Lt. Commander
# 61
02-21-2012, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitgb View Post
just adding that I too have been having intermittent black flickering space textures for the last 2 weeks since I rejoined STO. Looks a lot like the z-fighting you hear about in other games (multilayered textures that when viewed from certain distance/angles, lower layers momentarily are shown above the layer that *should* be above them) although it may not *be* z-fighting, and just looks like it.
Yeah, I have to agree, it looks like there is something wrong with the z-buffer ordering. Reminds me of the days of Quake 2 and playing with the gl_ztrick option and getting the same results with my old TNT2. In fact, the whole "Planets filling up" might be related to that too. Thing is, that trick was for OpenGL, not D3D...

Anyway, random flickering in both D3D9 and D3D11 (Black textures in D3D11 BTW) modes on my nVidia GTX 550, 295.51 drivers.
Lt. Commander
# 62
02-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFoxx View Post
Yeah, I have to agree, it looks like there is something wrong with the z-buffer ordering.
[...]
In fact, the whole "Planets filling up" might be related to that too.
Totally agree
Lt. Commander
# 63
02-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Fix this >< freaking 2 months I cant play because the galaxy looks like a broken glass window >_>
Lt. Commander
# 64
02-26-2012, 05:15 PM
I also have flicking space textures.

6970, core i7 4.6ghz, 16gb Ram, SSD. Z68 board.

Does the reinstalling of 12.1 driver help?
Lt. Commander
# 65
02-26-2012, 10:33 PM
This is very noticeable doing the Defari dailies. It happened in every mission. Please can we get an eta for when this will be fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 66
03-02-2012, 03:54 PM
4 significant patches in the last 2 weeks, plus various small hotfixes, and not one of them seems to even mention this issue - Still happening to me, I imagine it's still happening to others - I'd personally really appreciate some indication that it's being investigated - if someone could even just nail it down to a particular gpu or video setting issue, I'd be a lot more content. Its been at least 2 weeks since the last dev response...
Lt. Commander
# 67 Flickering remains....
03-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitgb View Post
4 significant patches in the last 2 weeks, plus various small hotfixes, and not one of them seems to even mention this issue - Still happening to me, I imagine it's still happening to others - I'd personally really appreciate some indication that it's being investigated - if someone could even just nail it down to a particular gpu or video setting issue, I'd be a lot more content. Its been at least 2 weeks since the last dev response...
Given the size of the last three patches, you'd think we'd have solved this by now.

Yes, still having the same issues as reported above.
Lt. Commander
# 68
03-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Could we at least be told if this is something that can be fixed by updating GPU drivers? Or if this is something on cryptics side we just need to wait for?
Lt. Commander
# 69
03-06-2012, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlross
Could we at least be told if this is something that can be fixed by updating GPU drivers? Or if this is something on cryptics side we just need to wait for?
The latter.
Lt. Commander
# 70
03-06-2012, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlross
I also have flicking space textures.

6970, core i7 4.6ghz, 16gb Ram, SSD. Z68 board.

Does the reinstalling of 12.1 driver help?

So far the 12.1 Catalyst drivers seem to be greatly reducing this flicker. NOTE I said reduce, not resolve.

Simply put, there are 2 (or more) texture layers that aren't behaving themselves the way they should be. If you watch an old sci-fi movie from the 70's-80's for example you can see a little black box outline around a spaceship when moving through space.

The problem is on the server side Cryptic/PWE and will require some tweaking to either the textures or more likely the programming. Because this is pretty much a game wide issue with what is called the skybox, it will be something that will take them a long time to fix.
Closed Thread