Lt. Commander
Now I been away from this game for about oh 8 months now, and I have come back to find a lot of new changes. Yes i am a little lost right now, not so much with locations, just with some of the new content.

Duty officers is the big one, I just got them last night, and I am not sure if I am doing something right?

Mainly when assigning them work to be done, do you need everyone to be active on ship, or is one enough, while you send the others off to do on board and off ship jobs?

Then there is Starfleet Adcademy. Ok a cool place to visit, but not sure what's going on there. Besides picking up Dity Officers, what more is going on here?

I am picking up others things as I go along, love how most older missions got redone, now they make a lot more since.

I am mainly starting all over again, so if anyone has a few pointers, feel free to shoot me a tip or two.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-09-2012, 06:30 AM
You don't have to assign any Duty Officers to ground or ship duties - it's entirely optional. If you do you get some neat (albeit minor) buffs.

Not that much to do at Starfleet Academy yet but there are some events (collecting particles with a cadet) and there's also a Star Trek lore mission where you can sit a test - check the events part of the missions panel for Academy events (they happen every few hours).
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-09-2012, 06:34 AM
Some Duty Officer buffs are rather useful. I like the one that adds shield drain to tractor beams. The one that influences the cooldown on torpedoes is nice, too. The other day, I had it work five times in a row. It was like using the high yield ability.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Cedric View Post
Duty officers is the big one, I just got them last night, and I am not sure if I am doing something right?

Mainly when assigning them work to be done, do you need everyone to be active on ship, or is one enough, while you send the others off to do on board and off ship jobs?
To specifically answer your question, you draw officers for assignment from your reserve roster, not your active roster. But rather than recount everything I know about DOff's, you might want to check out the Duty Officer forum. Here is a link to a great post, with links to other guides including the one from the developer who created it (link).

Quote:
Then there is Starfleet Adcademy. Ok a cool place to visit, but not sure what's going on there. Besides picking up Dity Officers, what more is going on here?
There is a mid-term test in the same area as the duty officers. Also, watch the event calendar (press J, it is the bottom section) for a scanning event on SFA. You can also collect some accolades as well.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Well I have to really sit down on the Duty Officers, that is one thing for sure.

Oh and what witht he ingame timed events, is there a level limit to joining them? I know I got warned off from the Crystal one, when I was headed to memory Alpha. I wasn't going to that event, but it was camped over the star system. lol
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-09-2012, 06:51 AM
I've also got a rundown of the doff system in my sig, but for your specific questions, the active roster is for buffs. And contrary to what was said already, some of the buffs aren't minor, at least not the space ones.

You don't have to have anybody slotted in active duty at all, and with the doffs you get to start with, you're probably better off not doing that. Even keeping your entire starting set available for assignments, you'll find yourself stuck churning a lot of little assignments. And since most of them will be white, there's a chance of them dying on high risk assignments (green and up can't die unless you send them on missions specifically meant to kill them).

Most of the timed events don't have level requirements, but I think the Crystalline Entity does. The Mirror invasion also does, but it's fairly low, I think 6 or 7, like the Borg red alerts.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Oh lovely, I for got about the death part of the assignments. I just have a ton to read up on, before I send more people off on missions. My head is starting to hurt now. lol
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Oh lovely, I for got about the death part of the assignments. I just have a ton to read up on, before I send more people off on missions. My head is starting to hurt now. lol

Only the colorless, common DOffs can die and only on Disaster results. The colored DOffs can be injured and sent to sickbay or locked in the Brig for poor behavior for a couple of days.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Ok that's good to know, but I only have a couple colored ones, so I have a lot at risk. lol Anyway, takes for the help guys, I am sure I will have more puestions later. But are there any more suprises waiting for me after I get past level 10? hehe
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeslyn
Only the colorless, common DOffs can die and only on Disaster results. The colored DOffs can be injured and sent to sickbay or locked in the Brig for poor behavior for a couple of days.
Exception: If you see red text in the assignments description saying the DOff will die, even colored DOffs will die