Lt. Commander
# 41
01-03-2012, 05:58 PM
I hope I am wrong, but I am going to vote that the new flagships are going to be C-Store only. I mean, why make the new flagships of the Federation, and the Klingon empire available in-game, when you can't even get the other VA ships in-game anymore? That wouldn't make sense. If they make that ship available in-game, then everybody will start flying that ship, and never buy the VA C-store ships. If the new FLAGSHIPS are going to be available in-game, then why play any other ship? ALL THE SHIPS SHOULD BE AVAILABLE IN-GAME, BUT CRYPTIC IS TO GREEDY.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-03-2012, 06:19 PM
The Odyssey class starship and the new Klingon Flagship will be available through game play using in game currencies (this is a promise). There may be variants of these ships in the C-Store at a later date, but you will definitely be able to get these ships in game. We'll reveal more about how they will be available later this month.

To set expectations on featured episode series, I think it's realistic for the development team to produce two or three series a year. I know we can fit in two series in 2012 and I'm trying to build a schedule to get a third one in, but it's not clear that it'll happen. As it is right now, you can expect the second series of the year to come out a little after the Season 6 launch, probably in July. (Note that once again this is a forward looking statement and not a promise, because pretty much anything could change by then.)

It's my belief that it takes a range of game play options to keep the game going. When it comes to my "something new" comment, I am thinking broadly. Consider how December went. We did the launch one week, Q's Wonderland event started the next week, the Duty Officer event the third week, and the nanopulse weapons in the fourth week. That's "something new every week" by my definition. And I think that the majority of players liked that there was something new (even if it was small) happening regularly.

It's unfortunately impractical to deliver story content all the time. In fact, story content will mostly be coming through the featured episodes (with somewhere between 9 and 13 episodes next year as per above). I'm working hard to get in more special events (like the Q's Winter Wonderland), more calendar events (like the Mirror Universe or Starfleet Academy), more content that is repeatable (like the STFs), and more fun little weekend events (like the recent Duty Officer weekend). We'll also sprinkle in things like the Duty Officer expansion and some new game features. There are a lot of ways to provide something new to you all.

And I'm totally okay with people being skeptical about delivery. Until the game builds a track record of delivery, feel free to be skeptical. We're working hard, though, to get things on track. I think December was a nice start, and that the next few months should prove out that we have the development team delivering. I'm sorry for the apparent stall in January, but the free-to-play conversion is a LOT of work and necessitated a brief slow down.

Happy new year everyone!

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
The Odyssey class starship and the new Klingon Flagship will be available through game play using in game currencies (this is a promise). There may be variants of these ships in the C-Store at a later date, but you will definitely be able to get these ships in game. We'll reveal more about how they will be available later this month.

To set expectations on featured episode series, I think it's realistic for the development team to produce two or three series a year. I know we can fit in two series in 2012 and I'm trying to build a schedule to get a third one in, but it's not clear that it'll happen. As it is right now, you can expect the second series of the year to come out a little after the Season 6 launch, probably in July. (Note that once again this is a forward looking statement and not a promise, because pretty much anything could change by then.)

It's my belief that it takes a range of game play options to keep the game going. When it comes to my "something new" comment, I am thinking broadly. Consider how December went. We did the launch one week, Q's Wonderland event started the next week, the Duty Officer event the third week, and the nanopulse weapons in the fourth week. That's "something new every week" by my definition. And I think that the majority of players liked that there was something new (even if it was small) happening regularly.

It's unfortunately impractical to deliver story content all the time. In fact, story content will mostly be coming through the featured episodes (with somewhere between 9 and 13 episodes next year as per above). I'm working hard to get in more special events (like the Q's Winter Wonderland), more calendar events (like the Mirror Universe or Starfleet Academy), more content that is repeatable (like the STFs), and more fun little weekend events (like the recent Duty Officer weekend). We'll also sprinkle in things like the Duty Officer expansion and some new game features. There are a lot of ways to provide something new to you all.

And I'm totally okay with people being skeptical about delivery. Until the game builds a track record of delivery, feel free to be skeptical. We're working hard, though, to get things on track. I think December was a nice start, and that the next few months should prove out that we have the development team delivering. I'm sorry for the apparent stall in January, but the free-to-play conversion is a LOT of work and necessitated a brief slow down.

Happy new year everyone!

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
TY, you answered all my questions except this one:

Since I see no mention of it, any news on the "loosening up" of the KDF so they can start a new character from the beginning as KDF without having to start at level 25?
I was kinda hoping that would be higher on the list of priorities of things to do before reworking existing things.
I think many would appreciate it.

I hope it was simply overlooked and not that the lack of answer...well, was the answer...
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Quote:
The Odyssey class starship and the new Klingon Flagship will be available through game play using in game currencies (this is a promise).
*reading between the lines mode ON*

available "Ingame Currencies":

1: Energy Credits (no way we will ever get anything usefull for EC ...if it isn't tradeable per exchange)
2: Gold Pressed Latinum (play DABO for Enterprise F?)
3: Dilithium ....which you can buy for C-Points per exchange.

...now which one of those 3 ingame currencies is most likely the one sdangelo is talking about here?

i stil say *i believe it when i see it*

which is good for Cryptic, because that means i will still be around to see it !
So please proof my Tinfoil Hat wrong.

I very much would like to be wrong on these things for once...
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Quote:

Happy new year everyone!

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Honestly, I think this is one of the most 'up front' posts you've made with regard to STO future plans and mission/story content. I reall DO want to thank you for taking the time top make it as I know (at least from other comments you've made); you've not comfortable projecting things too far iout in the future.)

So, thanks for coming in and doing a more upfront post. I REALLY do hope Cryptic can deliver and strt buikilding a decent track record as to "What's promised" and "What ends uop in game"; because unfortunately (even with the circumstances surrounding the Atari sale of Cryptic to PWE and the situation that caused fior Cryptic in 2011); in the end, ALL the players want is more(and interesting) things to do; period. They don't want just promised content and explainations of why some promised content was late or axed - whther it was for a good reason or bad circumstance - they just want to play and enjoy themselves.

With the events of the past year; it IS going to take some solid followthrough to reverse a lot of previous dissapointment a lot of us have had with STO over the past 10 months or so. I hope you guys CAN deliver.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I'll get this out of the way first; pull this grab bag stunt with the KDF Flagship and Odyssey and I'm basically done.

That said. I know better than to make the fairly ridiculous leap from giving away a low-odds faction-neutral ship nobody knew about, cared about, or asked for in any meaningful numbers, to offering hugely hyped faction-specific ships that have been highly sought after that has either been dangled in front of us for months or incessantly requested by the Most Bloodthirsty Players.

I fully anticipate another grabbag, but after the backlash on the forum over a lousy (and admittedly amusing) Bug, does anyone really think they'd risk the flames of releasing something like the Odyssey this way? If I were Cryptic, my next grabbag would be a Ferengi D'Kora marauder.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
WOW. I have to say that I am really surpirsed that only two Feature Episode series are planned for 2012. only 9 - 13 new story missions for 2012. That does not seem like a lot to me.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
I hate to say it, but onlt 2 or 3 series per year is pretty much an epic fail.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
*reading between the lines mode ON*

available "Ingame Currencies":

1: Energy Credits (no way we will ever get anything usefull for EC ...if it isn't tradeable per exchange)
3: Dilithium ....which you can buy for C-Points per exchange.

...now which one of those 3 ingame currencies is most likely the one sdangelo is talking about here?

i stil say *i believe it when i see it*

which is good for Cryptic, because that means i will still be around to see it !
So please proof my Tinfoil Hat wrong.
i have to agree with you. it will be buy the Enterprise-F for Dilithium and/or C-Points.
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
If you had been doing your Q's Event day on all of you 200+ toons, you might have enough Latinum for a single Enter-E by now!