Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
How does the new model provide Cryptic incentive to produce new content?

I don't get how it does.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-07-2012, 06:02 PM
The game is going FtP. Like most FtP games they expect to get most of their revenue from Microtransactions. They anticipate many current subscribers will choose to go to the Silver model. It's the Walmart business model: higher volume of people each spending smaller amounts which total to more gross revenue.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
The game is going FtP. Like most FtP games they expect to get most of their revenue from Microtransactions. They anticipate many current subscribers will choose to go to the Silver model. It's the Walmart business model: higher volume of people each spending smaller amounts which total to more gross revenue.
No, I got that, but my understanding of that is that they will actually produce less products since they are selling them at a higher rent (cost). Since they are selling a lot of the old account unlocks at 1ea instead of account unlocks, and ships have 4$ tacked on to their price, won't this incentivize Cryptic to actually produce less content like ships, races, Boffs, and the like?
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Anyone else notice that when F2P was announced, the c-store just started getting a whole bunch of stuff? I wish that's how the content worked. 2011 was just a slow year for STO, I hope 2012 speeds it up!
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-07-2012, 06:10 PM
The content is what keep people coming back month after month. People do not come here to buy a ship just to fly it around Sol. The only way to keep people is to keep them entertained. To do that they must produce more content. The content is the incentive to keep buying things from the C-Store. Thus the two things have a symbiotic relationship.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Quote:
The content is what keep people coming back month after month. People do not come here to buy a ship just to fly it around Sol. The only way to keep people is to keep them entertained. To do that they must produce more content. The content is the incentive to keep buying things from the C-Store. Thus the two things have a symbiotic relationship.
That sounds dangerously close to agreeing with what I just said.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyusswren View Post
That sounds dangerously close to agreeing with what I just said.
Your primary question was what is Cryptic's incentive to produce more content rather then C-Store items. The incentive is to keep people here buying things from the C-Store month after month - and it's not like the same team which makes ships also makes missions. So you're not robbing one to do the other.

When people get bored with the content - like many of us are right now - all the "cool" ships and costumes in the world will not keep us here playing. Without new content people will pop in, get to level cap in 2 weeks, and then leave. Content is the key to FtP. Content is the movie that gets you into the theater to buy the popcorn and candy.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Content is the key to FtP. Content is the movie that gets you into the theater to buy the popcorn and candy.
You get it.

I get it.

After the last Blog, I'm not sure if Cryptic does.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-07-2012, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Collier
You get it.

I get it.

After the last Blog, I'm not sure if Cryptic does.
To my mind they are far too busy working on system mechanics trying to please certain segments of the community. I get that most of 2011 was devoted to them converting to behind the scenes for FtP but all the effort that's been put into shooter modes, UI changes, Difficulty Sliders, etc, etc, etc over the last 18 months should have been put into content. All the mechanics are wasted effort if there's nothing new to use them on.

My suspicion is that a Romulan expansion will be out this year. It will be a for-pay expansion, like LotRO and other FtP games produce. It's going to have new Rommy Missions, new ships, and probably add a ton of new items to the C-Store: various Rommy ships, uniforms, etc. That will be the main content push; as an incentive to bring back some of the bored.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyusswren View Post
How does the new model provide Cryptic incentive to produce new content?

I don't get how it does.
The model is not the problem the execution of said model is.

Cryptic/PW/whomever seems to believe that a crap load of c-store items with a smattering of time intensive worth while content (see below) will enable the game to be successful OR they're just milking the IP (and it's fans) for all it's (they) are worth until the game fails or the agreement with CBS runs out.

I find it unfortunate

time intensive worth while content - The Doff system is a good example of what I mean and obviously the FEs are another. Most of the examples of 'content' as provided by the temp EP are not.

IF they planned even 1 FE per quarter (4/year) and worked in fleet content, improved crafting, improved pvp, and completed the KDF faction with the addition of another faction over the course of the next two years then we'd be talking.

As it stands now, I've lost all confidence that any further investment in this game by me would be a good use of my resources. That likely won't keep me from spending anything (I do have moments of weakness) but it will be much less than I otherwise would have.

I'm confident that I'm not the only one with that viewpoint.