Lt. Commander
# 1 Star Trek Deck-Building Game
01-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Is anyone else playing this? The expansion comes out this week, and its been taking up a lot of my non-STO time since it came out this past fall. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't yet.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Domino View Post
Is anyone else playing this? The expansion comes out this week, and its been taking up a lot of my non-STO time since it came out this past fall. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't yet.
Link please because i have absolutly no idea what your talking about
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Is it like the Decipher Customizable Card Game?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2012, 04:27 AM
I've got the Next Gen box set that came out. Haven't played it yet but as soon as I can get one of the guys to test it out and get used to the rules we should have a round or two going.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvenwing View Post
Link please because i have absolutly no idea what your talking about
http://www.bandaicg.com/startrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Is it like the Decipher Customizable Card Game?
Not really. I mean, it could be called similar in that they're both games that use cards featuring characters and concepts from Trek, but that's about where the similarities end. The STDBG is non-collectible, meaning once you buy the base game, you never have to worry about booster packs, rarities, or "catching them all". They'll release expansions from time to time, like the one that comes out tomorrow, but those will also be all-in-one affairs. In addition, the gameplay between the two is very dissimilar. While I loved the Decipher game, and that one perhaps came closer to the essence of Trek, with its purely mission-based gameplay - as a pure game, this new one easily edges it out in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicardX
I've got the Next Gen box set that came out. Haven't played it yet but as soon as I can get one of the guys to test it out and get used to the rules we should have a round or two going.
Highly recommended. The rules are really pretty simple to get into, but there's tons of layers and strategy to the game.

I don't really know why, but the game just hasn't been getting much attention, either from the Trek community or the hobby-gaming community. It doesn't really have any bad reviews, and everyone I've played it with has loved it - it just doesn't have the marketing power behind it, I guess.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Picked up the expansion the other day.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-15-2012, 07:27 PM
I've only had the chance to play one game with the expansion, and we decided to mix both sets together. Despite the extremely large deck size, it worked pretty well. I managed to pick up Ben Maxwell on turn 1, then use his ability modifiers to diplomacy into the 25 point Ferengi Shuttlepod on turn 3, which trashed Maxwell; then, later in the game, I had picked up Rachel Garret, then used her card ability to Diplomacy into the 75-point Klingon Battlecruiser, which also trashed Garret. I was all about the sacrificial captains, I guess.