Lt. Commander
# 1 Screen Resolution Troubles
01-05-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm a returner due to the early access; I played about a year ago, and subscribed for a couple of months, but then wandered away to do other things.

I'm having great difficulties trying to get a suitable resolution for the game. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GTS 250 with 1GB memory. I've got 4GB PC memory, running Windows 7 on an AMD Phenom II X4 955. (I have dual monitors, in case that's causing an issue - but it hasn't with other games; they just ignore the second screen.)

It starts off in mega blocky 1024x768 @ 75MHz (4:3). Trying to change to different resolutions causes it to flick between desktop and the game endlessly until I kill the program thru the Task Manager, or I get an error message that suggests I don't have enough video memory, since I've tried to change the display to 2048x2048 (or some other number that's way off the scale.)

This happens when I try and change it to 1680x1050 (desktop resolution) or 1280x768 , a 16:9 option.

The game is playable in 1024, but the buttons are all too big, and the chat window is huge - I'd much rather ratchet it up to around the 1280 region so I can at least see behind the chat screen...

Anyone else had this problem? Any suitable resolutions or tweaks I can apply?

I'm fairly certain I had it working when I played before, but it never had this on\off\on\off problem!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Hey,

I had the same problem as you, for some reason everytime I tried to click anywhere on the right side of the screen it went back to the desktop. Try setting the display mode to Maximum Window, it seems to be working for me at the moment, and I'm running at 1360x768.

Hope this helps
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-06-2012, 01:39 AM
From a quick test there, Window Maximised automatically took me to my desktop resolution (1680x1050) and didn't start a dilithium cascade failure between desktop and the game

I ran around Starbase for a bit, and it seemed stable, and not too jerky.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Will try more when back from work.