Lt. Commander
# 31
01-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehpic
It looks like the f2p matrix page got a bit mangled in the website upgrade. I believe the previous version of the page said "2 additional slots at some ranks". I sent an email to the web team, and I expect they will get it corrected in the morning.
The matrix, since it first came out has stated the "+2 per rank". It is also understood that it is "all subject to change". Which in this case it must have. However, I, and I'm sure others can't help but feel this is another T3/T5 situation. Something is said/written, and then months later it's "oops, that isn't what was said". Then when actual quotes are shown that that is what was said there is no response at all, back-pedaling, or players just called 'whiners". I guess what I'm saying is just fess up that Cryptic decided to change their minds about what they want to give to the "gold" members. There is no need to try and play the "oops the website messed up"(though I will take you at your word that you thought the matrix said "some ranks") or "I was misquoted"(a favorite) excuse. I can't speak for others, but I myself would take the changes better if you just were honest with us that the company changed its mind about things regarding this game, instead of pretending something wasn't said that was.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Quote:
It looks like the f2p matrix page got a bit mangled in the website upgrade. I believe the previous version of the page said "2 additional slots at some ranks". I sent an email to the web team, and I expect they will get it corrected in the morning.
Google's cache from January 9th says otherwise:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kMR94XuWcL4J:www.startrekonline.com/f2p_features+http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_features
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Heh...

Bet You're sorry Ya wadded hip-deep into this pile of tribble-poo..., ...aren't cha?

<chuckle>
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Quote:
The matrix was written a long time ago, when FTP was first announced to the community, and that is not the final version. It has changed several times since its initial release, and I assume it will change again before FTP goes into service.
eh? what changes would those be?

Quote:
Lying is purposefully attempting to deceive someone by prevaricating. I see no malicious intent here, so I think it is a bit insulting to call them liars. I am not even certain that the statement is false. Rather, it seems poorly worded.
the act of lying has nothing whatsoever to do with intent. the act of lying is stating something that is not true. intent is not relevant to that. whether that is their intent or not I don't know

Quote:
Likewise, false advertising is intentionally making false or misleading claims in order to deceive consumers. Honest mistakes by companies making statements in good faith that they are true is generally not false advertising.
false advertising is the act of advertising something that turns out not to be true. again, intent has nothing to do with it. a mistake is still false advertising and can still get you into trouble.

Quote:
As others have pointed out, lies are misstatements of truth with the intention of deception
except that they are not. again, intention has zero to do with it

Quote:
I think it very unlikely that Cryptic was intending to deceive anyone with their feature matrix.
while I don't know if it was intentional or not, they've lied about a considerable number things a considerable number of times. I don't see why this would be seen as anything different

just sayin'
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-17-2012, 11:39 AM
It was changed by the web team but now when I mouse over the ? it seems like they made it a bigger misleading statement that is not true. (I hope that term makes people feel better now)

Or existing characters do not get what the Matrix says?
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Did you tell the web team they made it even more confusing now? And let's call a spade a spade. There is proof it was the way it was long before the website upgrade.

Just say Golds get 10 at cap while Silvers will have 5. Both can purchase more. Stop with trying to PR it up.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-19-2012, 11:05 AM
My bad. I was going from memory of what had previously been in the matrix and I mis-remembered. It looks like they updated the matrix to have the details I sent them for how many slots you get at each rank, but the main text still says "+2 Additional Slots Per Rank" and "+1 Additional Slot Per Rank", which is incorrect. I will get them to fix it. In the mean time, the correct number of slots can be seen by mousing over the question mark. Here it is for your reference:

Bridge officer slots for gold players by rank:
  • Ensign - 4
  • Lieutenant - 4
  • Lt. Commander - 6
  • Commander - 8
  • Captain - 8
  • Rear Adm., Lower - 10
  • Rear Adm., Upper - 10
  • Vice Adm. - 10

Bridge officer slots for silver players by rank:
  • Ensign - 4
  • Lieutenant - 4
  • Lt. Commander - 4
  • Commander - 4
  • Captain - 5
  • Rear Adm., Lower - 6
  • Rear Adm., Upper - 6
  • Vice Adm. - 6
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
the act of lying has nothing whatsoever to do with intent. the act of lying is stating something that is not true. intent is not relevant to that. whether that is their intent or not I don't know
Nope, sorry. Per Merriam-Webster, the definitions of the verb "to lie:"
1: to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive
2: to create a false or misleading impression

Intent matters a great deal, and pretty much everybody except a couple of forum ragers agrees that lying strongly implies intent to deceive.
Quote:
false advertising is the act of advertising something that turns out not to be true. again, intent has nothing to do with it. a mistake is still false advertising and can still get you into trouble.
That's not true, either. If you have a misprint in an ad, you can post a correction. No harm, no foul, no punishment or consequences.

I am unaware of a single example of false advertising actually going to court where there was no intent to deceive.
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
the act of lying has nothing whatsoever to do with intent. the act of lying is stating something that is not true. intent is not relevant to that.
So when I give a wrong answer on a test, I am lying to the professor? I think not.
Definition of LIE
intransitive verb
1: to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive

Source: Websters Abridged Dictionary
In common usage, the difference between accusing someone of lying and accusing them of being wrong is the intent to deceive (id est, intending to create a false impression either by misstating the truth or deceiving by omission or subterfuge).

If I were a developer at Cryptic, I would not respond to this post because rather than saying, hey, I think you may have made a mistake with the matrix you are accusing them of being liars.
Closed Thread