Lt. Commander
# 201
01-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-A-T-H-F-I-N-D-E-R
I don't think so. ... The are spirally up but it always takes a lot of thrust to get back into the air after a crash landing.

Previous management left a lot of holes in the game to where they are having to do a lot of rebuilding and restructuring.
What the game could have been WILL be dead on the F2P day...STO will sadly be nothing but an average F2P asian market MMO...Star Trek deserved so much more....I no longer blame Cryptic from not having official events at Star Trek conventions anymore...I'd hide in shame too.
Lt. Commander
# 202 More Story Missions Please.
01-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
The big problem to me is that you are focusing on the wrong things. STO is short on storyline content more than anything, so why aren't you going all out to fix that deficit? The other stuff you're focusing on should not be the priority...

It's fine if you do 2 FEs a year, but you need to add non-FE missions every week or every other week. Why can't you get a 3 man team working with Foundry type tools to just pump these basic missions out? ...Maybe not every single one would be an amazing mission, but it would be a decent mission, and it would give people something to do....
Well said Nagorak. I, too, don't understand why making Story Missions is "so difficult". Yes, we all love the FEs. And I know way back after the release of the first one Cryptic asked which we wanted: Fewer but Awesome Missions or More So-So Missions. People, including myself, voted for the former. But I think we were sold on the idea we'd be getting them still fairly frequently, a handful of 4-6ep arcs a year. And I'm sure I didn't think it meant that would be the only new "content" (story missions) we'd see.

The game needs story missions.

Featured Episodes are awesome: Each with VOs, cinematics, new game assets, new prizes, etc. Regular "Event" material, to be sure. But getting only 2-3 series, 8-15 missions a year? Not so much.

Give us regularlly a new "Generic" episode. As Nagorak says, if you had a team doing just that they should turn out one every 1 or 2 weeks. Can't afford a team? Get one guy and that's all he does. Uses the foundry to kick out a new epiosodes every 3-4 weeks. Make some faction neutral, make some Fed/KDF only. These new generics can continue existing in-game story lines, be new 2-3 episode arcs, or just simple one-shot missions.

Rewards? Basic XP. Add a selection box like you do with the Investigate Officer Reports wrapper: Level Appropriate Item or Dilithium Ore Crate. Again, nothing new that requires programming, balancing, extensive testing, etc.

With 8-15 high calibur FE missions and a dozen-plus generics a year? Throw in the other "small things" you talked about (special weekends, "lightsaber" of the week items, events, Q surprises, etc.).

I'd be happy with that. Hell, that's a game I could be proud of!

Make that your priority.

Lt. Commander
# 203
01-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I hate to say it, but onlt 2 or 3 series per year is pretty much an epic fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
This is atrociously disappointing.
Ok , who are you and what have you done with the real nynik and Grand.Nagus ?
You have upset The Balance by saying such negative things . That's the rest of the forum's job . The Deferi want their Balance back (and not just 3 times a week at odd hours) .
So to change the pace ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havraha View Post
do a cold call of experienced Foundry authors to make officialized content for you via the Foundry. If you don't have the staff, then let the players make content that gets looked over and touched up on by Cryptic devs and officilalized, at least for a while.
Up until the news of 2-3 FE's a year , I was against player created content becoming "official" .
In a way I still am .
But I have a midway solution (sorta) :

Have Cryptic publish a script for a FE . Give said script to a selected group (or the general player base) and let them take a crack at making the mission in the Foundry .
At that point (say 2 months down the road) Cryptic can choose the mission they likes best , give it a "polish" (a few new assets) , and publish it .
This can be done as a contest for an existing ingame prize .

Just a thought ...

p.s. Thanks for the impromptu updates Mr. D'Angelo .
It's not the news we wanted to hear , but the candor is much appreciated !!
p.p.s Moar contents please !!! Yes , the story based kind , just like everybody said -- but I'd settle for moar STF's too !
Lt. Commander
# 204
01-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
So very much this.

I think the big hang-up is designing maps. Cryptic gets so tied up DESIGNING and RE-DESIGNING games that they've never mastered making them. When it comes to design and especially artists and communication, they excel.

But new missions don't need new maps and maps are what eat up the time. We had content people who spent months making maps over the summer and those maps get used for hourly and weekly events. They spend weeks assembling FEs and the maps get used once.

Content is not about a dozen shiny things every time.

Look at MMOs with large persistent worlds. I think Cryptic looks at those and sees a resource waste and a lot of stuff they maybe don't have the resources to do.

But they throw new quests into old zones. Like when you get sent to Un'goro in Wrath of the Lich King. Heck, a game like WoW doesn't have all purpose content people per se -- they have people whose job it is to sit around writing missions that don't call for much in the way of new maps.

We've got Kestrel who doesn't even get to just do that. And we're seeing maps continued to be churned out when there aren't even purposes for all of the ones that are there.

Maps and systems aren't what people are baying for when they say they want content, for the most part.

People want stories.

Heck, Trek is a franchise that's all about reusing a handful of sets and SFX shots. Most of it is stock footage and a handful of sets built for a pilot episode.

And this is where I get frustrated with Cryptic. I like you guys as human beings but I don't know how you manage to come from such a different place on some of these things.

It feels like you're almost scared of being storytellers. The stuff you do daily is so much harder than telling stories and it's like you guys either don't value telling stories or you don't know what they are or you have stage fright that is interfering with your ability to provide the product that people have wanted to pay you for since day one..
Totally agree with this! Why don't you give us an exploration planet for Feds & a hunting planet for KDF. It would consist of different continents of different climates and terrains. There would be caves and obstacles that would have to be negotiated as a problem solving challenge. There would even be hostile creatures to defend against (Feds), or hunt (Klingon hunting ground). Mini missions could even be placed on the planet like an archeological mission (e.g. TNG: The Chase).

There would be rewards scattered all over the planet that would randomly spawn as with the anomalies in the space exploration, hidden as with opening crates, and various levels of rewards like the winter wonderland blue, red, and green boxes.

You could even have a dilithium mine discovery challenge that would take place once per month for 1 week only in a secret location on the planet. It would be a very large find that only 5 players could receive. Once the very large find has been discovered by 5 different players (only one find per player), it would disappear. A message would update everyone on the planet how many are left, what player has just found some, and when they have all been found. The dilithium piles would all be in different locations and only one would be present at any one time. Once one has been found the next would spawn. Each month they would be in different locations with the possibility you may have to fight it out against another player and or hostiles to get to it first.
Lt. Commander
# 205
01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
Just an addit - despite what I've stated above, storyline and new missions is the priority. But the exploration/ KDF hunting ground planets would help pass the time, assist with crafting, and contribute to dilithium/ cryptic point accumulation.
Lt. Commander
# 206
01-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
The Odyssey class starship and the new Klingon Flagship will be available through game play using in game currencies (this is a promise). There may be variants of these ships in the C-Store at a later date, but you will definitely be able to get these ships in game. We'll reveal more about how they will be available later this month.

To set expectations on featured episode series, I think it's realistic for the development team to produce two or three series a year. I know we can fit in two series in 2012 and I'm trying to build a schedule to get a third one in, but it's not clear that it'll happen. As it is right now, you can expect the second series of the year to come out a little after the Season 6 launch, probably in July. (Note that once again this is a forward looking statement and not a promise, because pretty much anything could change by then.)

It's my belief that it takes a range of game play options to keep the game going. When it comes to my "something new" comment, I am thinking broadly. Consider how December went. We did the launch one week, Q's Wonderland event started the next week, the Duty Officer event the third week, and the nanopulse weapons in the fourth week. That's "something new every week" by my definition. And I think that the majority of players liked that there was something new (even if it was small) happening regularly.

It's unfortunately impractical to deliver story content all the time. In fact, story content will mostly be coming through the featured episodes (with somewhere between 9 and 13 episodes next year as per above). I'm working hard to get in more special events (like the Q's Winter Wonderland), more calendar events (like the Mirror Universe or Starfleet Academy), more content that is repeatable (like the STFs), and more fun little weekend events (like the recent Duty Officer weekend). We'll also sprinkle in things like the Duty Officer expansion and some new game features. There are a lot of ways to provide something new to you all.

And I'm totally okay with people being skeptical about delivery. Until the game builds a track record of delivery, feel free to be skeptical. We're working hard, though, to get things on track. I think December was a nice start, and that the next few months should prove out that we have the development team delivering. I'm sorry for the apparent stall in January, but the free-to-play conversion is a LOT of work and necessitated a brief slow down.

Happy new year everyone!

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Will players get a free coin to get the new ship, or will you have to spend in energy credits or dilithium for it?
Lt. Commander
# 207
01-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Here's a hint: Not every season of Trek was an ever-escelating even more eventful special effects experience. We are more than satisfied with the current tech in the FE's, you don't have to try and impress us with flashy new stuff every FE. One bigger and badder one a year works just fine, if you will produce ones based off the technology you have already, using the handy tools you've already provided to us that actually work rather fantastically, and you will actually *GASP* be able to pull off producing a reasonable amount of content (not fluff content, actual meat on the table things to do) in a year.

And you need to get a crazy ton of extra side missions out. If Stahl could produce two FE's worth of side missions using nothing but the currently available foundry tools, and a few hours of spare coding from various people, you certainly should be able to now. And you need to in order to keep this game going.
Lt. Commander
# 208
01-06-2012, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Richardson View Post
Here's a hint: Not every season of Trek was an ever-escelating even more eventful special effects experience. We are more than satisfied with the current tech in the FE's, you don't have to try and impress us with flashy new stuff every FE. One bigger and badder one a year works just fine, if you will produce ones based off the technology you have already, using the handy tools you've already provided to us that actually work rather fantastically, and you will actually *GASP* be able to pull off producing a reasonable amount of content (not fluff content, actual meat on the table things to do) in a year.

And you need to get a crazy ton of extra side missions out. If Stahl could produce two FE's worth of side missions using nothing but the currently available foundry tools, and a few hours of spare coding from various people, you certainly should be able to now. And you need to in order to keep this game going.
I'm really curious to see how STOked reports this because Chris had a whole bit a few weeks ago where he basically said that, yes, the game has flaws and, 'yes, he's biased in favor of it but that he is pretty much solely because this is the one source of "Prime Universe" Trek storylines for him.

The comics barely touch on anything after Nemesis. Some people actually prefer this game's storyline to the novels and it helps that the game is visual.

You basically had the biggest walking advertisement for STO in the form of Chris say that, for him, it's all about the potential for more story.

And if story is that far on the backburner, I'm afraid you'll even lose HIM.

When Chris from STOked gets disheartened, you've gone off the rails.

I'll be watching his reaction to this closely.
Lt. Commander
# 209
01-06-2012, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm really curious to see how STOked reports this because Chris had a whole bit a few weeks ago where he basically said that, yes, the game has flaws and, 'yes, he's biased in favor of it but that he is pretty much solely because this is the one source of "Prime Universe" Trek storylines for him.

The comics barely touch on anything after Nemesis. Some people actually prefer this game's storyline to the novels and it helps that the game is visual.

You basically had the biggest walking advertisement for STO in the form of Chris say that, for him, it's all about the potential for more story.

And if story is that far on the backburner, I'm afraid you'll even lose HIM.

When Chris from STOked gets disheartened, you've gone off the rails.

I'll be watching his reaction to this closely.
In Zero's Priority One interview in November (where you had a question for her answered, btw) she talks about how long it actually takes to make FEs. It's at least 5 weeks on average. And this coming from someone who managed the Foundry. She talks about episode production at around 33:30. The majority of the work done through the PWE acquisition and the switch to F2P was the existing episode revamp and all the work that had to be done to get ready for F2P. The Romulan FE almost didn't make it out the door by the announced date - they were still doing QA until the hour before Holodeck deployment and they did not want to repeat that kind of experience. As of November, they were still working on the Cardassian FE. This included having to redo DS9. (And of course the jemhadar stuff we saw during the winter). Zero also specifically mentions how Dstahl for all his openness tended to promise more than the team could deliver, explaining D'angelo's hesitation over releasing information until closer to delivery/deployability. It sounds like neither management/PR style can appease people - either features are announced and then cannot be delivered, leading to flames over delivery failure; or noone announces anything until the feature is delivered leading flames about lack of communication.
Lt. Commander
# 210
01-06-2012, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
Ok , who are you and what have you done with the real nynik and Grand.Nagus ?
You have upset The Balance by saying such negative things . That's the rest of the forum's job . The Deferi want their Balance back (and not just 3 times a week at odd hours) .
So to change the pace ...

Up until the news of 2-3 FE's a year , I was against player created content becoming "official" .
In a way I still am .
But I have a midway solution (sorta) :

Have Cryptic publish a script for a FE . Give said script to a selected group (or the general player base) and let them take a crack at making the mission in the Foundry .
At that point (say 2 months down the road) Cryptic can choose the mission they likes best , give it a "polish" (a few new assets) , and publish it .
This can be done as a contest for an existing ingame prize .

Just a thought ...

p.s. Thanks for the impromptu updates Mr. D'Angelo .
It's not the news we wanted to hear , but the candor is much appreciated !!
p.p.s Moar contents please !!! Yes , the story based kind , just like everybody said -- but I'd settle for moar STF's too !
That "just a thought"is a brilliant idea. Doing what you suggested and having more of the Foundry highlights they are planning so help even things out and give Foundry authors whom are apathetic something to do for a month or two.