Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
Thanks for the post Brandon, I appreciate that.

I in know way want to mask anyone's feelings about the game, or opinions. I just hope for people to be tactful about it. I've seen some of the angry, spiteful things said in Zone chats. That doesn't accomplish anything, the best way is through the forum, in a well thought out thread.

I'm more so speaking about zone chats, you know there are going to be lots of repetive newbie questions. Questions like "Can I sell a ship?" "How do I get a ship?" "Where is the Admirals office?" "Where's Sulu?" :p Stuff like that, there is going to be a lot of questions that to us are like duh. But to the new people, its important. How we respond to them will determine if they stay. If we are mean, if we direct them down the wrong path, if we make fun of them, it can drive people away. I'm hoping our community will be one that is helpful, and that people will speak about how awesome the STO community really is.
You can't mind control people. No matter how respectful or polite you expect people to be, they aren't going to change just because you want them to on the forums. Remember, only a small percentage of STO players actually posts stuff on the forums, so while your effort might be admirable, it may also be in vain.

That being said, I'll try to keep what you've said in mind and be as polite as possible. I, too, want the STO community to be as helpful as possible, though that hasn't always been the case for me. In my experience, people have been either incredibly antisocial or rude or both. In other words, the polite and helpful player is the exception. Hopefully, that will change in 2012.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Quote:
I'm more so speaking about zone chats, you know there are going to be lots of repetive newbie questions. Questions like "Can I sell a ship?" "How do I get a ship?" "Where is the Admirals office?" "Where's Sulu?" :p Stuff like that, there is going to be a lot of questions that to us are like duh. But to the new people, its important. How we respond to them will determine if they stay. If we are mean, if we direct them down the wrong path, if we make fun of them, it can drive people away. I'm hoping our community will be one that is helpful, and that people will speak about how awesome the STO community really is.
I just want to add that we got a new member in our fleet that has wanted to join for 8 months now and since it has gone f2p he is here and really excited about the game. We have been helping him, answering all of the questions and giving him gear and just to hear his enthusiasm and to see the game for the first time again (through his eyes) is enough to get me excited to do all the missions over again and to see what he sees. It is like Christmas through teh eyes of a child almoast. I mean I was there the first time he beamed onto the TOS bridge... Should I say more.

I can see that there will be a lot of this and we sould sit back, help out and enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I agree we should be helpful and patient with new players. However in no way should we mask our feelings about the game or specific development decisions simply because we dont want people reading the forums to get a "bad impression". Of course, we should all try to keep our feedback constructive. We simply shouldnt try to hide our negative feelings about certain aspects of the game from new or potential players either.
Yes I agree, I say donít mask your feelings let your feelings flow! But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they..

ALSO thank you Brandon for your teasers! I like geting inspired by those as well
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the post Brandon, I appreciate that.

I in know way want to mask anyone's feelings about the game, or opinions. I just hope for people to be tactful about it. I've seen some of the angry, spiteful things said in Zone chats. That doesn't accomplish anything, the best way is through the forum, in a well thought out thread.

Agreed, I've never been rude and/or negative in chat. People are in the game to play, not to hear someones rant about this or that. I wouldn't want my gameplay soured either. I try to keep my forum posts to the point and constructive (sometimes I fail), and I will try harder to choose my words carefully as we expand our playerbase. This time is probably the MOST important time to continue with feedback, both negative AND positive, to stand up and be counted so Cryptic can get an accurate reading of what is being received well and what needs work.

Regardless of how I feel about a specific aspect of STO, I'm always operating out of a real love and passion for this game and I hope it's the beginning of a great year for Cryptic, STO, and our community.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-10-2012, 05:29 PM
I made this same argument here. I hope that people are helpful to the newcomers.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Thanks, The-Doctor, for posting this, and I appreciate everyone's help in welcoming our new Captains that will be joining our community.

There is no denying that there are some things that players are unhappy with at this time, but I ask everyone to have continued patience as the team works hard to make STO the game we all want it to be -- they are listening to feedback, and your ideas and suggestions are not going unnoticed. I have seen some of the things that are coming up, and let me tell you, as someone who has played this game since Closed Beta, I have never been more excited -- the next Featured Episode series is going to "blow your mind".

Also, as you have seen, I have been holding weekly events, in-game and on the forums, that get our community together. For the free-to-play launch next Tuesday, there is something extra-awesome planned that I will let you all know about on Friday.

In the meantime, jump in-game, have fun, and boldly go.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Hi Brandon,

Thanks for chiming in, it's good to hear you say that the team is keeping level heads and open minds (that is conjecture based on the tone you are presenting to us here -- I hope it's reasonably accurate) amid this firestorm of reactions to different recent turns of events.

I guess I should thank The Doctor as well, since you are here responding to his post.

I'm sure you know that I do think the devs have been responding well recently in general and I have tried to be supportive of them when they do. I don't envy your job today of filtering through the high volume of new material on the board (in response to STOked 109 in particular). It's always nice just to know that someone is there trying to get the most useful player feedback delivered to the most useful doorsteps.

I don't expect that you will respond directly to this question/comment, but you bring to mind a point I want to be sure to clarify. I hope that the devs understand the and can separate the displeasure I have been expressing about the type of game events and features that Mr. D'Angelo describes as a 'wide variety of content' (which is frustrating because of what it seems to indicate about his feelings toward more substantive 'episodic' content.) and the way that you have been working to bring the community together with 'informal' community events.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I want to make sure that the team understands that what Mr. D'Angelo described recently as "something new every week" by his count, which seems to indicate an aspect of the games current course/direction that I am not happy with -- those things are very different and have nothing to do with the 'weekly' or semi regular 'grass roots' events that you have been organizing which I am very strongly in favor of.

I just wanted you to know, or be able to pass on, that I for one feel very differently about these two different types of 'weekly events'.

The official ones, I see as taking resources away from other types of content that I would prefer to have delivery priority, and the 'un-official' ones you are doing I see as a very cool way for the Community Rep to help keep spirits up and bring the community together.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I agree we should be helpful and patient with new players. However in no way should we mask our feelings about the game or specific development decisions simply because we dont want people reading the forums to get a "bad impression". Of course, we should all try to keep our feedback constructive. We simply shouldnt try to hide our negative feelings about certain aspects of the game from new or potential players either.
I agree with the Nagus ( and not because he paid me to do so). If Cryptic was so concerned about us voicing our low opinion about the current state of the game to newcomers, perhaps they should have everything fixed, or at least in a better situation that does not have so much hostility coming from the community before starting up f2p. That would have been the more profitable (wink, Nagus) decision because then Cryptic would have a much happier community welcoming the newcomers and they would not have concerns over what we will be telling said newcomers.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-10-2012, 07:14 PM
A positive thread in a sea of dark doom and gloom. I really needed to see a thread like this one right now!

A very encouraging read. Thank you. You are right, and I will endeavour to do the same.

Thanks also to Brandon, your events are a fantastic way to bring the community together and I look forward to hearing about what is being planned for next week.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWE_BranFlakes
Thanks, The-Doctor, for posting this, and I appreciate everyone's help in welcoming our new Captains that will be joining our community.

There is no denying that there are some things that players are unhappy with at this time, but I ask everyone to have continued patience as the team works hard to make STO the game we all want it to be -- they are listening to feedback, and your ideas and suggestions are not going unnoticed. I have seen some of the things that are coming up, and let me tell you, as someone who has played this game since Closed Beta, I have never been more excited -- the next Featured Episode series is going to "blow your mind".

Also, as you have seen, I have been holding weekly events, in-game and on the forums, that get our community together. For the free-to-play launch next Tuesday, there is something extra-awesome planned that I will let you all know about on Friday.

In the meantime, jump in-game, have fun, and boldly go.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
I know you a knew and I feel sorry for the position you are in because get the short end of the stick. People are getting tired of empty promises and a line of bull. Making leveling faster was just a stupid idea.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-10-2012, 07:40 PM
As a rule both of Cryptic's games (STO and CO) tend to have fairly accepting and helpful communities. Like any there are some who are rude, or troublemakers, but by and large they seem to be the minority. And really even the "rabble-rousers" tend to be better behaved than the rabble-rousers of other games. By and large (and regardless of any flack the games might currently be getting) Cryptic actually has some of the better online communities you'll find, and among the best for MMOs (where the communities are often more poisonous than drain cleaner).

So yeah, I wouldn't generally worry about the disposition of the community driving new players off. If I were to worry about something it wouldn't be how the message might be conveyed to them, but instead what the message itself will be.

And on that note, Cryptic still has five days to try and alter the message sent. Honestly I'm surprised they haven't tried to yet, but I haven't seen anything from the team that seems to be targeted at changing the perceptions of the community, and the end of STOked seems a clear sign of that if attempts have been made they've gone unnoticed. I'm actually a little shocked by this, and will be dumbfounded if they entirely waste such an obvious opportunity.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-10-2012, 08:11 PM
"The War is ON"

I joke the war is a lie (sad face)