Lt. Commander
# 1 The Fate of the Enterprise-E
01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Obviously, with the Enterprise-F being put into the game, something has to be done with the Enterprise-E. Personally, I think Cryptic should hold a poll. Options may be that she's quietly retired and will be a museum ship, or that she fell to the Borg menace. I think it'd be the wise thing to do.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowknight1 View Post
Obviously, with the Enterprise-F being put into the game, something has to be done with the Enterprise-E. Personally, I think Cryptic should hold a poll. Options may be that she's quietly retired and will be a museum ship, or that she fell to the Borg menace. I think it'd be the wise thing to do.
The last "public decides" stunt that Cryptic did went down poorly, to say the very least.

The reason Cryptic have not touched the Enterprise-E is simple - CBS don't have the rights to it - Paramount do. (Which is why you don't see the JJ-prise floating around either.)

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Enterprise-F's introduction ignores the question of the E completely.

However... Academically speaking, assuming they were in a position to do anything, I'd prefer they simply took it to CBS and asked them for a canon end to the ship's career. I would personally be saddened to see it destroyed (as it carries with it the uncertainty of what happened to her captain, Data, and the rest of the crew - including Nog) so I'd like to see her quietly retired. I'm rather tired of seeing them blow up my favourite ships.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Actually CBS has the rights to the Enterprise E it was after that they don't have the rights for which is why you don't see the JJ-prise flying around.

They have said there is going to be a reason why the F has been launched.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-08-2012, 10:28 PM
There is precident for something leading up to the fate of the Enterprise-E. I don't remember when offhand, but the Enterprise is sent to investigate a starbase that Starfleet has lost contact with, and so far, that is the last it's heard from, so the story IS open. It's not really a question of "Licensing" so much as a question of "Likeness" as Data is the captain during this time period, so you would likely have to get Brent Spiner's permission to use his likeness. To date, I believe Worf is the only adult living cast member that has been in the game (you can't count Naomi Wildman or Icheb because they were kids on TV, an Q because technically it's Q2), my guess would be the got around it claiming makeup and such was a big factor, but Data LOOKS like Brent Spiner, so that might be difficult.

I know CBS wants to keep the reins on anything canon, BUT face it, there's not going to be another TNG movie or TV show, the books love to contradict themselves, AND I has been mentioned that STO takes place OUTSIDE of the Prime Universe. So it should be no problem.

It SHOULD be no problem, doesn't mean someone's panties won't get in a bunch if Cryptic decided they wanted to destroy the Ent-E.

When you get right down to it, ALL of the canon Trek (TV shows and most of the books) has already occured by the time we get to 2409, how long are we going to keep the future of what happens to our favorite crewers. Time to close the book,
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-08-2012, 10:37 PM
CBS has the rights to say what's canon or not that's true. However, they've already said STO is soft canon and nothing that happens in it will effect any prime universe storylines anyways.

So they really could make the Enterprise E turn into a fluffy tribble and it's not canon :p (Though CBS might be wondering whats up when they did it lol)
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
So they really could make the Enterprise E turn into a fluffy tribble and it's not canon :p (Though CBS might be wondering whats up when they did it lol)
Act of Q. Anything is possible. :p
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
Act of Q. Anything is possible. :p
LOL excellent point :p
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Quote:
AND I has been mentioned that STO takes place OUTSIDE of the Prime Universe.
No, STO is set in the prime universe. Look here, second paragraph: http://startrekonline.com/timeline-alternate
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinsofasolarempire
No, STO is set in the prime universe. Look here, second paragraph: http://startrekonline.com/timeline-alternate
Oh Dang!!! No he didn't!!! He just dun told you right! Sips a cup of raktacino in the corner while laughing maniacially
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Here is what I think....

The Enterprise E, and the rest of the TNG crew (apart from Wesley perhaps) are well liked. People don't want to see them killed, and perhaps because of some license issues, Cryptic both could'n and did not want to kill off the crew.

Since the Enterprise would be about 50 years old at the time, and probably undergone several refits, it is unlikely that it would still have been in service 2409 anyways, at least as the flagship.

Now I know what some might be thinking: "We have dozens of Sov-classes flying around... How is that argument valid?"
Thing is... Refitting and Retrofitting can only do so much. A newly build ship will have all the new tech integrated from day one, where a refit/retrofit will have a mix of different generations of tech, making the overall efficiency less than a brand new ship.

Now... Everyone still loves the TNG crew, but in 2409, the only one who would actually still be "young" enough to be on that ship in their former position would be Data... Basically... It would not be the same ship, so it HAD to go.

Rather than destroying it, likely causing massive resistance from the fans, it has likely been decided that the Enterprise has dissapeared.
That way, we won't meet her in-game, but it hasn't been destroyed (as far as we know), and enough time has passed for Starfleet to call her MIA, and commision a new one.

That's what I think.
Closed Thread