

The Klingon faction work is definitely on 2012's list, but I can't promise any date or details at this time. Once I have a more confident dev schedule, I'll share what I know. I don't want to share anything until I have an actual dev schedule that makes it very likely to happen.
NVM, got my answer and no worries, promises are like water. Overlooked until someone thirsts.
Lt. Commander
Dear oh dear, what a lot of whiners and moaners out there. Someone told me that they never read the forums because they are populated by people that simply enjoy moaning and no matter what happens they will find time to moan and whine about this that and the other.

Now I am a life long Star Trek fan and to think that this franchise is appraoching it's 50 year anniversary is just incredible. It has survived because of it's vision, an optimistic view of the future of mankind living in partnership wiht hundreds of other races and cultures, exploring unkown worlds and spreading across the galaxy seeking out new life and civilisations. Star Trek Online is THE game I have been waiting for my whole life. If the Star Trek universe ever actually exists in the future I will be long dead, buried and forgetton about when it happens, so THIS is as close as I can get. If I were Stephen and the team I would be very demoralised reading some of the intensely negative feedback from the forums, man they must have thick skin! Fortunately it is also their job and they get paid to work on it or to be sure they'd just never bother.

Star Trek will continue, as online games, films, books, cartoons, tv shows until eventually it becomes a reality. I understand that Cryptic have other games they develop, Champions and some others I think. I am only interested in STO, I'm not interested in TOR because although I liked the films they are basically fantasy driven adventures in a sci-fi context, they could never become a reality. What differentiates ST from SW is that it is a feasible future outcome, people have clicked on to that idea since launch in the sixties, it provides hope for all mankind.

With that in mind then Stephen perhaps you should look at the overall direction Cryptic is going and abandon your other ventures concentrating on the most successful francise of all time. I would assume, although I have no figures to back this up but it seems logical, that if ALL the resources of Cryptic were thrown at STO then all the things that the players want would be easier to achieve, the game would easily compete with TOR and surely be more profitable and successful than Champions.

Take a bold step Stephen, devote your team to STO exclusively, it is no gamble, fifty years of intense fan based dedication have proven that it is the future we all want, name one person on this planet who does not know who Captain Kirk is or what the USS Enterprise is, NASA even named a real space ship after it.

Me, well I love this game more than any other I've ever played, I will continue to pay my three subs per month (myself and two children) and look forward to the future of this incredible game. I wish you all the luck in the world Cryptic and thank you for helping me get close to an adventure I know I will never see in real life.