Lt. Commander
# 1 Companions? Really?....
01-08-2012, 03:19 PM
So while checking the price raise in the C-store i notice that now all pets are called "Companions". It just seemed like one more try to be cool like SWTOR. But they're not really companions, they're pets. Vanity pets. They don't really DO anything. At least in SWTOR the companions help out in combat (do the horta really help?) and when they aren't doing that i can talk to them, send them on side missions, and in some cases hit them with the shock collar just to be a jerk. The tribbles are more of an item, the exocomp is just there, floating uslessly.

If they're going to start calling these things companions to be like the New MMO out there could they at least add more functionality to them? I for one as a TAC would love to have an Exocomp like the engineers have. Maybe grant the horta more time or the ability to stay until it's defeated instead of just 60 seconds of warming the enemies feet. Tribbles..... well maybe a stun effect or at least an animation of me throwing it at some one and them looking at me slightly confused....
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-08-2012, 03:57 PM
on the website atleast not all are called companions.

You should note their are varying degrees of companionship and not all companions will help to the same degree.

also

according to google

Quote:
pet/pet/
Noun:
A domestic or tamed animal or bird kept for companionship or pleasure and treated with care and affection.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-08-2012, 04:08 PM
it was probably changed because of all the QQing people were doing over the Exocomp and Horta "pets" because those are supposed to be sentient, and therefore cannot be "pets"

Not that I care, I know that the MMO definition of "pet" is different, and technically even your BOs are considered pets.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-08-2012, 05:45 PM
By the traditional MMO definitions (dating back to the late 90's, though they're not entirely consistent accross games), your bridge officers are pets, your combat horta and support drones are guardians, and your non-combat pets are companions.

This isn't a TOR thing any more than it's a WoW thing, and WoW actually follows the pet/guardian/companion convention, TOR doesn't.

STO doesn't, either, but they were calling both guardians and companions pets - meaning two C-store items that look like they should serve the same purpose (like the exocomp and the acid horta) are completely different things.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-09-2012, 09:37 AM
I've just never seen them referred to as such until i was checking out the raised c-store prices.
i just think it's funny with a lot of the other things going on, They get light sabers, we get lightsaberesque weapons, they have companions, now we have "companions", They mention sending your team on missions, we get doffs to send on missions, Thier game copies WOW, are game is starting to copy them lol, thier Devs don't respond to any of the problems on the forums, now OUR devs don't respond to any of the problems on the forums....

When will the madness end?

Still, on the plus side, STO has way better Character/ship creation and customizations, and we at least have SOME say in what powers we get. SWTOR is just Terrible on those fronts. I miss being able to pick powers like they did in KOTOR.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-09-2012, 10:10 AM
You do realize that every MMO design or idea can be stemmed back from some other design or idea somewhere done in the past right?

Almost everything in STO, TOR, WoW, SWG has been done before So why complain that they're copying TOR? Who says they didn't come up with these ideas before them? (And actually the DOFF system I'm sure was in development far before it was even mentioned for TOR)
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
(And actually the DOFF system I'm sure was in development far before it was even mentioned for TOR)
This one I'll have to give TOR, their first description of the system dates back to when STO's devs were talking about the duty officer system as a way to designate a bridge officer as your first officer. Remember, TOR has been in development for a godawful long time, even by Bioware standards.

Though, even though TOR mentioned it before STO, neither one actually wins it. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (the one that seems to have the most influence on the doff system) had it first, Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced did the same basic thing years before that with the dispatch system, and even that was just a more robust version of something a couple more obscure SRPGs did in the 90's.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
it was probably changed because of all the QQing people were doing over the Exocomp and Horta "pets" because those are supposed to be sentient, and therefore cannot be "pets"

Not that I care, I know that the MMO definition of "pet" is different, and technically even your BOs are considered pets.
^^^

This was it. I don't know if you remember when the Hortas came out, but people were getting WAAAAAY too upset and butthurt that 1) We were taking Horta hatchlings as 'pets', and 2) Apparently we're breeding and using them for combat like gladiatorial slaves against their will. So they changed the terminology to ease the fans' bleeding hearts. It was just too much for them to take, regardless of how the game mechanics work.

Now they're called 'companions' because as sentient beings they 'choose' to join us in our fights whenever we call upon them, instead of being something we keep locked up in a Pokeball in our pockets and throw out like cannon fodder to suffer for our whims.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-10-2012, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Shadow
So while checking the price raise in the C-store i notice that now all pets are called "Companions". It just seemed like one more try to be cool like SWTOR. But they're not really companions, they're pets. Vanity pets. They don't really DO anything. At least in SWTOR the companions help out in combat (do the horta really help?) and when they aren't doing that i can talk to them, send them on side missions, and in some cases hit them with the shock collar just to be a jerk. The tribbles are more of an item, the exocomp is just there, floating uslessly.

If they're going to start calling these things companions to be like the New MMO out there could they at least add more functionality to them? I for one as a TAC would love to have an Exocomp like the engineers have. Maybe grant the horta more time or the ability to stay until it's defeated instead of just 60 seconds of warming the enemies feet. Tribbles..... well maybe a stun effect or at least an animation of me throwing it at some one and them looking at me slightly confused....
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...=246483&page=3

I agree one hundred percent.....LET US HAVE REAL COMPANIONS
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-18-2012, 02:15 AM
i hate companions when have you ever watched a star trek film or tv show and seen these things following them about??

apart from data having a pet cat nothing comes to mind its starfleet for crying out loud. there shouldnt be any compaions in game as long as its a star trek game.

maybe a 'pet' for off duty off ship. but they should not follow u on missions tho it would be funny if data had his cat follow him around on missions.

as far as im concerned remove them from game a waste of space tbh.

star trek should be star trek and not copy other mmo's and add critters.
focus on ships and items pls not pets.