Lt. Commander
# 1 BOff Training Fix
01-04-2012, 09:35 PM
I know this has been brought up in the past, but since nothing has come of it I figure it's past due for it to be revisited here with hopes that PWE_BranFlakes will pass this along to the Powers That Be.

A simple request: I'd like the ability to train the BOffs of others without actually trading the BOffs.

This would be beneficial for a couple of reasons:

First, there are several BOffs that are Bound, and cannot be traded for training. This actually includes a Pre-order/C-Store BOff (the Borg Engineer), the referral reward (the Photonic Science Officer) and the veteran reward (the Android Engineer) among others... so essentially there are a number of options that some people have essentially put real money towards getting in one form or another. Generally speaking that means that people can't take full advantage of what they've paid for unless they're of the same career and have the associated skills available to train themselves. This doesn't exactly seem acceptable.

Second, there's an element of piece of mind involved. You aren't always going to have a trusted friend online who's capable of training what you need. If you're dealing with a valuable BOff, like a very rare one with desirable traits (like, say, Efficiency), it's a dicey proposition to trade it to a perfect stranger in hopes of getting it trained, as they can always just walk off with it. I mean, you could ask for collateral, but good luck finding someone who has an Efficient BOff worth of unbound items that can be used like that. And, hey, I'm sure your GMs have seen tickets about stolen BOffs, there's actually been a few forum threads, so why not give them a break and prevent the issue from ever occurring? Seriously, training BOffs between strangers has all of the atmosphere of a seedy drug deal between two shifty characters... and I don't think that's something you want existing in the game.

What we need is a means to offer training without a BOff ever leaving the crew of the BOff's owner. It would solve a couple of problems that have existed since launch.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks for bringing this up again! Perhaps something will actually happen this time...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Perhaps have an option to let your other Toons train your BOffs. It will keep with the spirit of having only officers with certain Skills teach certain Abilities while removing the fear that someone may steal BOff.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeslyn
Perhaps have an option to let your other Toons train your BOffs. It will keep with the spirit of having only officers with certain Skills teach certain Abilities while removing the fear that someone may steal BOff.
The solution I most liked from previous discussions was to create training datapads to store the skill that was being trained. You could then mail the datapad or list it on the exchange if you wanted (exchange listing is probably pointless though).
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Or a 'training slot' in the Trade Window like WoW (yes I said it) has a slot for enchantments.

*Anything* would be better than the method we have now, honestly.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-05-2012, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk_Mike
The solution I most liked from previous discussions was to create training datapads to store the skill that was being trained. You could then mail the datapad or list it on the exchange if you wanted (exchange listing is probably pointless though).
I like that idea a lot also. It's fully-aligned with the structure of the game already. Perhaps make it some type of crafting ability (craft a datapad with a skill on it.)
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-05-2012, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Or a 'training slot' in the Trade Window like WoW (yes I said it) has a slot for enchantments.

*Anything* would be better than the method we have now, honestly.
Even better, allow us to load the training onto a PADD, then be able to sell that on the AH. Streamlines the whole thing.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-05-2012, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hravik
Even better, allow us to load the training onto a PADD, then be able to sell that on the AH. Streamlines the whole thing.
I really like this idea.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Very much like Original D&D. A spellcaster could write/enchant a scroll containing a spell. Said scroll could be used by another character (that was actually capable, within class and level limits, of casting the spell on the scroll) to either cast the spell once, or else to *transcribe* the enscrolled spell into the chracter's spellbook -- thereby making it part of that character's ongoing go-to spell list.

I like the idea. Devs, please look in to that, won't you?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Quote:
That's an interesting idea. Considering BOffs can currently be consumed similarly before they join your roster in an active capacity, I imagine it would possible to do. Seems like it would be much like generating a limited, disposable quasi-BOff.

I think it might make a lot of people happy, and you could even train your alts then, making having more character slots seem advantageous (perhaps driving up demand for them in the CStore... thus perhaps making this a potentially lucrative idea for Cryptic).