Lt. Commander
# 11 Tor > Sto
01-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Once STO goes FPS it'll be a perminant truth.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
I think both games signify the degeneration of mmo gaming.
ding ding. Truth lane one.
Lets hope STO proves it a falshood.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-05-2012, 09:32 AM
Considering that EAware's been ruthlessly swinging it's ban-hammer since EAware started, I've kept my distance, so I can't make a proper judgement. They need their ban-hammer privileges revoked.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperLimited View Post
Considering that EAware's been ruthlessly swinging it's ban-hammer since EAware started, I've kept my distance, so I can't make a proper judgement. They need their ban-hammer privileges revoked.
In truth the next great mmo will simply be a chat system, a gm ban system, and a player reporting system. That being the majority of mmo activity these days why bother with the fluff?
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Well I got a refund on my copy of Star Wars and bought STO, so that should tell you how I feel about it
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
In truth the next great mmo will simply be a chat system, a gm ban system, and a player reporting system. That being the majority of mmo activity these days why bother with the fluff?
They already did this. There were dozens of them around back in the 90's, in fact, but one of them is still running. The fact that the longest continuously running graphical MMO on the internet (predating Ultima Online and not going offline like Meridian 59) is a glorified chatroom for furries is probably the best argument in the world for outlawing the genre entirely.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
I'd be more impressed with TOR's storytelling and SWG's space combat
THIS! SWG earned every bit of ridicule thrown its way, but the Jump-to-Lightspeed expansion was amazing. MMO TIE-Fighter and Privateer bundled into an RPG.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Well it's funny, I got into a SWTOR beta weekend immediately after I started the STO trial late last year. I played a couple more beta events and came to the conclusion that it really wasn't for me. At the same time, I continued playing my STO trial and eventually bought the STO CE to get in some play time before the F2P launch.

STO space combat is the strongest point for me, but I actually enjoy the casual approach to ground combat as well. If I hadn't been playing STO for the first time concurrently with trying out SWTOR, I might have had a different impression of both games. Anyway, I'm here for now rather than in a galaxy far, far away.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ullas
Well it's funny, I got into a SWTOR beta weekend immediately after I started the STO trial late last year. I played a couple more beta events and came to the conclusion that it really wasn't for me. At the same time, I continued playing my STO trial and eventually bought the STO CE to get in some play time before the F2P launch.

STO space combat is the strongest point for me, but I actually enjoy the casual approach to ground combat as well. If I hadn't been playing STO for the first time concurrently with trying out SWTOR, I might have had a different impression of both games. Anyway, I'm here for now rather than in a galaxy far, far away.
Keeping my feelings about Lucas out of it, the point that put me off of SW:TOR was a major selling point for a lot of its players. I cannot stand voiceover in my mmos. I play with the sound off entirely on every mmo. In this, if I hadn't turned off the sound on day 2 I'd have gone insane from the constant repetitive sounds. I turned sound on for a few minutes and was greeted with the wooden, unpleasant, and evironmentally unmatched sound of a dabo girl who unsurprisingly only has about 4 or 5 phrases. Anyway, back to the voiceover. I vastly prefer just reading mission text and story content. And since that was such a big focus for TOR's development I just see a game that is going to be a polar opposite to what I enjoy. The revelation that space is not free roaming in TOR was just confirmation that it's not the game for me.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort1980 View Post
Now, if there was an MMO that had TOR's story telling, and STO's space combat, then I'd be impressed.
Indeed.

TOR and STO are very different games. I have concerns about both, but also things to like about both.

I have never seen TOR as an STO-killer, since they have different approaches to game play. In fact, the things that I strongly dislike about TOR are the rail-shooter space combat, the fact that "You (And Ten Thousand Others Just Like You) Are The Speshul Chosen One(s)," and the nagging sensation that there is no in-game community per se; this last perhaps is my perception only, but when I picture a stars-spanning MMO I picture something at least a little like Elite Plus or X, or EVE.

Which... STO has the great potential to be.

It is entirely possible to make an Elite-like Star Trek game without it becoming Ferengi Acquisition Online. Ive said it before, STO's strongest point, the unpolished gem that could in fact be a TOR-killer, is the space combat/space travel aspect. The galaxy can be a sandbox, and that is something that a lot of people would very much like, I think. That will set STO apart from TOR, from WoW, from any other game out there. It can even set STO apart from EVE, because EVE is all about the PvP, and if STO can set itself up as a more approachable, more casual-friendly sandbox universe game, that's a leg up on EVE. (I can't count the number of people who avoid EVE because of the horror stories from that game, almost all of which are true.)

It was mentioned in the Extra Credits videocast about microtransactions that players are content. One way that Cryptic can leverage this is, essentially, become "EVE lite." Make crafting more elaborate and useful, make transporting materiels across space important and nontrivial, make the galaxy larger, and make travel outside the core systems dangerous. And if you really want to make things interesting, make for some sectors with Territory Control PvP that gives crafting bonuses to everyone in the faction.

Improving exploration can also lead to making certain resources/commodities/DOffs available on planets at regular intervals. Transporting them to established fleet nodes, triggering attacks by pirates and flagging them by the enemy's intelligence services (perhaps a 'counterintelligence' skill can prevent that or reduce when the transport gets flagged?) would make such transport nontrivial and exciting. Finding Strange New Worlds and negotiating/fighting for their resources could be a vital strategy. EVERYOINE in a faction therefore contributes, both the PvPers in the Neutral Zones and the PvEers in the exploration zones.

In addition I would recommend putting in some more EC sinks. The best way to do this is to make batteries and 'fast hull repair pallets' craftable. Another way is to make torpedoes a consumable ammunition. This will create an immediate demande not only from PvEers but PvPers, all of whom would need to go into new exploration sectors and PvP territory control.

You know, it must be that I'm still sick from over the weekend. I typed this all out, and only just now realized that there's no way in hockeysticks that any of this will even be considered let alone implemented. This would require a major redesign from the ground up. Ergo... especially at this point... it will never happen. Bleh. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled more helpful feedback. =P
Closed Thread