Lt. Commander
Hello All,

Iím not a big fan of our new skill system; however, Iím learning to live with it.

I like the fact that the system is being simplified to make things easier to understand.

I donít like that fact that most of the time that youíll end up having points left over that you cannot spend or that some of the skill included in the system seem rushed and unnecessary.

Hereís a list of my top 5 why would I want these skills:

1. Subsystem Repair
Unless it been changed the skills Engineering and Science Team can repair any subsystem that goes down so why would I use any of my valuable skill points on Subsystem Repair?

2. Drive Coil
Sure I will help my vessel get from point A to point B faster while Iím in sector space but what will it do for me while Iím in Space Combat?

3. Starship Batteries (Sorry the name Escapes me)
Having used this skill before the 75/25 spilt and opting to ignore it after the split, I can say that I see no difference in the amount of power or length of time that my Batteries give or last.

Most of us invest in skills that raise our base power levels to at least 50 or better when we are in space combat and one +75 battery will put most of us at the max of 125 power in the field that we used the battery for.

I believe that the effect of batteries last for about 10 seconds and even when I was using Starship Batteries I donít think I was getting much more than that.

4. Stealth
This skill boosts the effect of your Cloaking device or Masked Energy Signature.

Ok the last time I checked having an Auxiliary power set at 50 or better was more than enough for me to ghost up on a target and unload on them (Iím talking PVP because in PVE it really doesnít matter if the NPC see me or not)

In my VoíQuv with my Aux set at 64, I still had a 94% detection rate for cloaked vessels; however, I never even bothered looking for Cloaked Feds.

5. Threat Generation
Investing in this skill will make the enemies that you attack focus fire on you and not the rest of your teammates or allies and it gives you some kind of damage resistance buff but it gives no actual way to verify to % given.

Well I posted my opinion of this skill in another tread so Iíll just try to summarize here.

I can find no reason to use this skill in normal PVE and Iíd never use it in Elite PVE.

I can only speak for myself when I say that the last thing that Iíd want when Iím running an Elite STF is have more targets firing at me.

Thatís my top 5 list of questionable skills.

Now Iíd like to ask why we donít have skills that do more useful things.

How about a skill that boosts crew regeneration?

How about a skill that reduces your Threat level so you can get more cheap shots in on NPC targets without them wanting to take your head off?

How about a skill that raises the effectiveness of other skill in the related field?

Ex. Engineering Excellence:

This skill provides a small boost to the effectiveness all Engineering related skills.

How about a skill that reduces the possibility of receiving a Critical Hit?

How about a skill that raises your base number of hit points for ground combat?

Sorry for such a long post but our current skill system leaves much to be desired.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Quote:
3. Starship Batteries (Sorry the name Escapes me)
Having used this skill before the 75/25 spilt and opting to ignore it after the split, I can say that I see no difference in the amount of power or length of time that my Batteries give or last.
10 seconds is the base time for this skill with zero points. 20 seconds is the max duration at 9 points.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Overall I guess the skill system changes will be for the good but I don't like most of it. Before it was like an old friend i understood it and how to tweak it for the builds I wanted. With the new system there's no way I can spec to get the same results as before it was once more a shot in the dark to see if X skill does as advertized or wasn't al lit was cracked up to be.

But that could just be me I tend to fight any change tooth and nail

I don't mind the ground split I don't think it will affect my toons much I always put some skill points in ground.

The one thing I actually LIKE about the changes is that you are no longer required to spec into the class and weapon types you want to use you can hop into any ship you have without respeccing.

IMHO though It is never a good idea to take away customization options from players in an MMO is not diversity of skill builds not what allows each player to make his character his ship unique?

Frankly I'm tried of games dumbing everything down. The mentality of devs these days seems to be, "Let's just assume our players are 90% morons who can't grasp anything that requires more than a 5th grade education."
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozan View Post
Frankly I'm tried of games dumbing everything down. The mentality of devs these days seems to be, "Let's just assume our players are 90% morons who can't grasp anything that requires more than a 5th grade education."
Sir, I salute you.

Varlo out.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-06-2012, 02:03 PM
I rather like the new system. And I love the new UI.

The only let down for me was the Science Ground Skill Set. My character is supposed to be a Doctor. It is the way that she always has been in-game, in RP, and in Background. But if I make her a Doctor then I end up with a lot of leftover Skill Points. It was sort of a bummer.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
The new system is a boon for a dedicated training character. With the new Ground Skill implementation, combined with the modified Space Skill tree, it is now possible for a character to teach ALL trainable skills. And even if the total number of trainable skills have been reduced, the ability for a character to train skills has actually increased, with enough points left over to have decent abilities in the remaining skill catagories...
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeslyn
I rather like the new system. And I love the new UI.

The only let down for me was the Science Ground Skill Set. My character is supposed to be a Doctor. It is the way that she always has been in-game, in RP, and in Background. But if I make her a Doctor then I end up with a lot of leftover Skill Points. It was sort of a bummer.
Doctors do have more knowledge than just Multispecies Anatomy, Xeno-Biology and surgical techniques.. They still have to know about basic physics, chemistry, and other sciences.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzun View Post
Doctors do have more knowledge than just Multispecies Anatomy, Xeno-Biology and surgical techniques.. They still have to know about basic physics, chemistry, and other sciences.

Not this one. She is kinda dumb. Even mentions in her Bio that she only graduated from the academy because she cheated. Heck, I didn't give her any medical skills until she was an Admiral just to amuse myself with how bad of a doctor she was. :p
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-06-2012, 04:01 PM
I can't say yet whether I like or dislike it but I found that I had to go without the ability to train officers in some skills in order to put more points in things like hull strength; in things that help my gameplay day to day. I rarely have to train an officer and I think I will have to buy some purple BO's on the exchange in order to retrain my crew. I know that some skills are not available this way.

I had to respec three times before I saw how best to go about it. Perhaps I am just doing it wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeslyn
Not this one. She is kinda dumb. Even mentions in her Bio that she only graduated from the academy because she cheated. Heck, I didn't give her any medical skills until she was an Admiral just to amuse myself with how bad of a doctor she was. :p
You put this in her biography?

I had a teacher once who asked "Would you go to a doctor if you knew they had failed organic chemistry in college?" I am not sure what to think about that. I suppose their undergraduate performance would not matter to me as much as how they did in medical school.