Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
I haven't played the game in months...I came back to check out the changes and the first thing I had to do was respec my character. While this isn't usually a big deal for me, it is something of a challenge now because the metrics changed a bit as did how they impact game play. Prior to my vacation from the game, I had zero issues in PvE (as most people experience) and I could "survive" in PvP. In addition to the respect, I can't help but notice that the stats are different for weapons and consoles.

Now that I had to respec, PvE is unchanged for me but PvP is back to square one. I find even surviving PvP is an issue.

I'm not going to bring up my personal opinion on the "equality" or lack thereof in klingon ships or tech vs Federation ships and tech...I'd just like to hear from people (both Federation and Klingon players alike) that have experience with these new changes and can offer some pointers in the way of character and ship setup.

My goal is to setup a Defiant and a Sovereign ship capable of performing well in PvP. My main character is a level 50 Engineer. I am going to respec the toon yet again, this time armed with tips from you guys. ideally, I'd like both ships to tank as much as each class will allow while still delivering enough damage to be an irritant to any Klingon ships there!

I can recall from before these changes, it was really very satisfying, almost as much as blowing the enemy away, to stay there, taking all the enemy fire from 2 or 3 of them and not going anywhere.

So, the only fixed variables are the toon, the ship classes and the limits of the game.

Any suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
A lot has changed.

Way too much to even go through in one thread.

If you have specific questions, more than happy to answer them to my best ability.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaishin
A lot has changed.

Way too much to even go through in one thread.

If you have specific questions, more than happy to answer them to my best ability.
Thanks for the reply...

I've been reading some threads, it seems the old old old Excelsior class is still a better ship in this game
vs the Sovereign class. So with that understanding, I'd like a setup that can let me build a nice Excelsior
as a tank with teeth.

I ran this through the skill trainer someone created...any thoughts?

Skills
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-10-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/

This will help you navigate the new skill system much easier.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-10-2012, 04:47 PM
And http://www.stowki.org will list all the season changes that occured while you were gone...
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakaishin
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/

This will help you navigate the new skill system much easier.
This site is where I created the screen shot I linked to in an earlier post in this thread.

That site doesn't really do much, unless I am missing how it works...i was hoping to see
how changes here and there might affect the ships/characters overall combat readiness.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-11-2012, 03:23 PM
I apologize, was at work and didn't see the link (hence the parsed reply).

"Generally", things are the same. Still the same weapon types with the exception of the new (though lacking) quad cannon.

There are a number of new skills available however... Antimatter Spread, being one example of several. To be effective, I'd brush up on all the new consoles that are out.

I'd also brush up on the equipment changes... Tactical Consoles for example, were changed pretty heavily.

Some Engineer and Science consoles swapped places.

The new skill system allows ships to operate differently... for example, my Galaxy-X has a full point more turn rate than it did before.

There are a number of new pieces of equipment... they are currently still irrelevant to the Borg set, however they are being modified by the development team (including changes to the Borg set) so things are still subject to change.

That's about all I can think of as far as "notable" changes (currently). I'm sure others will fill my missed gaps.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm so confused too!!!!!!

I can figure out the what does what stuff but it real confusing spendin my 300K points without having actually played with the new systems... I ran out of points before I even got to Admiral level skills...

I just dont know HOW to spend the points.... does this need 3 ? 6? 9?

I am a tactical cruiser captain so from past expeirence it would be nice to train say some of the skills that improve turn rate. But what I have no concept of is is say 3 sufficent or would you not see any real improvement unless you bump it up to 6.

Also in the past you could get more bang for training a higher level skill and skimming over a similar lower level one or vice versa.

We were helped orginally because you couldnt level without training so you had to spend X points on Lt and Y points on commander.

Hard to find good info since most guides are either pretty remedial or hopelessly out of date.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenchuan View Post
I'm so confused too!!!!!!

I can figure out the what does what stuff but it real confusing spendin my 300K points without having actually played with the new systems... I ran out of points before I even got to Admiral level skills...

I just dont know HOW to spend the points.... does this need 3 ? 6? 9?

I am a tactical cruiser captain so from past expeirence it would be nice to train say some of the skills that improve turn rate. But what I have no concept of is is say 3 sufficent or would you not see any real improvement unless you bump it up to 6.

Also in the past you could get more bang for training a higher level skill and skimming over a similar lower level one or vice versa.

We were helped orginally because you couldnt level without training so you had to spend X points on Lt and Y points on commander.

Hard to find good info since most guides are either pretty remedial or hopelessly out of date.
I'm in the same boat....
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Read, Experiment, Try.

The pattern I'm seeing is everyone wanting a cookie cutter build handed to them. It is -not- that complicated a system. READ.