Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler42 View Post
I'm confident that I'm not the only one with that viewpoint.
Nope. You're not.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Your primary question was what is Cryptic's incentive to produce more content rather then C-Store items. The incentive is to keep people here buying things from the C-Store month after month - and it's not like the same team which makes ships also makes missions. So you're not robbing one to do the other.
Not exactly. As I see it they also have very little incentive to produce new c-store items as most people would only be interested in the end game ships (T5+) and stuff they could use to make their lives easier in game. While stuff like the Oberth and the Thunderchild are nice additions, they add very very little to a player's overall experience. The way they have prices structured so far it seems that the T6 ships will all be 2000 C-coins and nobody wants to pay 20$ per ship. So the only option that avails itself is to milk the current tier of content (T5) for all it is worth, and they have already completed most of the options that would be available at that level.

Additionally with Boffs costing 400 c-coin per each and them no longer being account unlocks it would not make much sense for them to release new ones. By both increasing the cost and reducing the value they've essentially doomed the production of new bridge officers. Same with new races.

Then with the addition of lottery based stuff, any additions they do add will be available first through that. The problem with this is that there is so little equity in the lottery boxes for the end user. The tickets cost a dollar and are only redeemable once, as opposed to being able to be redeemed each time they have a lottery box available. There are people that spent HUNDRES of dollars on those things and got nothing that they wanted out of them. The problem with that is that it allows Cryptic to place unreasonable restrictions on new content's availability with no guarantee of ever making new content available to anybody that doesn't participate in their lottery programs. For those of you who don't know, lotteries are commonly referred to as an "Idiot tax".

So once again, I don't understand the incentive for Cryptic to create new content, either c-store content or episodic or fleet actions or STFs or pvp zones or pvp modes or any of that stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Content is the key to FtP. Content is the movie that gets you into the theater to buy the popcorn and candy.
That's pretty much a spot on analogy.

Also, I'm one of those people who smuggles a Nutter Butter package and a capri-sun into the theater instead of paying for overpriced condiments.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyusswren View Post
Not exactly. As I see it...
Well, I see it much differently than you. How about instead of speculating about what is going to happen, you allow some time to pass and actually see what does happen? I'm having a hard time understanding what your motivation behind this thread is. Cryptic isn't about to just "stop everything." The whole point of this transitional period was to keep this game moving forward.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Quote:
So once again, I don't understand the incentive for Cryptic to create new content, either c-store content or episodic or fleet actions or STFs or pvp zones or pvp modes or any of that stuff.
An MMO without new content stagnates and dies.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_Strife
An MMO without new content stagnates and dies.
Yeeeaaah....

This is kinda the eastern-grindfest way, the PWE way, though.

Several titles are hosted in tandem with minimal content updates and frequent cash shop release (sometimes it's just painting an old item lime green and buffing the stats). This compenstaes for the inevitable shrinking of the playerbase to the point where you are left with those that love the IP too much/too heavily invested in the game/the few that actually like this (although this happens in any MMO eventually, in eastern model MMO's with western servers, this happens extremely quickly).

The idea is to get as much money as possible while spending as little as possible. No game could do this and stand on its own but get half a dozen of these games otgether and it becomes quite prfitable, most companies that host these games for western audiences have many more titles than that.

At least, this is what happens with eastern-grindfests in the western market, seems to work quite well for the target audience. STO is becoming a small cog in the PWE machine, nothing more.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswfire View Post
Well, I see it much differently than you. How about instead of speculating about what is going to happen, you allow some time to pass and actually see what does happen? I'm having a hard time understanding what your motivation behind this thread is. Cryptic isn't about to just "stop everything." The whole point of this transitional period was to keep this game moving forward.
Ok. You're asking me to wait and see, and I'll do that. But the fact of the matter remains that I can see very little incentive for them to add new content to the C-store or the game itself in any sort of frequent manner. If it is there, I just don't see it.

That is my prime motivation behind this thread. By placing the old content at such a high price point instead of lowering the price point on the old content they have effectively lowered the ARPU by 33%.

I will explain why.

A: They have actually given the stipends from gold membership a negative or near negative value.
B: Since all the stuff is at a higher price point old players will steer newer players away from impulse purchases because of the purchases that were actually worth it for the end game at the old price point have had 5$ added to their cost for almost no reason.
C: Because of the high price point on old content that was already bought and paid for by the subscribers dollars being rolled out specifically for the efforts of producing an artificial shortage of c-coins in the Dilithium Exchange by keeping dilithium in overabundance, c-coin value low and price point high.
D: All of those factors and a few more basically add up to less content for us (the users) and lower revenues for Cryptic. THIS IS WHY IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Ok. You're asking me to wait and see, and I'll do that. But the fact of the matter remains that I can see very little incentive for them to add new content to the C-store or the game itself in any sort of frequent manner. If it is there, I just don't see it.

That is my prime motivation behind this thread. By placing the old content at such a high price point instead of lowering the price point on the old content they have effectively lowered the ARPU by 33%.

I will explain why.

A: They have actually given the stipends from gold membership a negative or near negative value.
B: Since all the stuff is at a higher price point old players will steer newer players away from impulse purchases because of the purchases that were actually worth it for the end game at the old price point have had 5$ added to their cost for almost no reason.
C: Because of the high price point on old content that was already bought and paid for by the subscribers dollars being rolled out specifically for the efforts of producing an artificial shortage of c-coins in the Dilithium Exchange by keeping dilithium in overabundance, c-coin value low and price point high.
D: All of those factors and a few more basically add up to less content for us (the users) and lower revenues for Cryptic. THIS IS WHY IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE TO ME.
Honestly, I don't really disagree with you on almost all of your logic. You're absolutely right that the stipend means absolutely nothing as they raised the prices to the point where we're not actually getting anything cheaper in the C-Store. And I too think they artificially raised the prices way too much.

But, I think where we differ in opinion, is the motivation behind why they did this. I think it is just more about "playing it safe" in the beginning. Right now, all anyone can do (including Cryptic) is speculate about what revenue distribution will be once free-to-play is official. And it's even possible that Cryptic's hands are a little bit tied by PWE's model of doing things.

I think over the next few months there will be a lot of changes that happen in order to solidify this new hybrid payment model. But before they can do that, free-to-play has to be official and the aggregate numbers need to start coming in for them to create a balanced model. So that's why I just feel it's too early to really speculate too much.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-07-2012, 11:58 PM
IM OCryptic's overpriced F2P model will fail dramatically. The prices for ships are way much too high to justify.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-08-2012, 01:24 AM
From a developer's perspective, f2p is more profitable than p2p.

About the motivation, there are some things to consider:

1.The developer will add a lot of stuff to the in-game store, obviously.
2.In order to do that he has to attract new players and motivate the veterans to spend money.
3.That cannot be achieved without adding new content.
4.Therefore the dev will have to continue adding new content both to the game and to the store.
5.We get almost the same product, but with the option of playing it for free.

Most people have a very narrow view of the f2p business model.

In their opinion, subscriptions are the only way to go, but they forget that in a p2p game, they will end up paying up to 4 times the game's initial price (considering the average price $60 and sub fee $15) per year without getting 4 times the content they should.