Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 131
01-04-2012, 04:32 AM
No grab bag for Odyssey please please please.......
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 132 It's a big disappointment
01-04-2012, 04:54 AM
I too thought we would be seeing 5 series a year or more once they were staffed up and f2p went into effect. I figured they'd need that to keep people interested and not moving to some other game with lots of new content, like TOR or Diablo3 (coming in March), or Guild Wars 2, or lots and lots of other games. When people leave to play one of those, you lost the money they'd have spent if they were still playing STO. And not having new story missions to do will mean that people will leave. They wont be nickel and dimed forever when they've done every bit of content you have, and the new players wont take that long to catch up to us.

I suppose I can be grateful that decisions have been made for me. Why exactly do I care about STO in January, when the new FEs will come in February? Why would I then care about STO in March, when Diablo 3 will come out that month? I guess I'll spend significant portions of 2012 playing something else. Why exactly would I stay for what you guys are doing in comparison?

I might be on board with all that "we can't make featured episodes very quickly" mantra if I hadn't seen what the Foundry authors have been doing without your tools and without 4 year degrees and being professionals. You guys could have come up with dozens of FE quality episodes just by adapting Foundry content. Foundry authors make great missions in apparently 1/10 the time you guys can. By themselves while you have a team. You have had time to revamp the whole game that isn't content, and make it something to monetize people who were already paying you. But no new FEs in almost a year, and only a quarter of the year will see any this year. It's rather astaounding to me.

I don't see how you guys get Klingons into a real faction within a year if this is how you're going to do things. FEs are great for everyone but they often do not work equally well for kdf and Federation. KDF needs KDF content, and more of it than we have now. And with your schedule it sounds like 2013 at best for it.

It's sounding pretty much like fail from here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 133
01-04-2012, 05:27 AM
Hm. Enhancement of key parts of the game you say.
Unfortunately nothing is said about the things I consider "key parts". That would be the current exploration system which I just want to avoid. A good idea here would get me back to the game immediately (I'd still vote for the incorporation of the foundry!). Or the really useless Deep Space Encounters (I would love to have these as rescue missions where a ship sends a distress signal you follow; and there shouldn't be a "reset" time, this counter so takes me out of the feeling of a living world!).
What about the bad animations on the ground, especially concerning the interaction between your character and used objects. My Captain definitively does not know where the console stands he types on. Crates just flash until used (again my Captain can open chests while operating in the wrong direction - must be magic). Do you know the weapon chests in the Borderlands game? THESE are cool SciFi containers. In overall does STO lack an interactive world. So I will never see cool endgame stuff because everything feels so dull over time I quit playing eventually. Yes yes, I return regularly, I am a big Star Trek fan after all :-)
But like someone said above me: I am also a big fan of GuildWars, played the first game for six years. If STO doesn't get rounded up and interesting until GuildWars2 is released it could happen I forget about the game for a long time.

On the other hand my wishes could be implemented until then, perhaps not such a bad idea ;-)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 134
01-04-2012, 05:28 AM
This is atrociously disappointing.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 135
01-04-2012, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJimLitchfield
Dear oh dear, what a lot of whiners and moaners out there. Someone told me that they never read the forums because they are populated by people that simply enjoy moaning and no matter what happens they will find time to moan and whine about this that and the other.

Now I am a life long Star Trek fan and to think that this franchise is appraoching it's 50 year anniversary is just incredible. It has survived because of it's vision, an optimistic view of the future of mankind living in partnership wiht hundreds of other races and cultures, exploring unkown worlds and spreading across the galaxy seeking out new life and civilisations. Star Trek Online is THE game I have been waiting for my whole life. If the Star Trek universe ever actually exists in the future I will be long dead, buried and forgetton about when it happens, so THIS is as close as I can get. If I were Stephen and the team I would be very demoralised reading some of the intensely negative feedback from the forums, man they must have thick skin! Fortunately it is also their job and they get paid to work on it or to be sure they'd just never bother.

Star Trek will continue, as online games, films, books, cartoons, tv shows until eventually it becomes a reality. I understand that Cryptic have other games they develop, Champions and some others I think. I am only interested in STO, I'm not interested in TOR because although I liked the films they are basically fantasy driven adventures in a sci-fi context, they could never become a reality. What differentiates ST from SW is that it is a feasible future outcome, people have clicked on to that idea since launch in the sixties, it provides hope for all mankind.

With that in mind then Stephen perhaps you should look at the overall direction Cryptic is going and abandon your other ventures concentrating on the most successful francise of all time. I would assume, although I have no figures to back this up but it seems logical, that if ALL the resources of Cryptic were thrown at STO then all the things that the players want would be easier to achieve, the game would easily compete with TOR and surely be more profitable and successful than Champions.

Take a bold step Stephen, devote your team to STO exclusively, it is no gamble, fifty years of intense fan based dedication have proven that it is the future we all want, name one person on this planet who does not know who Captain Kirk is or what the USS Enterprise is, NASA even named a real space ship after it.

Me, well I love this game more than any other I've ever played, I will continue to pay my three subs per month (myself and two children) and look forward to the future of this incredible game. I wish you all the luck in the world Cryptic and thank you for helping me get close to an adventure I know I will never see in real life.
No JIm. Cryptic went World of Star Trek rather then use something like EVE as inspiration. It will NEVER be a long lived game. Want proof? Look at PWE's other games. In China and other asian regions in which PWE operates they do well, but in english speaking regions they flounder because we do NOT want to be nickled and dimmed for everything.

And sure, they might be demoralised, but we whinge with reason. If Cryptic didnt break every promise. If the developers pulled their collective fingers out of their... ahem... and actually worked on developing REAL content for the game (lack of staff is a load of crap. All the neccessary game resources already exist for new missions) rather then give us a shiny lightsaber... I mean glowing bat'leth and call that "new content".

I have been playing since closed beta. I have a lifetime sub. Because of the length of time the game has been in operation, it feels more like a beta game now compared to when it first went live. At least then, for 6 months or so, we were getting updates and content and fixes.

Face it, Cryptic, with the hep of Atari and PWE, have killed the possibility of a truely spectacular science fiction game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 136
01-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
I'm not sure where some people got the impression that the STO team was staffed up. We're trying to staff up, but the team is not any larger than it has been in the past...

<snip>

I'm sorry that the news that we can't produce more featured episodes is a surprise. I was not aware that anyone indicated that it might be possible to get a more continuous stream of them going. I was really happy that I might be able to get 3 series out in one year, and getting 3 serious out seemed like an "epic win" for the dev team to me... but I didn't know that anyone had expectations that more than 3 series in a year was possible. I don't really think it is possible unless the team grows significantly. So I'm sorry that I get to break the news to you all.

<snip>

@Staffed up...

well we got the impression because dStahl told us that you guys are running on minimum Staffing, and Atari put in a hiring stop for the last few months when they wanted to sell you, also we've seen your Open Positions page.

Then we SEE Borticus, Brandon join your team. Also a new Shipguy was just shown to us by Logan per Twitter that he is training (it's about time! i hope you put one of them to fixing old stuff and the other to making new stuff, the list of Ship errors is getting longer with every new ship and very rarely any shorter).


@FE's

Well dStahl was kinda preaching it every time a Series was made, released or even teased, in every Interview and on the Forum that he WANTS these things to go weekly, that he changed schedules to make it happen and what not.

I think that was a lot of wishful thinking on his part because he seemed to like them as much as we did.
He was on the Forums and seen the super positive feedback while it happened... maybe you still need to see that happen, so far you've only gotten the hate about all those F2P / Season 5 changes.
So and how the community reacted to Quality Content (instead of broken half finished things).

So please, try to pump it up to 5-6 FE's so that we at least can have one every 2 Months?
(also right now we are used to the thinking that there is no other content than FE's, we only got 3 "Remastered Episodes" and the Red Alerts in terms of playable content besides the FE's in a long time.... things like the Deferi Invasion will only get in my head as new CONTENT if i can actually play it... if it is on for 6 hours a week or so... then that's nothing i can play on my own Terms.)

For comparison when Star Trek is on TV there are 26 new Episodes per Season/Year... and no one ever thinks that THAT is enough ;P

so you say 15 Missions per year...
then i will see $15 per month = $180 base cost for a game that gives me 3 Mission DLC's.
For $180 i'd expect the content of 3 new Retail games... not just 15 Missions i can play on a long weekend.
Well at least that was how it was for the past 2 years.

F2P is a game changer, if you want to keep those people playing, you need to ENTERTAIN them.


In an MMO that ... i would expect is build for FAST content creation, i would expect this to be possible.


You can add as many Transwarp buttons and Difficulty Slider options as you want, awesome, but don't forget that we are here because we want to PLAY!

We had 2 Years of heavy Feature updates now, it's time to slow that down a bit and focus on creating a Playground so we can PLAY with the TOYS you want to sell to us in the C-Store.



...
Also get somebody on doing official "Foundry Spotlights" again... things have been very silent around the Foundry lately, too silent.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 137
01-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
I'm not sure where some people got the impression that the STO team was staffed up. We're trying to staff up, but the team is not any larger than it has been in the past... and is smaller in some critical areas. Staffing up will take time. I didn't talk about the second half of 2012, because we hope to do a lot more once we have more staff... but it depends on a lot on how successful we are at finding the right people to hire.

I'm sorry that the news that we can't produce more featured episodes is a surprise. I was not aware that anyone indicated that it might be possible to get a more continuous stream of them going. I was really happy that I might be able to get 3 series out in one year, and getting 3 serious out seemed like an "epic win" for the dev team to me... but I didn't know that anyone had expectations that more than 3 series in a year was possible. I don't really think it is possible unless the team grows significantly. So I'm sorry that I get to break the news to you all.

The Klingon faction work is definitely on 2012's list, but I can't promise any date or details at this time. Once I have a more confident dev schedule, I'll share what I know. I don't want to share anything until I have an actual dev schedule that makes it very likely to happen.

I'm also sorry about how little came to the game in the middle of 2011. I can't do anything to change the past, though. I inherited the game as it was in late September, and I'm doing my best to bring you as all much as I can as quickly as I can.

I'm also trying to set realistic expectations with you all about what the team can do and plans to deliver. The STO dev team is amazing, and while they can't do everything that this forum crowd apparently wants, I think that 2012 is going to be a great year for the game.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
This is the most concentrated gem of truth I've seen on these forums in a really long time. Please do keep it up.
EB
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 138
01-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I hate to say it, but onlt 2 or 3 series per year is pretty much an epic fail.
Agreed. Epic Fail. Come on Cryptic we want story not shinies!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 139
01-04-2012, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I hate to say it, but onlt 2 or 3 series per year is pretty much an epic fail.
Sad thing is, i always thought the "big content drought" was because they took time to revamp the stuff, that afterwards they could work on more missions ....

Well :
Before the content drought : 3 FE's in 6 months
After the content drought / F2P Changes : 3 FE's .... well 2 FE's in an entire year

something must have gone horribly wrong ...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 140
01-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
I was not aware that anyone indicated that it might be possible to get a more continuous stream of them going.
After the initial, resounding success of the Featured Episodes it was mentioned that there was a goal of making these a regular addition to the game.

It's great there are other things being added but in all honesty things like Q's Winter Wonderland, The Deferi Event (which I rarely seems to fall into a timeslot I'm available to play), light saber weapons, some tricked out DOFFs, a unique ship available only as a very rare random drop....

These things aren't making this a great game. Some are just mildly entertaining diversions, others are just down right annoying and well the light saber weapons are just silly. If they were supplementing rich Star Trek based content that put me in the Captain's chair of my ship those would be cute additions to an otherwise deep experience.

However the fact that THIS is the content we have, and are the kinds of things we should be expecting, really doesn't entice me to keep logging in.

I suppose it makes sense, the fewer veteran players logging in the more server resources there will be for the new free to play guys to hop in and start spending money in the C-Store. After all that IS where the continued financial success of the game is right? New players come in to the game for free and spending their pennies on micro transactions...
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:38 AM.