Lt. Commander
# 31
01-12-2012, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
I have brought that idea up - using things like this as devices - but Captain Geko feels that devices should generally always be for consumables (the Red Matter gets a pass since it fulfills the exact same role as a battery).

If people do not feel a particular console is ever worth a console slot, the solution is to change it to make it competitive with other things you can put in a regular console slot.
See I feel the console works alright at the minute, the question is what do you sacrifice for it? If it needs to stay a console then maybe to enhance the tactical emphasis of the carrier it would be worth giving a small damage buff upon expiration off the phase effect in a similar way to how the cloaking device works already, but perhaps at a lower level?
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
I have brought that idea up - using things like this as devices - but Captain Geko feels that devices should generally always be for consumables (the Red Matter gets a pass since it fulfills the exact same role as a battery).
Isn't the Enhanced Plasma Manifold a console that acts like a battery?
It's just differant from other consoles for the fact that it can be used on any type of ship... Like a battery.
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Wow, I don't envy you this job Heritic
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I think with the drain being lowered it would work as intended if lowered enough. My main gripe though not just with Kar'fi with carrier pets in general (besides the work around for using the commands) is the large enemey either ship or object them not fireing at it, bops not working at all, as well as it appears these pets are fireing either at severly nerfed dps output or either someone forgot to give them any weapons power since the torpedos they fire in comparison are like 3,000 something damage from torpedo and 11-31 damage per energy weapon attack. Trying to explain it nicely but I kinda got to where bird of preys and carriers were my favorite ships to switch between and now im sort of limited to just the bop.

An edit for the talk of the station for it being a tactical ship I had a side note idea/suggestion on that. Possibly what could be done is something similar to the universal stations. As in it has a commander science and a lt commander tactical if there was a function to switch those kind of like how universals work but not where they could be used to put engineering so it wouldn't be a vo'quv but could be managed to where you could make it either top heavy tact or the current top heavy science that might achieve the result you were aiming at.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Quote:

If people do not feel a particular console is ever worth a console slot, the solution is to change it to make it competitive with other things you can put in a regular console slot.
prob is that i dont sweat removing the console, simply because its a good idea, just it doesnt work for what you intend.

let me explain, I been flying the karfi, with a build set for PvE, that I really dont have a need for the console on normal, advance, or elite. Simply due to the Kar'fi serious lack of healing abilities. Yes its tactical, but its gimped so heavily tactical that in truth makes it a strength and a weakness.
  • Its Strength is heavy tac nature you can up its DPS a great amount, along with suplimenting many target subsystems and Attack patterns.
  • Its Weakness is that with only a LT ENG (2 slots), and Commander SCI / Ensign SCI (5 slots) it really gimps it as you have to go very defensive with these skills to even get it on a semi footing to survive.
I found a good balance with it treating it more like a Tactical cruiser then thinking of it as a carrier at all. Looking at the ship in this form, I have set it up to be a big Cruiser that can launch Skul fighters, and I do not treat it in the slightest as any type of carrier style.

Now, with my current setup I place the console back into the mix. On STF on normal I never use it simply because as I play the carrier, its heavy tac powers tears through most borg vessels and really makes up for lack of healing abilities. But, this hurts some too, simply because I sacrafice all the ENG slots and most of the SCI slots to self defense, i loose out on the other abilities you could use. Now mind you, the way I run the Kar'fi isnt like what Kila or others do it, its a great ship, but hte console may shine better in the PVP arena then it does in the PvE side, simply because of my setup.

In PvP you will find more instances of the "oh Crap!" button pushes as you are fighting others and their unique builds. Problem is the mystique that this ship has in its evident balance of BO slots, makes it unattractive for this crowd simply because there are other ships more suited to that role that outshine the Kar'fi in the PVP arena. (note there are exceptions to the rule, this is a general comment from others I have spoken with who PVP heavily where I do not pvp much anymore other then to just to test builds out)
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Quote:

Well there is the Subspace Field Modulator from the Devidian arc.
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
Well there is the Subspace Field Modulator from the Devidian arc.
which i use on my Kar-Fi, BTW.
Loosing 1 sci console isn't THAT big of a deal. Everyone i know puts the borg console in 1 of the sci slots. the gain from the Phase shift console isn't worth the lose of a second console. I would use the ability if it didn't take a console slot. Can't you just make it an inherent ability of the ship? or better yet, make it a device only for the Kar fi. Although, TBH, i don't even know if as a device would be worth using. I'd have to think hard about that. I use my batteries every battle.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-13-2012, 07:04 AM
The only purpose imo of a console ability is if it can be put into another class ship than what it came with other wise all its really doing is wasting a spot. So if other ships could use that console then I can see a purpose of it taking up space but being that its really only meant for the Kar'fi being what it is and its intent I don't believe it should be a console based on that.
Lt. Commander
# 39
01-16-2012, 07:49 AM
Make that ensign science a universal or an eng slot and the ship is golden.

RIght now, in an elite STF, you cannot survive.

And yes, the console isn't usefull. 3 second "battle cloak"?
Lt. Commander
# 40
01-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
Just wondering: Is there a had counter to the Kar'fi phase shift?
Shoot a torpedo before he shifts. For some reason they hit straight through his shields. I've lost count how many times I'm suddenly at 50% hull and full shields when phase shifting.