Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
01-10-2012, 08:15 PM
me? A representative you say?
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-10-2012, 08:53 PM
New players will find their own way. And in all reality this game is being ushered into this new era for them and not really for all the old players who already completed the content ages ago. The new captains will be A-OK with or without the cagey vets.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
it is our responsibility to represent this game in a professional manor.
i'll agree with the OP, but that one line?

mmmmh NOPE, i am not getting payed by Cryptic to play this game, i am NOT a professional, so why should i behave like it?

i have absolutely NULL responsibility for anything,

i'm a gamer i play a game, thats it.

sure i will try to be helpful rather than pulling aggro from F2Pers...

i can also be patient with noobs in STF's, allways, they just need to communicate in the team chat,
that is the least i expect.
And i expect STF's to get a lot worse with F2P and Elite will go from nearly impossible to absolutely impossible.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Well, I've got 6 of my friends who are going to join on the 17th. I'm enlisting them in my fleet, helping them gear up, & going to start 2 new alts to level up with them. I'm hoping a lot of other players will do the same.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-10-2012, 10:42 PM
I have always tried to help where and when I can. Not sure I will take it to the degree you are going to Doc but we have ALL been Newbs at one point and if you do not ask questions and read up on the game you will end up a Noob some day instead of actually knowing what is going on. That is to say: I support seekers of knowledge very much over those who just pretend they know it all while knowing nothing.

I would however say that you should be honest. Do not sugar and spice everything when it is not that pretty. Let them take the game as it is and decide how they feel about it.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-10-2012, 10:54 PM
I really can't wait to welcome our F2P friends. I've geared up my Klingon for the occasion.

Six days until launch, another week'ish for VA...... We'll have plenty of heart on their sleeves, make klingons pay for their haneous crimes, whiney, 'hey, the federation is supposed to win, just like on TV.', complaining about OP klinks, feddie players in just under two weeks. Oh yeah, I plan to 'welcome' them with open pointies in my Guramba.

The same thing happened in Battlestar Galactica Online. Well, it was F2P from the beginning, but the Colonials were much more emotion driven while the Cylon players had a much better grasp of game mechanics. Ultimately it led to drama and P2W. The same thing will happen here with Feds and Klinks.

If folks come and talk decent and want to learn, I'll help them, but they had best leave their bleeding hearts at the login screen.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Indeed, we must warn them about the trap they are taking their starships into.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-11-2012, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I agree we should be helpful and patient with new players. However in no way should we mask our feelings about the game or specific development decisions simply because we dont want people reading the forums to get a "bad impression". Of course, we should all try to keep our feedback constructive. We simply shouldnt try to hide our negative feelings about certain aspects of the game from new or potential players either.
Agreed.
I will follow this stance.

I absolutely want to help any (reasonably civil) new player in any way I can, but I deem part of that process to be a continued campaign to better the game via my feedback (positive or negative) and distribute information about Cryptic's handling of things to new players that may otherwise be... glossed over.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-11-2012, 07:44 AM
I think the general rule is Wheaton's rule: "Don't be a d*ck"

If someone asks a question, give him a good answer.
Don't lie and spread misinformation. Be constructive.
But if someone asks for an opinion, he can expect to get the one I have.
I am always happy to help people with advice and tips. But I will also not hide my disappointment on aspects of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I think the general rule is Wheaton's rule: "Don't be a d*ck"

If someone asks a question, give him a good answer.
Don't lie and spread misinformation. Be constructive.
But if someone asks for an opinion, he can expect to get the one I have.
I am always happy to help people with advice and tips. But I will also not hide my disappointment on aspects of the game.
Aux2Bat for the win.
Spread the word.