Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
I'd just like to remind the community that we represent this community, the posters on this forum, the long time STO players, our reactions and our behavior will be what the new F2P judge this community by. There are going to be a lot of newbie posts in ESD Zone, and Sector Space Zone, and other Zone's throughout the game. We are going to hear a lot of repetitive questions, questions that to us are easy. You know the kind of questions coming, you know what Zone is going to be like.

It is up to us, it is our responsibility to represent this game in a professional manor. Our actions can make people leave the game, or make them stay, all based on how we react to the new F2P gamers. I've made the decision that I am going to be extremely helpful to the F2P'ers. I will sit in ESD Zone, as I usually do sometimes, and just answer questions and help people along. I will ask if people need help with missions and team up with new players to help them through missions. I will help guide them in ship builds, and I will overall try to make STO a positive experience for them.

We must keep in mind that a lot of the F2P'ers may not know much about Star Trek. They may also not be very familiar with MMO's in general. This can sometimes be intimidating for people, which in turn makes them angry. Its up to us to not react in kind, and to lend a hand and help where needed.

I want the F2P'ers out there to say that the STO Community is the BEST and most helpful MMO community out there. I want them to say: "Wow, this is much better than WoW, or TOR, or (insert any other MMO)"

I want them to have a positive experience, and to stay. I don't want to drive new people away. Ranting, doom and gloom, these types of things can make people leave or discourage them from the game.

I'd just like to urge everyone to be patient on January 17th and onward. We were all newbies once. If we create a helpful and positive environment, this game will have a bright future ahead of it. Word of mouth goes a long way, I want STO's word of mouth to be good, a community that helps, a community that is compassionate, a community that pulls together and creates an awesome gameplay experience!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I look forward to helping. I find ESD to be pretty helpful overall.

These forums, however, well, the tenor here is "If the devs won't do what I want them to do I'll BLOW IT ALL UP!!!"
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks, The-Doctor, for posting this, and I appreciate everyone's help in welcoming our new Captains that will be joining our community.

There is no denying that there are some things that players are unhappy with at this time, but I ask everyone to have continued patience as the team works hard to make STO the game we all want it to be -- they are listening to feedback, and your ideas and suggestions are not going unnoticed. I have seen some of the things that are coming up, and let me tell you, as someone who has played this game since Closed Beta, I have never been more excited -- the next Featured Episode series is going to "blow your mind".

Also, as you have seen, I have been holding weekly events, in-game and on the forums, that get our community together. For the free-to-play launch next Tuesday, there is something extra-awesome planned that I will let you all know about on Friday.

In the meantime, jump in-game, have fun, and boldly go.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-10-2012, 05:02 PM
I agree we should be helpful and patient with new players. However in no way should we mask our feelings about the game or specific development decisions simply because we dont want people reading the forums to get a "bad impression". Of course, we should all try to keep our feedback constructive. We simply shouldnt try to hide our negative feelings about certain aspects of the game from new or potential players either.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Well said Doctor. I imagine a large number of these people are going to be friends of existing players who were not as mad about sar trek as we are but still keen sci-fi buffs. Many more will be Trek fans who no little or nothing about MMOs... lets be gentle with them!

I am wondering, is there a plan to have a 'newbie' channel the F2Pers are shoven in by default.

Eve-Online has an excellent model for this with a staff of community reps who volunteer to staff this channel and give advice.

I am sure I stand among many people who would be willing to give a few hours towards this kind of channel.

(side note: John Pertwee was the best).
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-10-2012, 05:08 PM
I think the game community in general is pretty nice just realize we are going to get a fair share of F2P players saying how our game is full of fail or will die because it sucks. Just don't expect us to play nice with those folks.

And pretty much every complaint we've heard is going to be echoed by the F2P players. Lack of in game speech, Cstore prices, little end game, lack of KDF missions, dilithium prices, grindy STFs. I don't see why the existing players wouldn't tell new players that we've been dealing with all those issues for close to 2 years.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-10-2012, 05:09 PM
I also LOVE this game and the things that the Cryptic team have come up with. I have found that the people in the forums always come up with great ideas and suggestions that would greatly enhance what we already have. They are creative, great problem solvers and more times than not can come up with a well thought out fix to any problem. My biggest hope is that when people voice their ideas and opinions that they word them in a constructive manner and there is good positive discussion about each topic. Donít take it personally if your idea is not implemented because there are others that have been.

I look forward to the f2p launch and I am sure that the influx of new/old players into the game will bring a new freshness and wealth to our forum community.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I agree we should be helpful and patient with new players. However in no way should we mask our feelings about the game or specific development decisions simply because we dont want people reading the forums to get a "bad impression". Of course, we should all try to keep our feedback constructive. We simply shouldnt try to hide our negative feelings about certain aspects of the game from new or potential players either.
They can't be expecting people who are disapointed in the direction of the game to lie to new players.
That cant be.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the post Brandon, I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I in know way want to mask anyone's feelings about the game, or opinions. I just hope for people to be tactful about it. I've seen some of the angry, spiteful things said in Zone chats. That doesn't accomplish anything, the best way is through the forum, in a well thought out thread.

I'm more so speaking about zone chats, you know there are going to be lots of repetive newbie questions. Questions like "Can I sell a ship?" "How do I get a ship?" "Where is the Admirals office?" "Where's Sulu?" :p Stuff like that, there is going to be a lot of questions that to us are like duh. But to the new people, its important. How we respond to them will determine if they stay. If we are mean, if we direct them down the wrong path, if we make fun of them, it can drive people away. I'm hoping our community will be one that is helpful, and that people will speak about how awesome the STO community really is.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
Thanks for the post Brandon, I appreciate that.

I in know way want to mask anyone's feelings about the game, or opinions. I just hope for people to be tactful about it. I've seen some of the angry, spiteful things said in Zone chats. That doesn't accomplish anything, the best way is through the forum, in a well thought out thread.

I'm more so speaking about zone chats, you know there are going to be lots of repetive newbie questions. Questions like "Can I sell a ship?" "How do I get a ship?" "Where is the Admirals office?" "Where's Sulu?" :p Stuff like that, there is going to be a lot of questions that to us are like duh. But to the new people, its important. How we respond to them will determine if they stay. If we are mean, if we direct them down the wrong path, if we make fun of them, it can drive people away. I'm hoping our community will be one that is helpful, and that people will speak about how awesome the STO community really is.
I agree. Really, "being polite to new players" and "how we feel about the game" are 2 completely different subjects. Your OP was only about the former, although Brandon seemed to bring up the latter in his post even though thats not what this thread was about. My post was mainly responding to that.