Captain
# 1 Iconian End Plan Speculation
04-28-2013, 11:25 AM
So, I was playing a foundry mission, and that got me looking at some old voyager episodes, which got me thinking, if the Iconians tossed around a bunch of omega molecules, isn't that pretty much game over they win?

This assumption is based on how it appears other people can use their gates but no one else can make them.

Also, it assumes their gates don't use subspace, and that wherever they are they have enough infrastructure to do something when no one else can leave the systems they happen to be in.
Captain
# 2
04-28-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure... but I think Slipstream Drives would then take the place of Warp Drives. Not to mention Transwarp. Communications on the other hand would be a problem.

Omega is not something to be taken lightly. It could easily backfire on the Iconians.
In regards to making the gates... its like the Stargates in... well... Stargate. The tech is currently beyond anything the Alpha Quadrant powers are capable of. Maybe in the 29th Century they're coming close, but early 25th? Its still too advanced to recreate without someone pulling the strings. And I believe current standing orders for the galaxy is to destroy Iconian gates to prevent them from falling into the wrong hands, considering the track record of destroyed gates ala Starfleet.

No... the Iconians best bet is make everyone fight each other (which is basically what's happening already in game), then strike when the Alpha Quadrant powers are at their weakest. The only real hitch in the plan I see is the Borg. They're a wild card. The Iconians don't have a hand in their actions, and we have seen how Starfleet and the KDF are willing to set asside their differences to combat a common enemy. Unless the Iconians do something to try and counter that, Technological advantage or not, they will have a serious fight on thier hands.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/144/0/2/sto_sig_character_by_rattler20200-d7jlk1h.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rose
And then I sneezed. And then I exploded.
Rihannsu
# 3
04-28-2013, 12:52 PM
The Borg as a co-belligerant against a common enemy? I just got all tingly in anticipation.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 4
04-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler2 View Post
I'm not sure... but I think Slipstream Drives would then take the place of Warp Drives. Not to mention Transwarp. Communications on the other hand would be a problem.
per what I saw in voyager, it didn't look like transwarp worked either. The borg were just as dead in the water as anyone else once omega explodes in a region.

So no reason to assume slipstream would necessarily work either. Not counting the Voltaire solution.

Quote:
The only real hitch in the plan I see is the Borg. They're a wild card. The Iconians don't have a hand in their actions, and we have seen how Starfleet and the KDF are willing to set asside their differences to combat a common enemy. Unless the Iconians do something to try and counter that, Technological advantage or not, they will have a serious fight on thier hands.
I imagine assimilating one or two iconians would result in a big borg fleet heading off over to wherever they've been hiding. Would be interesting to see.
Career Officer
# 5
04-28-2013, 04:30 PM
Quantum Slipstream drive and Borg Transwarp drive are both variations on the same principle.

Both generate a deflector field in front of the ship which alters the curvature of space and creates a tunnel through subspace. Borg transwarp is generated by a tachyon pulse, where as the quantum slipstream actually alters the quantum structure of the vessel itself.

Both use subspace, so detonation of Omega molecules which destroys subspace would render both as well as conventional warp drive inert.
Thowchum
Legendary Starfleet Captain
Fleet Leader, The Abductors
STO Forum Member since December 2010
Welcome to Star Trek Online, where our motto is 'Peace through Superior Firepower.'
Career Officer
# 6
04-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinruneblade View Post
So, I was playing a foundry mission, and that got me looking at some old voyager episodes, which got me thinking, if the Iconians tossed around a bunch of omega molecules, isn't that pretty much game over they win?

This assumption is based on how it appears other people can use their gates but no one else can make them.

Also, it assumes their gates don't use subspace, and that wherever they are they have enough infrastructure to do something when no one else can leave the systems they happen to be in.
So the Iconians force us to use their transportation network so that they can start manipulating our future technological development making it easier for them to eliminate all sentient space-faring species in 50,000 years?

I just figured out why the Tkon Empire disappeared 600,000 years ago!
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
04-28-2013, 04:47 PM
You exist because we allow it and you shall end because we demand it.

Unify the galaxy and lets go brap up the Iconians.

Anyone want to take bets on where they hiding?

Dark Space?
Another Realm of existence?
Under water somewhere?
Republic Veteran
# 8
04-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
You exist because we allow it and you shall end because we demand it.

Unify the galaxy and lets go brap up the Iconians.

Anyone want to take bets on where they hiding?

Dark Space?
Another Realm of existence?
Under water somewhere?
Earth....their leader is a computer program created by aliens, and use a child like avatar as their voice.

Lt. Commander
# 9
04-28-2013, 05:08 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...isCarterEffect

If the fans decide that the writing team will never resolve its plots, then they will probably stop following the work.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
04-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
Earth....their leader is a computer program created by aliens, and use a child like avatar as their voice.
What would you like to do...

A) Destroy all Cybernetic lifeforms ? (might not even effect the Iconians)
B) Merge everyone into a super borg collective
c) Blow up the Iconians

d) reject the above three options and let the Iconians win.