Lt. Commander
# 21
01-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post

-snip -
The Ablative Armor is incredibly powerful. It's essentially a "get out of jail free" card.

The reason it's not a toggle is because it's more or less a God Mode. Toggle God Modes are not good for gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
The Ablative Armor is incredibly powerful. It's essentially a "get out of jail free" card.

The reason it's not a toggle is because it's more or less a God Mode. Toggle God Modes are not good for gameplay.

Nah, I am going to have to go with Z3R0B4NG on this one. Ablative Armor is essentially useless unless you are running an All Torpedo build. It might have been a Get-Out-Of-Jail-Free Card if it was a Toggled ability. If it Increased Torpedo Damage or made them By-Pass Shields, then it would be a pretty good Special. As it stands now, it merely postpones your death for a dozen seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekrit_Agent
Please take your "it's not a big deal" elsewhere and stop threadcrapping. Thanks.
Make me. I stated my opinion and if you don't like it..tuff crap. I don't like it you thread crap, but do you see me telling you to take it elsewhere? I just stated that the underside of the ship has nothing to do with gameplay. There time and effort can be spent on other things that will actually improve the gameplay.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Devil's advocate: the time and effort needed to improve the Intrepid textures would be spent by the graphics team, not the gameplay team.

That said, there are bigger fish to fry in both areas. Graphically speaking, I'd want to see things like toggleable engine trails, new costume options, and a massive reduction in the asteroid population before any more ship tweaks.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Yes, considering he made a variant for it (Bellerophon) and that underside is wrong too.
The Bellerophon is a different ship, brand spanking new and exclusive to STO. The underside can't be wrong because there's no previous canon Bellerphon class for it to be wrong when compared to.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsaber View Post
That said, there are bigger fish to fry in both areas. Graphically speaking, I'd want to see things like toggleable engine trails, new costume options, and a massive reduction in the asteroid population before any more ship tweaks.
Yeah but honestly, this shouldn't take more than half a working day for a competent modeler and texture artist to fix. I mean come on it's not like we're asking them to redesign the ship from scratch. Load the model file in your 3D editor, patch that area up, export it, modify the texture accordingly, and bam you're done. It's just not that complicated a procedure, and if such a trivial fix truly would take too many resources, Cryptic is in serious, serious trouble in staying solvent as a company.

P.S. regarding the ablative armor console, I sort of agree with both points. As it is, it's merely a "oh crap" lifesaver, since your damage output goes to virtually zero when it's used. However, making it a toggle with some buffs would increase its utility and neat factor. Being immune to tractors for example, would greatly increase its usability in its "oh crap" mode since if you activate it now and then get tagged with a tractor beam, you cannot escape the combat zone before it wears off. Also, being "invincible" is counterbalanced by not being able to deal any damage either.

All-torp builds are not really practical since the global cooldown on torps limits their usefulness to a large degree. However, as another player pointed out to me, the rapid reload transphasic launcher from the Breen FE does not seem to be affected by this. I have 2 and I can fire them one after another very fast. If you loaded up with 6 of those it might make for an interesting build. The low damage of the launchers though may still make this more of a novelty rather than an effective setup.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-07-2012, 02:19 PM
I think the ablative armor ability is useful enough. I run an intrepid with one beam array, one chroniton launcher, and one tricobalt launcher front and back, so it's not an all torp build, but I can still pew when armored. Tractor resistance would be sweet, though.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Really? You moved it and then ignored it?
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-09-2012, 04:48 PM
I'm surprised they didn't merge it with the actual ship error thread here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=163481
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Really? You moved it and then ignored it?
It was supposed to be here to begin with, you know. They just fixed your mistake.