Lt. Commander
Not sure how hard it would be to implement, but it would be neat if the Earth in the Sol system map matched the rotation of our Earth IRL.

In other words, if I played in the middle of the day where I live, the same spot in the in game Earth would be facing the sun directly. If I played at night, the same spot would now be in the dark.

Earth is the only planet that would be noticeable, but I think it would be a nice feature and allow for screenshots of various Earth Orbits with different lighting.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-04-2012, 04:47 PM
It also would be nice if we can have dynamic day and night cycles for ESD and Starfleet Academy, with the Academy set to PST (GMT - 8) so we can show off the effects of lighting on the various Uniforms and Accessories a character can have...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
It also would be nice if we can have dynamic day and night cycles for ESD and Starfleet Academy, with the Academy set to PST (GMT - 8) so we can show off the effects of lighting on the various Uniforms and Accessories a character can have...
that actually makes sense, set it to San francisco time
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-04-2012, 06:24 PM
About that, notice how all of North America is on the night side on the Sol Map. Then how is it sunny at SFA? :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-04-2012, 07:32 PM
This will be grand to see...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-04-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm, not entirely sure the game's engine supports planet rotation(no idea why not, it's a simple task). I don't think any of the planets rotate, at all. But, I also haven't visited them all either.

Would be a simple thing to implement really. Though syncing earth's ingame rotational position to real life might be a pain and a half. This I can say from experience, that second part is not nearly as easy as it sounds. A few badly timed server hickups and the rotational timer is thrown off. Pull the server offline for maintenance and you have to completely resync the entire rotation. And that's just using a simple rotation script. Think of the pain and trouble of adding in another script that scans the current time and syncs the planet's rotational position automatically, and not have it screw with the rest of the game.

On the matter of Starfleet Academy however, this is a completely different method. But still just as hard, see syncing problem above. Sure, you can do timer events, and keep it simple with only four day light levels. Sunrise, transition to mid day, transition to sunset, transition to midnight, repeat. But that would be four script triggers going off every day. And you don't even want to know how many would be needed if you want realistic day night positioning. Could just make one giant sky map globe and rotate it, but then someone would just complain that it's not realistic enough, and you would have the syncing problems mentioned above for the planet. Not to mention changing light source location.

But, all of the above said, I'm actually for this idea if it becomes, or already is feasible to implement without completely screwing up the game, or making it completely impossible for people like me on way underpowered computers to ever log in again.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-04-2012, 09:08 PM
A nighttime Starfleet Academy would be awesome. No need to make the earth rotate any certain way, just have it set to PST, or have an option to choose from Starfleet in Day or Night. That said, as it is, I love the Starfleet Academy set. Sometime I just beam down to stand by the rails along the bay and watch the shuttles fly overhead. Whomever did the work on that map, it's terrific!