Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway
Login

Lt. Commander
I think management and "play" of duty officers should also be playable on an iPhone or Android device. It would allow us to "play" the game, and most importantly stay connected to the game and the immersion, while we are commuting, traveling, and most importantly "out of the house". I don't want to play a different game on my handheld device, I want to manage the duty officers on my starship!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2012, 06:06 AM
Idea has been suggested before, and it does indeed seem like a good idea...

But They are neither willing to make a STO port for Mac or Linuz, so it's doubtful they would create a whole new app just for mobile devices.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-09-2012, 07:00 PM
That sounds awesome actually. Any web interface would do.

Just dont use any BS like ajax and it'll work fine on android/ios
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Nice idea though it was recently confirmed, on Prority one iirc, that they would need a new licence from CBS...
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2012, 03:05 AM
I fully agree. This would be a nice to have App. Though I'm software developer myself and the major problem in creating an App isn't creating the App itself. It's making the Server sided API that is accessed by your mobile device SECURE!
When you connect to the server and play the game you're controlling gamefunctions from a third party infrastructure with a first party client which is perfectly fine.
Having that kind of API would also open the gates for botting and third party access to gamefeatures. Before that happens I would prefer to let that chance to splice another tribble pass in favour of more security and less botting.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstrype View Post
I fully agree. This would be a nice to have App. Though I'm software developer myself and the major problem in creating an App isn't creating the App itself. It's making the Server sided API that is accessed by your mobile device SECURE!
When you connect to the server and play the game you're controlling gamefunctions from a third party infrastructure with a first party client which is perfectly fine.
Having that kind of API would also open the gates for botting and third party access to gamefeatures. Before that happens I would prefer to let that chance to splice another tribble pass in favour of more security and less botting.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=251420

I know of a way to do it quite easily, and security wouldnt be an issue.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2012, 06:39 AM
+1

Mobile app(s) for DO missions would be great and shouldn't be that difficult to develop.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2012, 08:02 AM
x1,000,000...

Features I would like in an iPhone app please...

Player profiles (ala WoW armory)
Fleet chat
Exchange
C-store
Dilithium Exchange
Mail
Doff assignments (the whole Doff window in an applet)
A Star Trek Canon trivia quiz game I could play instead of Word Warp when I'm taking my morning, er, relief.

Their reluctance to port a game to a different platform should have no bearing on assigning someone to take a month or so to create an iPhone app. The iPhone app would certainly be more economically viable. WoW charged a tiny subscription ($3/m) for access to theirs, STO could do the same.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMalkin View Post
+1

Mobile app(s) for DO missions would be great and shouldn't be that difficult to develop.
I offered to do it myself.
I'd need some access on the server side, basically a glorified telnet server

Quote:
Player profiles (ala WoW armory)
Fleet chat
Exchange
C-store
Dilithium Exchange
Mail
A Star Trek Canon trivia quiz game I could play instead of Word Warp when I'm taking my morning, er, relief.
I wouldn't be willing to do any of those though, as they wouldn't be useful.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techni
I offered to do it myself.
I'd need some access on the server side, basically a glorified telnet server

I wouldn't be willing to do any of those though, as they wouldn't be useful.
Mmmm, Blizzard must have been crazy for including those features in their app, what a waste of time.

Still, don't get me wrong, I'd be happy with just Doff assignments and the Exchange.