Lt. Commander
# 21
01-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
to be fair, we have lots of skin colors on Earth, why should every Orion be green?

Adding a few color and Hair options for RPers surely won't be considdered a violation of any one others IP.

We sure as hell have no license to use fake Lightsabers...

Also CBS at one point requested from Cryptic to do more things that build up on old Episodes.
Expanding the limited information we have on Orions, especially since we can play with them, surely would be cool.

And i don't mean adding more pew pew ships, but adding Storybackground to the actual Species, background that is signed off by CBS.

...personally i would not change my Orions color to orange... because i think it would look stupid.

Also consider: Orions are Slavers, maybe the Green ones are just the guys that prevailed in the evolution of the Planet and the other ones are very rare by now?

Maybe the Orange ones were the rich leaders once until some Genocide Event on the Planet, when the green ones took over.

We had a lot of similar bad things happen on Earth, World War 3 for example...
I'm not sure if the skin color depicted in the picture on Mem Beta is orangish, it maybe a copper skin tone. Take a look at the picture and see what color you think it is.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-11-2012, 08:40 AM
MagnumStar, they keep the facade of "females being slaves to males" because it allows them far easier infiltration into other species. Humans, Ferengi, Klingons, etf.

They don't see the real threat of the Orion 'slave' girl. Hence the head of the syndicate gifting all those slave girls to the Empire upon joining really means she was just spreading her circle of spies and informants larger.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildblade85 View Post
MagnumStar, they keep the facade of "females being slaves to males" because it allows them far easier infiltration into other species. Humans, Ferengi, Klingons, etf.

They don't see the real threat of the Orion 'slave' girl. Hence the head of the syndicate gifting all those slave girls to the Empire upon joining really means she was just spreading her circle of spies and informants larger.
I understand the purpose behind the whole let's pretend being slaves ploy but it is an unnecessary conspiracy. For one if you look good and have phermones that can seduce most males then there's no need to pretend to be a slave. All you have to do is present yourself to whomever you wish to seduce then use you wiles, charm, looks, and phermones to seduce them to where they are putty in your hands. A lot of good looking females in real life without phermones seem to accomplish this easily enough. Also rather than distribute them as slaves it would be easier to spread the Orion ladies throughout the galaxy as consorts since the Federation and other governments frown upon enslaving other beings. Also most males are not going to see a good looking female as a threat anyway. They are going to be too busy drooling over her to consider her a threat, especially one who has heightened her sexuality with phermones.

I have no problem with the women being in charge (Any married man in our modern society learns quickly we are in charge of very little so it's a concept we can relate to) or the slavery bit but I would prefer a more plausible explaination for it.

My own personal theory on this is long before Orions had space travel they had a tradition of raiding and trading with each other much like the Vikings in our own history. Since it was mainly the men who did the raiding and trading the women were left behind to run things till the men got back. But overtime the women, because they were used to running things, took charge and became the rulers of their communities. The men accepted this because it freed them from the responsibilty of leadership and allowed them to do what they liked best, raiding, trading, and warfare. From these raids or through trading slaves were aquired, the slaves did all the manual labor tilling the fields, construction, etc. So the men through raiding and trading supplied the wealth and slaves to support their communities while the women seen to the distribution of the assets, made the laws, set taxes, governed the populace, etc. (Sound familiar to any of you married guys.) Women were also the purveyors of art, literature, education, science, and architecture. When the men were absent the women were the main armed forces defending their communites from raiders from other regions. With the men always traveling sexaul attractant phermones were developed in both the male and female to insure procreation, althought the females use their phermones more effectively.

When the Orions discovered space travel they merely took these traditions out into space. In modern times the Orion women have taken up raiding and trading. It is common now to see the women commanding starships or serving aboard them.

Another tradition among the Orion women is one woman may challenge another female for the right to lead, rights to a male, or because of a disagreement. These duels can be fought till one gives up, to the death, or the loser is sold into slavery.

Anyway that is my take on the whole phermone, slavery, women in charge thing. Now if i can only fit the Ruddy Orions into the picture.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
It's fairly unlikely Cryptic could use this information.
If you read the sources for this further down, you'll see it's from the old 1980's FASA RPG which is not considered a canon source. Not to mention using it would require licensing it from whoever now holds FASA's old licenses.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Ruddy_Orion

That's one of the big broblems of Mem Beta: they've got hughe pilwes of contradictory material from all kinds of sources and are trying to somehow get all of it into one single article even though it's nealy impossible to do so.
I stumbled across this and found it interesting, pay close attention to the bottom. It would appear STO has already borrowed from FASA.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Hassan_the_Undying
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumStar
I stumbled across this and found it interesting, pay close attention to the bottom. It would appear STO has already borrowed from FASA.

Then they should very much add more of the backsotry elements to the game. I would love to see some missions exploring the syndicate in more depth,
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-28-2012, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumStar

Question is whether it's enough to imply it's okay to to use FASA stuff.
It would certainly be great if it were (I still love some of that material a lot) but it may be the same unintentional borrowing of concepts we're currently seeing with the similarities between the Klingon flagship and the Starcraft battlecruiser.
And that seems to have been very unintentional since the Cap'n has said he never played Starcraft.
Lt. Commander
# 27
04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
I was reading up on Orions, since one of my characters is Orion, and came across the Memory Beta Star Trek Wiki page on Orions. It has the best and most detailed information on the Orion race that I have seen so far. On this page it described 2 races of Orions other than the green common variety, a gray skinned science race and a orangish skinned nobility variety called Ruddy Orions. Can we have the color palette adjsuted on the character creator to include these races? Also note the Ruddy Orion males are depicted as having hair so can we have the adjustments include the option for hair too? Also note the clothes the Ruddy Orions are wearing, would make nice additions to limited cotume choices on the KDF side, hint, hint. It would be nice to have some more options on a very neglected faction.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Orion
Great information on the Orions would like to see some more color for them
and some hair for the male toons

Join date July 08
Empire Veteran
# 28
04-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Holy necro.
toDuj 'oS rol.
Commander
# 29
04-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Ruddy Orions could have Orange skin because of diet, like Pink Flamingos.

Still not big on Orange Orions.

The Orions have like three major defining traits, being Green, Orion Syndicate, and S&M.

Yes I said S&M and not just seductive. The Risans, Edo, and the Deltans are seductive in a more traditional way.

The Orions are Seductive in an S&M way, Slave Girls/Animal women, males with pierces everywhere, sci fi bondage gear, submissives who are really in charge, and so on.
Empire Veteran
# 30
04-04-2013, 04:10 PM
To be honest they need to get rid of the cream palette and only have green as Orions are green not cream/skin colour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Closed Thread