Lt. Commander
# 1 Ruddy Orions
01-05-2012, 02:42 AM
I was reading up on Orions, since one of my characters is Orion, and came across the Memory Beta Star Trek Wiki page on Orions. It has the best and most detailed information on the Orion race that I have seen so far. On this page it described 2 races of Orions other than the green common variety, a gray skinned science race and a orangish skinned nobility variety called Ruddy Orions. Can we have the color palette adjsuted on the character creator to include these races? Also note the Ruddy Orion males are depicted as having hair so can we have the adjustments include the option for hair too? Also note the clothes the Ruddy Orions are wearing, would make nice additions to limited cotume choices on the KDF side, hint, hint. It would be nice to have some more options on a very neglected faction.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Orion
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2012, 08:45 AM
It's fairly unlikely Cryptic could use this information.
If you read the sources for this further down, you'll see it's from the old 1980's FASA RPG which is not considered a canon source. Not to mention using it would require licensing it from whoever now holds FASA's old licenses.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Ruddy_Orion

That's one of the big broblems of Mem Beta: they've got hughe pilwes of contradictory material from all kinds of sources and are trying to somehow get all of it into one single article even though it's nealy impossible to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-05-2012, 09:17 AM
to be fair, we have lots of skin colors on Earth, why should every Orion be green?

Adding a few color and Hair options for RPers surely won't be considdered a violation of any one others IP.

We sure as hell have no license to use fake Lightsabers...

Also CBS at one point requested from Cryptic to do more things that build up on old Episodes.
Expanding the limited information we have on Orions, especially since we can play with them, surely would be cool.

And i don't mean adding more pew pew ships, but adding Storybackground to the actual Species, background that is signed off by CBS.

...personally i would not change my Orions color to orange... because i think it would look stupid.

Also consider: Orions are Slavers, maybe the Green ones are just the guys that prevailed in the evolution of the Planet and the other ones are very rare by now?

Maybe the Orange ones were the rich leaders once until some Genocide Event on the Planet, when the green ones took over.

We had a lot of similar bad things happen on Earth, World War 3 for example...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Orange might be a stretch, but they could definitely do blue or gray (since blue is canon, and gray just makes sense).

As to FASA not being canon, that never stops Cryptic. The Luna class technically isn't canon since it never appeared on screen, but Cryptic used it anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-05-2012, 09:30 AM
It would depend on how sensitive CBS will consider the matter however some aspects like the clothing would probably be more problematic than perhaps some additional skin tones.
However in case of that when we look at our own variations of skin tones it depends on the amount of melanin in our skin.
Melanin is brownish black and as a result most skin colours are basically some variation of brown, sometimes darker, sometimes lighter while the somewhat "pinkish" component comes from the layers under the one carrying the melanin (unless I got that somehow wrong) .
So people with little to no melanin in their skin don't appear totally white as a result.

But that would mean, unless Orion physiology is totally different, that their skin would be a variation of green like ours are variations of brown.
Orange is only "related" to green via the primary colour of yellow so the only way I think this would work would be that the basic skin colour of Orions is actually yellow with variations going into "blue" and "red" via green and orange respectively. Which would only work if the skin under the layers carrying the Orion equivalent of Melanin were of a different colour than our "pink"...right?
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Orange might be a stretch, but they could definitely do blue or gray (since blue is canon, and gray just makes sense).

As to FASA not being canon, that never stops Cryptic. The Luna class technically isn't canon since it never appeared on screen, but Cryptic used it anyway.
They could however only use it since they struck a deal with Pocket Books.
We know licensing issues stopped the Kziniti and the Vesta and all refences to other computer games.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-05-2012, 09:51 AM
If FASA, as a compnay with a liscence to the IP, can make or create its own canon materila to fill in the gaps left by the shows and movies - WHy Can't Cryptic have the same level of self-creation?

I have never understood this issue. Create some good for STO only canon material, push for CBS aproval and grow the game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
If FASA, as a compnay with a liscence to the IP, can make or create its own canon materila to fill in the gaps left by the shows and movies - WHy Can't Cryptic have the same level of self-creation?

I have never understood this issue. Create some good for STO only canon material, push for CBS aproval and grow the game.
I couldnt agree more. The "Ruddy Orions" may be unusable....but that didnt stop them from creating Ferasians did it? I would totally give loads to re trait or re-species my Green Orion into one described as a Ruddy. Id even give up my Seduce Ability. just food for thought Cryptic
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-05-2012, 10:52 AM
They didn't really create them
"Ferasa" is the name of the Caitian home world in the Caitian language.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
They didn't really create them
"Ferasa" is the name of the Caitian home world in the Caitian language.
yeah i totally get that, but they couldnt get rights to Kzinti...so instead we get a subspecies of Caitian that is to be very ferocious. They pretty much came up with the Feraisan doffs to give the Klinks the Kzinti in a round about way.
Closed Thread