Lt. Commander
# 51
01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
*reading between the lines mode ON*

available "Ingame Currencies":

1: Energy Credits (no way we will ever get anything usefull for EC ...if it isn't tradeable per exchange)
2: Gold Pressed Latinum (play DABO for Enterprise F?)
3: Dilithium ....which you can buy for C-Points per exchange.

...now which one of those 3 ingame currencies is most likely the one sdangelo is talking about here?

i stil say *i believe it when i see it*

which is good for Cryptic, because that means i will still be around to see it !
So please proof my Tinfoil Hat wrong.

Yeah I find the in game currencies to be almost as frightening a comment as I found fears of ships in a box seeing event and ships in the same paragraph. GPL? Dabo for a couple of months? EC? 200 million that many don't have? (Never been a reason to build up large amounts until recently). Dilitium? I could see that but the cap really means save every dill now or your going to take awhile.

So yeah this ingame currencies idea has me curious. Maybe EDC? Almost forgot that one.
Lt. Commander
# 52 Good things ahead =)
01-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Looking forward to it.....

Cheers.
Lt. Commander
# 53
01-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
To set expectations on featured episode series, I think it's realistic for the development team to produce two or three series a year. I know we can fit in two series in 2012 and I'm trying to build a schedule to get a third one in, but it's not clear that it'll happen. As it is right now, you can expect the second series of the year to come out a little after the Season 6 launch, probably in July.

It's unfortunately impractical to deliver story content all the time. In fact, story content will mostly be coming through the featured episodes (with somewhere between 9 and 13 episodes next year

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
The above was snipped for brevity

This is the most depressing news I have heard from STO in a while, but I appreciate at least your honesty.

I don't know what changes you need to make back there at GCHQ Cryptic to make this happen, but I am confident of one thing. Almost the whole community came out and applauded these missions, compared to so many other features. Run a POLL and ask the players what they think is the thing STO has done best. I suspect these handful of missions are going to top that pile. Other things to keep us busy are all good, but these had a quality that had a glimmer of hope that STO could genuinely beat the MMO markey in offering regular high quality content.

The biggest single criticism running through this game from day one, like any other MMO is 'give us more content'.
Lt. Commander
# 54
01-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Quote:
The Odyssey class starship and the new Klingon Flagship will be available through game play using in game currencies (this is a promise). There may be variants of these ships in the C-Store at a later date, but you will definitely be able to get these ships in game. We'll reveal more about how they will be available later this month.

To set expectations on featured episode series, I think it's realistic for the development team to produce two or three series a year. I know we can fit in two series in 2012 and I'm trying to build a schedule to get a third one in, but it's not clear that it'll happen. As it is right now, you can expect the second series of the year to come out a little after the Season 6 launch, probably in July. (Note that once again this is a forward looking statement and not a promise, because pretty much anything could change by then.)

It's my belief that it takes a range of game play options to keep the game going. When it comes to my "something new" comment, I am thinking broadly. Consider how December went. We did the launch one week, Q's Wonderland event started the next week, the Duty Officer event the third week, and the nanopulse weapons in the fourth week. That's "something new every week" by my definition. And I think that the majority of players liked that there was something new (even if it was small) happening regularly.

It's unfortunately impractical to deliver story content all the time. In fact, story content will mostly be coming through the featured episodes (with somewhere between 9 and 13 episodes next year as per above). I'm working hard to get in more special events (like the Q's Winter Wonderland), more calendar events (like the Mirror Universe or Starfleet Academy), more content that is repeatable (like the STFs), and more fun little weekend events (like the recent Duty Officer weekend). We'll also sprinkle in things like the Duty Officer expansion and some new game features. There are a lot of ways to provide something new to you all.

And I'm totally okay with people being skeptical about delivery. Until the game builds a track record of delivery, feel free to be skeptical. We're working hard, though, to get things on track. I think December was a nice start, and that the next few months should prove out that we have the development team delivering. I'm sorry for the apparent stall in January, but the free-to-play conversion is a LOT of work and necessitated a brief slow down.

Happy new year everyone!

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online

We could really use more details soon in terms of what ingame currency will be used. People do not stockpile these things so please don't just spring it on us that we will need 500 EDC or 200,000 Dill or 300 million EC you know stuff like that.

As for the content. 9 to 13 episodes a year? That other stuff would need to be fairly impressive if you want to keep a player base around. 9 to 13 episodes is just far to few hopefully you can get some additional resources to turn out more. We need missions good professional missions and no offense to foundry authors but between the method in which they are hooked up and the limitation of the tools they just don't cut it.
Lt. Commander
# 55
01-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by temprus View Post
If you had been doing your Q's Event day on all of you 200+ toons, you might have enough Latinum for a single Enter-E by now!
oh goodie i DID!
just didn't turn it in for GPL by now ;P
(7 chars btw. 200 may take another week or two)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain Brown
Maybe EDC? Almost forgot that one.
EDC is not a currency by definition but a "Crafting Material".

Just like the Winter Wonderland items.... or those 3 anomalies from the Defera Invasion Event.

If it clutters your inventory (which makes you want to buy Inventory Slots... i did btw. lots of dilithium to grind to make up for that C-Point hit -.- ) then by definition it is not a currency... even though it is.
Lt. Commander
# 56
01-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I hate to say it, but onlt 2 or 3 series per year is pretty much an epic fail.
Really sad thing is..
If they only do that many, it'll be better than they did the last year...
Lt. Commander
# 57
01-03-2012, 06:52 PM
2-3 series is fine with me for a year... 15 weeks of new episodes, assuming it's still 5 episodes a series... if more, even better.

I'd rather see development time go into new things, such as the things listed in the Dev Diary (Duty Officer expansion, Fleet improvements, PVP improvements, and Foundry improvements). If they can do all that next year, the lack of episodes will not be a big deal (especially if Foundry is improved sufficiently).
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Quote:
The Odyssey class starship and the new Klingon Flagship will be available through game play using in game currencies (this is a promise). There may be variants of these ships in the C-Store at a later date, but you will definitely be able to get these ships in game. We'll reveal more about how they will be available later this month.

To set expectations on featured episode series, I think it's realistic for the development team to produce two or three series a year. I know we can fit in two series in 2012 and I'm trying to build a schedule to get a third one in, but it's not clear that it'll happen. As it is right now, you can expect the second series of the year to come out a little after the Season 6 launch, probably in July. (Note that once again this is a forward looking statement and not a promise, because pretty much anything could change by then.)

It's my belief that it takes a range of game play options to keep the game going. When it comes to my "something new" comment, I am thinking broadly. Consider how December went. We did the launch one week, Q's Wonderland event started the next week, the Duty Officer event the third week, and the nanopulse weapons in the fourth week. That's "something new every week" by my definition. And I think that the majority of players liked that there was something new (even if it was small) happening regularly.

It's unfortunately impractical to deliver story content all the time. In fact, story content will mostly be coming through the featured episodes (with somewhere between 9 and 13 episodes next year as per above). I'm working hard to get in more special events (like the Q's Winter Wonderland), more calendar events (like the Mirror Universe or Starfleet Academy), more content that is repeatable (like the STFs), and more fun little weekend events (like the recent Duty Officer weekend). We'll also sprinkle in things like the Duty Officer expansion and some new game features. There are a lot of ways to provide something new to you all.

And I'm totally okay with people being skeptical about delivery. Until the game builds a track record of delivery, feel free to be skeptical. We're working hard, though, to get things on track. I think December was a nice start, and that the next few months should prove out that we have the development team delivering. I'm sorry for the apparent stall in January, but the free-to-play conversion is a LOT of work and necessitated a brief slow down.

Happy new year everyone!

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Is your funding such that an Expansion Pack is feasable? Have a chunk of the office work on one Huge update full of content and stuff while the rest of the office works on periodic updates? Or is your funding and staffing just not up to that?
Lt. Commander
# 59
01-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Is your funding such that an Expansion Pack is feasable? Have a chunk of the office work on one Huge update full of content and stuff while the rest of the office works on periodic updates? Or is your funding and staffing just not up to that?
Lets stay away from paid expansions, huh?
Lt. Commander
# 60
01-03-2012, 07:05 PM
I'll admit the news of only 2 (maybe 3) feature episode series for 2012 is disappointing / baffling. I thought the whole point of the increased staffing was to have people build the new Featured Series while the former was being played. With that in mind, I don't see how they could even consider getting away with less than 4 series per year.

Star Trek Online is seeing stiff competition showing up. STO's main lure is its featured episode and the foundry UGC content. If this doesn't see a severely ramped up focus, it's not my sense that things are likely to go all that well. After all, with 4 years of development up its belt, STO finally has what most starting MMOs have in development time - there's not as much leeway as there was previously, and the supply of good excuses for underperforming next to the competition now in slim quantities.

Mister D'Angelo, I see why you want to spruce up the themepark aspect of STO... but compared to what we had, there has already been a significant improvement. What excitement STO generates in me, making me think that it can be a fun game, is how it can help me live new adventures in the Star Trek universe... and nothing does that better than the Featured Episode series. The kind of eagerness and excitement those spark is very much the same as those saturday cartoons many of us - as kids - loved to rush to and watch.

Your something new may be nice, but it won't be as exciting. I want Star Trek Online to feel exciting. Don't you?