Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 211
01-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbert View Post
In Zero's Priority One interview in November (where you had a question for her answered, btw) she talks about how long it actually takes to make FEs. It's at least 5 weeks on average. And this coming from someone who managed the Foundry. She talks about episode production at around 33:30. The majority of the work done through the PWE acquisition and the switch to F2P was the existing episode revamp and all the work that had to be done to get ready for F2P. The Romulan FE almost didn't make it out the door by the announced date - they were still doing QA until the hour before Holodeck deployment and they did not want to repeat that kind of experience. As of November, they were still working on the Cardassian FE. This included having to redo DS9. (And of course the jemhadar stuff we saw during the winter). Zero also specifically mentions how Dstahl for all his openness tended to promise more than the team could deliver, explaining D'angelo's hesitation over releasing information until closer to delivery/deployability. It sounds like neither management/PR style can appease people - either features are announced and then cannot be delivered, leading to flames over delivery failure; or noone announces anything until the feature is delivered leading flames about lack of communication.
I think my statement and the statement of others on these forums (some in this very thread) is that they try to build the FEs on too much non-repeatable content.

Improve ship interiors dramatically and you can easily crank out 30 missions for each one.

My inkling is that Chris from STOked would go a similar route if pressed: if FEs take that much in terms of resources, it's better to develop more content that's less demanding.

I'm not saying, "Do the impossible." I gather Dan's vision was a bit crazy. I think Stephen is left with the unenviable position of coming in after a madman's binge (still love ya, Dan) and reconcile promises with reality.

I'm saying: if you can maybe do twelve FE missions a year, come up with a means of doing more story, more missions that advance the plot, at the cost of every series being a big budget, tech revolutionizing affair that requires 25-30 new maps, revamped enemies, cinematics, and full voiceover.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 212
01-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
cinematics, and full voiceover.
My 1 and only request for the new FE; Please, please make all cinematics skippable.

They're groovy and all, but after the 18th run...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 213
01-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_collective View Post
PART 1



You mean like the Federation carrier class that WAS promised to us a year ago? Its already in the game (The Typhoon) and Cryptic did promise they would bring it to us.
Actually I hate to break it to you on this one. The Typhoon in STO and the 'Typhon' Class Carrier are two different ships. The Typhoon here in STO isn't a carrier but a cruiser variant that was speculated to come in game along with that massive Jupiter Class Beast (That would actually be PERFECT for a carrier imo).

The Typhon Class will never find itself here in STO because it's owned by the gaming company that developed Star Trek: Invasion and CBS would have to negotiate the rights to it.

People have been calling out for the Vesta Class Starship for some time but so far, everyone's been locked in the dark and it's safe to say; we're not going to see that one for sometime.

Not defending anyone here. Just adding clarification.

There was mention of the refitted Akira that floated out in a leak that it may be a 'light carrier' as designed by the ship's creator. It never happened and we got the Thunderchild with its PDS instead. A good ship but when you stop and think about it. Beam: Fire At Will can wipe out fighters and do significant damage to frigates almost as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 214
01-07-2012, 07:35 PM
I'd rather see feds go with Big Gun Dreadnaughts than carriers. Fixed up so they are a more terrifying force, but still would rather see feddie Dreadnaught/Battleships over the feds playing exactly the same as the Klinks and getting the same ships.

The Klinks would too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 215
01-08-2012, 12:12 PM
this is why many devs dont communicate this closely with their player base. And it serves them well. This is why devs should stick to developing and leave PR to the experts.

What sdangelo needs is a dose of PR injected in his blogs. Which should be screened by marketing and PR before being released. Because in one foul swoop he can eliminate or allienate half the player base, which is bad for business.

That post he made in this thread... is just fuel for the fire, and all PR knows that anything you say can and will be twisted, no matter you being HONEST and NICE, and forthcoming and realistic etc... people don't care about your intentions, they only want more fuel for their rage.

Here is how it might look if subjected to PR screening:

Quote:
At this time we are staffing up, and sorting through applications to find the best suitable. New staff are becoming acquainted with design systems and will soon be contributing at 100%. Our modest team remains dedicated, and committed.

We will be working to complete as many featured episodes as possible while producing other quality gameplay systems and enhancements.

The transition to F2P has interrupted our flow and therefore slowed our original output, but I am confident it will be back up to speed soon.

The Klingon faction work is definitely on 2012's list, details will be released in time as soon as they are finalized.

Rest assured PWE and Cryptic are extremely committed to improving this game as much as humanly possible over the coming year and I think by the first half of the year, everyone will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Please continue to give your awesome feedback on the new systems we introduce in order that we may enhance them to their best potential.
Its great that you want to be honest and realistic, but it isn't good for business in the end. People will say to me, so you think they should just lie? No, but they do not have to tell the whole truth either, you expect them to come out and say they wish they had as big a team or as much resources as bioware, but we don't and never will so this game will never live up to its potential? That would kill business, same as those honest posts from sdangelo are doing.

the fact remains, STO is developed by a very small independent game studio. Who actually runs two MMOS, and is developing a third. So one small independent game studio running three MMOS.......one can only imagine the size of the STO team. I bet its 10-12. Couple artists, 1-2 designer, 3 programmers?

It is unfortunate, but sto will never be grand, at least not in a short time span, after a couple years of development it might be near grand, but by then it will be obsolete.

I am here because I like the IP and the universe, if this wasn't an ST themed game I would not be here.

What is a bit confusing is why a company like cryptic is stretching themselves with three mediocre mmos, and not just focusing on the two they have, and why they don't invest big in it, to make it bigger. Maybe it is because they see that its an impossible task to make large improvements to this game with their current super hero engine, and are therefore just trying to get as much out of it as possible, before CBS refuses to renew their st license and forces cryptic to shut down the game. It really is unfair to ST as an IP, a huge large SCI FI IP, that really made SCI FI take off to the masses and influence SCI FI forever, to be treated in this small way, it deserves a huge team, resources and budget behind it and deserves a grand game. I think the STO team has a big heart, and they love what they do, but they just do not have enough resources.

The fact that space in this space game is in shoe boxes, and has less explorable places than games based on land mass is an indicator itself of the huge limitations of their engine.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 216
01-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Honestly at this point I would prefer an entire month of nothing but bug fixes. Drop all work on new systems and features and content and just fix all the dang bugs that have been in since launch. Fix what is already broken instead of introducing more stuff that will just break more things.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 217
01-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
*what*
You do realize that the "PR-screened" version you posted is arguably worse than either of sdeangelo's? People would latch on to those vague statements, assume they are either promises or mean more than they actually do, and when it turns out these don't meet people's expectations, you'll get accusations of lies, deceit, and unethical business.

People may not always like what honesty reveals, but it can at least be respected. There's no way I could respect vague assurances like yours. Or Stahl's, for that matter (Sorry man. We still cool?).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 218
01-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
I'm not sure where some people got the impression that the STO team was staffed up. We're trying to staff up, but the team is not any larger than it has been in the past... and is smaller in some critical areas. Staffing up will take time. I didn't talk about the second half of 2012, because we hope to do a lot more once we have more staff... but it depends on a lot on how successful we are at finding the right people to hire.

I'm sorry that the news that we can't produce more featured episodes is a surprise. I was not aware that anyone indicated that it might be possible to get a more continuous stream of them going. I was really happy that I might be able to get 3 series out in one year, and getting 3 serious out seemed like an "epic win" for the dev team to me... but I didn't know that anyone had expectations that more than 3 series in a year was possible. I don't really think it is possible unless the team grows significantly. So I'm sorry that I get to break the news to you all.

The Klingon faction work is definitely on 2012's list, but I can't promise any date or details at this time. Once I have a more confident dev schedule, I'll share what I know. I don't want to share anything until I have an actual dev schedule that makes it very likely to happen.

I'm also sorry about how little came to the game in the middle of 2011. I can't do anything to change the past, though. I inherited the game as it was in late September, and I'm doing my best to bring you as all much as I can as quickly as I can.

I'm also trying to set realistic expectations with you all about what the team can do and plans to deliver. The STO dev team is amazing, and while they can't do everything that this forum crowd apparently wants, I think that 2012 is going to be a great year for the game.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Yes, you know where people got this impression, and its almost comical, if it wasn't even more profoundly saddening, that your saying it is a deliberate deception.

Were all aware your not really trying to staff up, this is easily detectable by the fact that your not savvy (somehow), to comments made by Stahl (sorta recently), on the volume of content we could reasonably expect. This leads me to believe that your falsely quoting deliberately, (why?), or your teeny-weeny dev staff each work at home in "different countries", and have no social contact with one another, "ever".

Their arent any plans at all for the KDF faction, just say it, that ill believe. Just let warriors of the empire publish their own missions ingame. Their honor and courage will develop more content in a fraction of the time (while you "still" make money on the C-Store), than the proffesionals at Cryptic have done in the cumulative life of the game. Make it a sandbox, let the people who play the game make the content, you people arent doing it.

I no longer care what happened in 2011, this is no longer 2011. I care what happens tomorrow. So should you.

Your realistic expectations are looking more and more like a milkjob of the IP because Trekkies have nowhere else to go, i have no faith that Cryptic, or, PWE care whatsoever about the future of STO, or even the future of Cryptic Studios. Lets bleed the Trekkies dry and get as rich as possible on the IP before we dump it. With your hazy comment on the dev crew figure, im thinking with the grabbag resources alone youve probably all already upgraded transportation and wardrobes by now.

Have a nice day.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 219
01-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseshoer
Yes, you know where people got this impression, and its almost comical, if it wasn't even more profoundly saddening, that your saying it is a deliberate deception.

Were all aware your not really trying to staff up, this is easily detectable by the fact that your not savvy (somehow), to comments made by Stahl (sorta recently), on the volume of content we could reasonably expect. This leads me to believe that your falsely quoting deliberately, (why?), or your teeny-weeny dev staff each work at home in "different countries", and have no social contact with one another, "ever".

Their arent any plans at all for the KDF faction, just say it, that ill believe. Just let warriors of the empire publish their own missions ingame. Their honor and courage will develop more content in a fraction of the time (while you "still" make money on the C-Store), than the proffesionals at Cryptic have done in the cumulative life of the game. Make it a sandbox, let the people who play the game make the content, you people arent doing it.

I no longer care what happened in 2011, this is no longer 2011. I care what happens tomorrow. So should you.

Your realistic expectations are looking more and more like a milkjob of the IP because Trekkies have nowhere else to go, i have no faith that Cryptic, or, PWE care whatsoever about the future of STO, or even the future of Cryptic Studios. Lets bleed the Trekkies dry and get as rich as possible on the IP before we dump it. With your hazy comment on the dev crew figure, im thinking with the grabbag resources alone youve probably all already upgraded transportation and wardrobes by now.

Have a nice day.
So Dstahl is still promising us the moon (just about everything Dstahl talked about in 2011 that's not been reverified by D'Angelo should be thrown out the window as not realistically happening) even though the team clearly couldn't deliver and you're blaming D'Angelo for being conservative? Did you even understand the part where ZeroniusRex projects that it takes 5weeks to produce an FE arc and a total of 3months production time to get an FE set deployment-ready? Or the fact that to launch the 3 FEs in the timeframe they did they were still doing rebuilds of the Romulan missions up to the hour before deployment of that FE? Zero outright says "this was an experience we did not want to repeat". Even CapnLogan most recently has reiterated that when Dstahl was proclaiming the game's upcoming treasures, the team got flamed for being unable to deliver, and now you are flaming D'Angelo because he's trying to be a realist? There is no pleasing you at all here is there? Also please take a look at the crypticstudios and pwe jobs board before you spout off on whether or not they are trying to hire. According to Fark, even QA staff is down 1/3 of what they need for STO. Get Some facts first then come back</Calhoun>
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 220
01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Cowbert, may I ask if you have watched D'Angelo's interview in STOked 100?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:39 PM.