Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System and R&D
Login

Lt. Commander
Now that the DOff system has been out for a bit, I've compiled some feedback on the system. Overall, I'm loving it. I'm playing STO more now than I ever have. It's tons of fun and I'm excited about seeing it expanded. That said, there are still a few bugs and areas that I believe could be improved.
  1. It's too easy to get cross-faction and non-Federation (or non-KDF) DOffs. My roster is starting to look like a zoo with all the Breen, Vorta, Romulan, Reman, Jem'Hadar, Hirogen, Exocomp, and Android officers I have, not to mention the plethora of Klingon, Gorn, Orion, Nausicaan, and Lethean officers I have available to my Federation captain. I could fill my roster with non-Federation species.
  2. Getting duplicates of the same purple Support Efforts DOff is kind of silly. While having five identical purple DOffs with the same name, traits, and quote is entertaining (and canon in the case of Vorta!), it makes them less special.
  3. Federation captains can buy KDF colonists on the exchange and send them on their Federation colonial missions. Even worse, KDF captains cannot do the same with Federation colonists. I hope this is a bug.
  4. It's currently possible to switch to your bridge in any zone and get a different list of assignments. This is most often used in exploration zones for a "second shot" so to speak at the colonial chain assignments. On top of that, many people will have different assignments on their individual bridges. This leads to bridge party scenarios, where whole groups of people go into an exploration zone, all go to their bridges and see which one of them gets the Support Efforts assignment, then all transfer to that person's bridge and pick it up. While this adds an interesting social dynamic to the colonial chain, I suspect it's a bug, since it circumvents the randomness and rarity mechanics of the system.
  5. The KDF D'kel Renown DOff, Kevan Coyotl, has a human name, a human portrait, and has his species listed as Klingon. Which is he?
  6. KDF captains can't enter B'Tran to do the colonial chain there.
  7. Rulian Mazan isn't bound, so there are many copies of her being sold on the Exchange.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the DOff system and I hope to see it live long and prosper.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-03-2012, 03:37 PM
#1 is due to Marauding and Diplomacy offering duty officers of the opposite faction from T1 on up, rather than just T4. This isn't something we can retroactively fix, obviously, but we are looking at options.

#2 is a reason I am looking at reducing the frequency of Very Rare assignments; the rarity of these alone should be making this a non-issue, but apparently this hasn't been as effective a hedge as I had originally planned.

#3 is a bug I hadn't been aware of until now. #5 and #6 ditto. #7 is by design. The bugged issues we'll be triaging and fixing.

Bridge Parties is not intended, and I thought wasn't feasible; I have sent inquiries to software about this, however.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-03-2012, 03:44 PM
I just jumped into my bridge in the khazon cluster and it was switching assignments every 3 seconds like it did not know what zone it was meant to be in.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-03-2012, 03:59 PM
When we tested #3.. interestingly, we could use Klink colonists mailed to a Fed toon for Fed missions, but they did NOT show up if those missions were in Klink 'space'.. anywhere else was ok.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-03-2012, 06:51 PM
-2 :if you dont want more then one special doff then dont do the mission more then once.

-4 :Some parts of the chain only seem to appear on the bridge,and with all the glitches going on with the assignments list on the bridge its actually pretty hard to even get the one you need.
I sometimes had to come back 5 or 6 times whilst waiting on the list to rotate ,to actually get the assignment where another of my characters could just pick it up in space.
The actual ''parties'' on the bridges were caused by a broken system in the first place,and its a nice solution at this time for players to get their assignments activated.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-03-2012, 11:46 PM
ya on 2 once you get the doff DONT DO IT
it be better if once you get the doff you CANT do it

if they make the missons more rare do to you cheating
i truly hope you get baned from the game

i find it funny that some one that cheats is crying he did not get more from it
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-04-2012, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklinaar
[...]
  • Getting duplicates of the same purple Support Efforts DOff is kind of silly. While having five identical purple DOffs with the same name, traits, and quote is entertaining (and canon in the case of Vorta!), it makes them less special.
[...]
Complaining about that 'after' filling your roster with enough shiny purples leaves a kind of hypocritical taste on my tongue.

Also keep in mind that there are a lot people around who cannot spend as much time in the game to fill their roster with multiples of those purples soon.

My main concern with the very rare assignments is not their overall availability but that they seem to turn up in clusters. You can get a few cycles with really 'bad' assignments and suddenly you get one cycle where in each sector a really good very rare dangles.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedom View Post
Complaining about that 'after' filling your roster with enough shiny purples leaves a kind of hypocritical taste on my tongue.

Also keep in mind that there are a lot people around who cannot spend as much time in the game to fill their roster with multiples of those purples soon.

My main concern with the very rare assignments is not their overall availability but that they seem to turn up in clusters. You can get a few cycles with really 'bad' assignments and suddenly you get one cycle where in each sector a really good very rare dangles.
not only that but the rate you get the doff is at best 1 in 5

to the OP i hope you get the worst drops ever for the rest of your play time as do to your selfishness and scameing the system the rest of us get nerfed soon
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-09-2012, 03:31 PM
I would gladly give up my duplicate purples if they were made unique. I'm not interested in cheating the system. I'm interested in making it better. I think making the purples from Support unique so that you could only have one would make the system better. But right now, since everyone can get duplicate purples, so of course I'm going to do so, and I encourage you to do the same, and I'll even give you advice on how to get them if you want.

Try considering my statements a little more carefully next time before leaping to conclusions and insulting me. Heck, if you aren't clear on my motivations, ASK me. I'll happily clarify them.

I have more suggestion for the DOff system. Most recruitment assignments, like junior officer cadres and cultural exchanges, reward extra DOffs on a critical success, but with no guarantee of higher quality. Most of the time, this means getting three white DOffs instead of one white DOff. Since it's already really easy to hit the roster cap, I think a critical success would be more useful if it only awarded one DOff, but guaranteed a green quality, and then with a decent chance for a blue and a small chance for a purple.
Lt. Commander
# 10 Maintenance Eng Doff's broke
01-10-2012, 03:40 PM
They don't work! They say they reduce cooldown for Eng Team and Aux->SIF. No change in cool down when assigned to space tasks. Both factions. (Not 100% it is maint. eng. might be a different eng flavor, but 98.75% it is Maintenance Eng) If it was decided that this DOFF was OP, then CHANGE THE DESCRIPTION!