Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-06-2012, 04:21 PM
The old skill system was a vague, confusing mess. The new system is a vast improvement, as far as I'm concerned. I still don't really know how the numbers relate to the game mechanics, but at least I have a much better feeling that I'm not wasting many of my skill points. There are some skills that I clearly want to invest in, some that I can clearly avoid, and overall I don't feel that I have too few points to use.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Reported to Starfleet Medical....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeslyn
Not this one. She is kinda dumb. Even mentions in her Bio that she only graduated from the academy because she cheated. Heck, I didn't give her any medical skills until she was an Admiral just to amuse myself with how bad of a doctor she was. :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Err... so who does your dedicated training character train? Train the Bridge Officers? Train the Duty Officers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
The new system is a boon for a dedicated training character. With the new Ground Skill implementation, combined with the modified Space Skill tree, it is now possible for a character to teach ALL trainable skills. And even if the total number of trainable skills have been reduced, the ability for a character to train skills has actually increased, with enough points left over to have decent abilities in the remaining skill catagories...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeslyn
Not this one. She is kinda dumb. Even mentions in her Bio that she only graduated from the academy because she cheated. Heck, I didn't give her any medical skills until she was an Admiral just to amuse myself with how bad of a doctor she was. :p
Then don't take any of the other science skills (Focus on the general ground skills) and put the rest of your points in space. If you take shielding, willpower, and armor, you will *not* need to put any points in any ground skills other than the 5 'basic' and medical.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirai View Post
The old skill system was a vague, confusing mess. The new system is a vast improvement, as far as I'm concerned. I still don't really know how the numbers relate to the game mechanics, but at least I have a much better feeling that I'm not wasting many of my skill points. There are some skills that I clearly want to invest in, some that I can clearly avoid, and overall I don't feel that I have too few points to use.
I agree. Now I can bone up on particular traits/skills. With the old system I always felt like I was sacrificing, especially in the ship weapons. Now the weapon stuff is general so you can switch out phaser, plasma, etc. without losing the bonus's. Same for the ground. And like you said, there are things I can totally disregard. Also the UI looks much much better.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozan View Post
IMHO though It is never a good idea to take away customization options from players in an MMO is not diversity of skill builds not what allows each player to make his character his ship unique?

Frankly I'm tried of games dumbing everything down. The mentality of devs these days seems to be, "Let's just assume our players are 90% morons who can't grasp anything that requires more than a 5th grade education."
Truer words were never spoken that's why i complain about it and show them how dumb i am by using my money they were getting for other things.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
01-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Quote:
You put this in her biography?
Bio's are not meant to just be what is on the character's public records.

They are often written with OOC information that is meant to be read as a player, not as the character.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
What I dislike it that there are so few options now that all my toons have basically identical builds.

Hooray for cookies cutters... :-(
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
01-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSG62
I agree. Now I can bone up on particular traits/skills. With the old system I always felt like I was sacrificing, especially in the ship weapons. Now the weapon stuff is general so you can switch out phaser, plasma, etc. without losing the bonus's. Same for the ground. And like you said, there are things I can totally disregard. Also the UI looks much much better.
I, agree. The UI is pretty sleek, but I'm downright confused by some of the name changes and skill eliminations. Once I get used to it, I'm sure I'll love it more.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
01-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKeith2011
What I dislike it that there are so few options now that all my toons have basically identical builds.

Hooray for cookies cutters... :-(
It did feel a little that way when I saw how the cruiser, science, and escort skills were removed. I guess those have become part of the manueverability skills we can put points into.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:38 AM.