Lt. Commander
# 21
01-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delsaber View Post
I used to use Parallels for work purposes a few years back. It was incredibly slow back then, can't imagine using it for games. Has it improved enough recently to be a real option?
Honestly, I wouldn't know. I do know that Boot Camp is the best option as with that option you are only running one OS at a time.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3822 View Post
The biggest problem facing the Mac user base is that all PC games are Direct X based, gone are the days of OpenGL etc. If there was a universal games graphics platform like Direct X things would be much better. Unfortunately Microsoft has the monopoly of the market in this regard, I think people would be quite surprised how many people would game on Mac's if they could. I absolutely love my Macbook Pro, kicks the teeth out of my PC for photo editing and I much prefer the Mac OS to Windows. But that's just me.
That has nothing to do with MS monopolizing it... in fact in the early ages DX was crap compared to OpenGL and every windows version supports the lates OpenGL implementation anyway...

The problem is OpenGL has fallen behind... far behind DirectX in features and development environment. Many people forget that DirectX is not only a 3D API (thats D3D) but also offers other components like XInput, XAudio2 etc. all in one package.

Also another reason why DX is now ahead of OpenGL is that MS dares to make different DX (D3D) versionss incompatible to each other, while this is not popular with people it let you advance the API a lot faster. Even Carmack acknowledged this...
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Yeah I think the chance of STO getting an official mac port are basically zero. I'd say you're more likely to win the Jem'Hadar ship from running the winter race than running that race on an official Mac version of STO.

I have tried the unofficial "wineskin" version on my macbook pro (2009) but it isn't that great. It runs, but only on the absolutely lowest settings. It was enough for me to complete the winter event races while I was away on vacation but doing something involved like an STF was almost impossible. I am thinking about installing winXP in using bootcamp and see if it runs better.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
Yeah I think the chance of STO getting an official mac port are basically zero. I'd say you're more likely to win the Jem'Hadar ship from running the winter race than running that race on an official Mac version of STO.

I have tried the unofficial "wineskin" version on my macbook pro (2009) but it isn't that great. It runs, but only on the absolutely lowest settings. It was enough for me to complete the winter event races while I was away on vacation but doing something involved like an STF was almost impossible. I am thinking about installing winXP in using bootcamp and see if it runs better.
All you guys struggling with this that and the other work around for MACS, why not get a PC for games and keep the MAC on the coffee table as a curiosity, a pretty pice of objet d'art. I would never expect my Nokia to do what my iPhone can do, some tools are right for the job, others aren't, it's that simple.

he he (evil grin)
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-07-2012, 03:46 PM
You misread my post. I have a PC built purely for gaming, and it's awesome. Only it's a desktop. I have a laptop for travel but it's a mac since my main "working" computer is also a mac. When I wanted to try a little STO on vacation I had to use my mac laptop since it's the only portable hardware I own.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Quick note, Boot Camp only work with W7 WHICH IS EXPENSIVE, Parallels also costs a lot as well as the other one.