Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
Since Stephen didn't know about the proposed "no more than two weeks of downtime between Featured Episodes" claim by dstahl, I figure we should probably cover some other claims that were made:

If everybody could cover their top five or so priorities from things that were offered in the past, that might be helpful, if nothing else, to give him things to respond to:

- Ability to convert Bridge Officers into playable alts. SPECIFICALLY so that we can turn exotic bridge officers like the Exchange Gorn/Reman/Android/etc. into exotic alts with a secondary goal of possibly skipping some leveling on replay.
- Ability to level KDF from 1-50 through missions.
- Trait Respecs.
- TOS Bridge Interior as a Foundry Asset.
- More to do on ship interiors and editable features like the crew NPC costumes.

All of these are things that were at one point slated for Season 5 or 6, going by what we were told. Many were pushed back as Dan's tenure went on but all are things we expected by sometime in 2012 at the latest.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-07-2012, 07:13 PM
In the grand scheme of things does it matter? That past is the past. We can't change it. Worry about promises from yesterday is sort of like that first girlfriend you said "I love to." There's a good bet you didn't marry her, so it really had no long-term meaning.

IMO, the people on this forum spend too much time dwelling on the past. It's like everyone here is a history professor. We have to live in the real world, and in the real world many things we are told, tell others, and aspire to achieve just don't pan out.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
In the grand scheme of things does it matter? That past is the past. We can't change it. Worry about promises from yesterday is sort of like that first girlfriend you said "I love to." There's a good bet you didn't marry her, so it was really had no long-term meaning.

IMO, the people on this forum spend too much time dwelling on the past. It's like everyone here is a history professor. We have to live in the real world, and in the real world many things we are told, tell others, and aspire to achieve just don't pan out.

I kinda think it does. Because without any kind of engineering report with detailed plans from Stephen, he's going to continue to get ambushed with "we were told X..." comments and even the new players will be referred to Stahl's engineering reports, causing them to develop expectations at least rooted in that.

EDIT: And I think the real world means folks impressions and expectations of a product or company are formed by what reps from that company say and what that company advertises. Frankly, I think Cryptic needs a checklist of things that Stahl, Zinc, or Emmert stated as goals and should tailor their approaches to hit those. The exact route is up to the current EP but any time we're going to be really close or really far from the destinations on our itenerary, that needs to be accounted for.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-07-2012, 09:50 PM

I'd love to hear an official reply to the OP. It'd be nice to know if any or all of that is still in the pipeline somewhere and what, if anything, has been axed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Quote:
In the grand scheme of things does it matter? That past is the past. We can't change it. Worry about promises from yesterday is sort of like that first girlfriend you said "I love to." There's a good bet you didn't marry her, so it really had no long-term meaning.

Unless you got her Pregnant. :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Quote:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think those statements were honest. To say "this is the first I'm hearing about it" is not truthful in my opinion, and that bothers me. For me, it's about integrity and good leadership. I think some of those statements were, shall we say, "misleading."

Yes, you're absolutely right, things don't always pan out. No doubt the corporate fallout changed a lot of plans. What's so wrong with admitting that rather than passing the blame onto someone else or claiming complete ignorance about something that is so blatant to all of us?

With that said, I do like D'Angelo's approach of actually putting forth what he deems to be realistic goals rather than pandering to our "hopes and dreams."
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:

Well sorta yes no maybe.

A lot of that stuff is still up in the air and it'd be nice to hear something about it. Additionally, they have to responsible for those claims, it's all too easy to dismiss old promises as bollocks because they are old. Theres also the matter of reminding Cryptic that vapid nonsense spewed onto a playerbase to cover up the dissapointing reality will be remembered.

However, if it could be stated what the position is on those issues in certain terms, there'd be little point dwelling on it. But to compensate would require far more than the lukewarm plans for 2012.

And I didn't marry that girl but I'll never forget her, still got the limp...
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswfire View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I don't think those statements were honest. To say "this is the first I'm hearing about it" is not truthful in my opinion, and that bothers me. For me, it's about integrity and good leadership. I think some of those statements were, shall we say, "misleading."

Yes, you're absolutely right, things don't always pan out. No doubt the corporate fallout changed a lot of plans. What's so wrong with admitting that rather than passing the blame onto someone else or claiming complete ignorance about something that is so blatant to all of us?

With that said, I do like D'Angelo's approach of actually putting forth what he deems to be realistic goals rather than pandering to our "hopes and dreams."
heh...

At this point...,

It couldn't hurt, to do just a little more, Pandering...

(repeat this in yer head using Ms Susi, "How-words Mom" as the voice)

<chuckle>
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
- Ability to convert Bridge Officers into playable alts. SPECIFICALLY so that we can turn exotic bridge officers like the Exchange Gorn/Reman/Android/etc. into exotic alts with a secondary goal of possibly skipping some leveling on replay.
I so rarely disagree with you, but I have to do so now. This is specifically my least desired feature. I've come out against it every time and typically proposed a counter idea (that was very close to what the DOff system is now).

The levels from Captain to VA are the most content sparse, dull and familiar levels. That is the last story content everyone at max level has played. Starting another character right there only highlights how little content there was.

The tech would probably be rather substantial and I'd far rather they spend time on something that adds to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang
The levels from Captain to VA are the most content sparse, dull and familiar levels. That is the last story content everyone at max level has played. Starting another character right there only highlights how little content there was.
Just yesterday I started leveling a new character, and wow, I had forgotten how long some of those beginning missions are. I wouldn't say they're a greal deal of fun, but they sure are a time sink. But I do remember once I reached Captain, getting to VA happened really quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang
The tech would probably be rather substantial and I'd far rather they spend time on something that adds to the game.
Coming from a technical background, I'd say it's somewhere in the mid-range of difficulty at most. All you'd really need is a system that copied the appearance parameters and skill traits to a character slot. I can't imagine that it would be too difficult. Because they are bridge officers, they already have all of their animations since you can take them on ground missions.

But I feel the same -- I don't feel so strongly about wanting this feature. There are too many other things I'd rather see first.