Lt. Commander
# 1 STO for Mac
01-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Is it on the plan to put STO on Mac via the Mac App Store, if you could then it would increase the user base massively and allow me to play on my superior iMac instead of my 4 year old PC.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIRALCUTTER28
if you could then it would increase the user base massively.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Macos has a 5% share... where do you get massively increase form addressing a 5% user base?

I know that Mac/apple people think they are something special.. but you are just a minority if it comes to video gaming and how large the potential sales are there.

And pls dont bring up angrybirds on iphone....
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Is it on the plan to put STO on Mac via the Mac App Store, if you could then it would increase the user base massively and allow me to play on my superior iMac instead of my 4 year old PC.
LOL, can't resist.

So despite all the dev requests for the game, the numerous complaints, the massive wish list, the small staff at Cryptic etc etc, you want them to spend time porting and checking a MAC version so that a handful of MAC users would then go F2P. Sorry that doesn't make good business sense to me. And yes I'm sure your MAC is superior to a 4 year old PC, but there is a reason that all the mega gaming machines are PCs and not MACs and any half decent new gaming PC would trounce any MAC guaranteed. I run a video editing company and there was a time when MACs were THE only choice, no longer, ALL our computers are now PCs running AVID software, the same used to make Avatar.

I just love MAC owners and their quaint machines and their totally polarised view that MACs are brilliant and the best thing since sliced bread, makes me ROFL. They look great, they are nice to use but they can't compete in the games arena and are massively overpriced.

Now if you are talking about a port of the DOFF system to iPad or iPhone then THAT is a phenomenally good idea, I would love an ap for my iPhone for this as would many others, so come on Cryptic, any chance you could sub this dev work out?

In the meantime I suggest if you want to fully enjoy STO and many other epic PC only games you check this out: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/alienware-a...r4/pd?~ck=anav
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Quote:
That's a bit of a loaded comparison. ANY computer is going to be superior to a 4 year old PC.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Mac's are superior to windows indefinitely, they can have 12 cores, 2 ati 6970 grahics cards, but PC is better if you are using something like the EVGA Classified SR-2 for the motherboard
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Mac's are superior to windows indefinitely, they can have 12 cores, 2 ati 6970 grahics cards, but PC is better if you are using something like the EVGA Classified SR-2 for the motherboard
*clears throat*

12 cores and two graphics cards? Lightweights....
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaYNn...eature=related
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Can we ever have a thread like this that doesn't immediately devolve into Mac/PC e-peen measuring contests?

To the OP: a Mac port is probably not on the plan, no. This is unfortunate as any influx of new players can only be a good thing, whether it's "only 5% marketshare" or not. If that were the biggest barrier to entry here for MMO developers, then WoW wouldn't have been Mac-ready at launch as per Blizzard's usual standards, EVE Online never would've gotten its port, SWTOR wouldn't be heading in that direction, tiny developers like Three Rings wouldn't have bothered putting Spiral Knights on the Mac, and so on.

This is a resource issue. Cryptic alone doesn't have the manpower to divert to ports. Atari didn't care about much of anything, let alone making those resources happen. Perfect World isn't known for investing in multiplatform development.

So I'd suggest using doh123's wineskin solution, or setting up a Boot Camp partition.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsaber View Post
Can we ever have a thread like this that doesn't immediately devolve into Mac/PC e-peen measuring contests?
Nope

LOL, seriously, you made good points, I was just having a laugh, MACs are nice toys if you have the cash, I'd sooner sink it into M18 Alienware Laptop if I had that kinda dough.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJimLitchfield
Nope

LOL, seriously, you made good points, I was just having a laugh, MACs are nice toys if you have the cash, I'd sooner sink it into M18 Alienware Laptop if I had that kinda dough.
^^This. For every point, there is a counterpoint. At the moment, it really just a matter of taste. But If I had the money to invest into a 12-core Mac Pro, I'd rather buy a top-O-D-line gaming PC with three video cards, liquid cooling, and a 30" monitor.