Lt. Commander
# 1 Multiple monitor setup
09-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Hey all I just have a quick question. Can STO support eyefinity in a way that does not distort the side screens? I have read a few hacks on here but have not really found much of a definitive answer.
Lt. Commander
# 2
09-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Having just built my system with Eyefinity, I'm curious too. I've been looking through the forums, came across your post, and thought I'd ask the same.

My setup with 3 monitors via Eyefinity allows STO to have a resolution that takes up all monitors, however, the outer edges of the left and right monitors appear to distort planets / ships / etc. Being new to Eyefinity, I'm trying to see if this is the expected behavior in STO using the technology.

Any info would be helpful. Or more specifically, are we looking for a Field of View (FOV) setting? Maybe a console command / Config setting?
Lt. Commander
# 3
09-19-2011, 03:01 PM
From the research I have done it is the expected behavior in STO. That being said plenty of games do have options where it does not stretch and keeps it crisp. I know Deus Ex (the new one) does not distort nearly as bad. That being said make sure to up your drivers as it gave me a slightly better resolution when I did.

I tried some hacks I found in here but it did nothing really. I am curios as to how it will play if I treat it like a extended desktop with the primary screen being the far left screen (it being STO). If it will run and not stretch or will it just ignore the others and use one monitor...

Either way I can live with the stretching as it is really awesome would be nice to get rid of though.
Lt. Commander
# 4
09-20-2011, 06:25 AM
I plan to playtest many games this weekend with Eyefinity. My fear is (while I haven't had this happen without Eyefinity) that the point of view distortions on the left and right monitors will cause nausea or headaches. A friend of mine told me he couldn't do eyefinity in games due to this. I suppose it's different with each person though, so I definitely won't know if it affects me without some extended play in the games. I'll post my conclusions after I've gotten some extended play time logged...
Lt. Commander
# 5
09-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Yeah after I plugged it in I was worried about that to but honestly just take your time. Get used to turning your head and spend time looking at the distortion and you should settle in to it and find it is helpful and does not bother you at all.
Lt. Commander
# 6
09-22-2011, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdeck View Post
Yeah after I plugged it in I was worried about that to but honestly just take your time. Get used to turning your head and spend time looking at the distortion and you should settle in to it and find it is helpful and does not bother you at all.
Well, I still will reserve judgement until I test it out this weekend, however in the small amount of time I've been in, I gotta say it's really distracting. I watched a Defiant distort to the size of a toothpick on the left and right monitors yesterday. I think it's going to bother me enough that I'll go back without Eyefinity.... Or maybe there's some setting that I haven't corrected yet? After looking at youtube, I found a video that illustrates exactly what I'm experiencing. Watch the left screen of this video and watch the starbase stretch to completely ludicrous distortions!

Is this what other users are experiencing with games like STO that don't support changing the FOV? Or is there a setting somewhere I'm missing to correct it so it's not that bad in STO?
Lt. Commander
# 7
09-23-2011, 04:23 PM
I do not know if it is STO or what. I will say a fleet of mine is using multiple monitors and they do not distort. He uses a matrox triple header 2 go set up... I am looking into that my self.
Lt. Commander
# 8 Definatly
10-24-2011, 05:47 PM
I also have recently set up a triple-screen eye-finity. While I have gotten used to the distorted (fish eye lens) thing, I've noticed that other programs I use do allow for FOV settings to minimize it. I would definatly be keen to see an option for that in future updates.
Lt. Commander
# 9
10-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey6587 View Post
I also have recently set up a triple-screen eye-finity. While I have gotten used to the distorted (fish eye lens) thing, I've noticed that other programs I use do allow for FOV settings to minimize it. I would definatly be keen to see an option for that in future updates.
what are you playing that will let you correct the FOV?
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I have 2, 1080p monitors. I just want to move all the HUD elements to the other monitor. At least the big map.
Is there a way to do that? I want the main viewscreen still on my primary monitor