Lt. Commander
# 11
01-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
Not just the bonuses, but the individual pieces themselves. The armor and shields, without the bonuses, should be better or at least as good overall as anything that you can buy or craft with an additional anti-Borg bonus. Otherwise, there is really no point in playing STF's except to get the gear to play the elite STFs in order to get the accolades and the costume which deincentivizes all those players who might want the armor or the shields just to have the best.

The set bonuses should just be the icing.
They should be the best as a whole. I hated losing some of the individual pieces on ground with the newer, lesser stats on this gear, but I kept it because as a Tac, I really liked having a regular shield heal on the MACO set. With that being nerfed too, I'm like "What's the point in me grinding for the MarkXI, let alone Mark XII." I liked the other gear I mixed together better.

With the recent changes on the space sets, the whole design goal just seem to be mediocracy for mediocracy's sake. And if I"m supposed to grind this much for these, then just forget it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superherofan1701 View Post
If the bonuses aren't worth it, then there's no point in grinding for these sets.
Dude, its Extra. There's no other way at all to get that. And its not just a Shield Charge. It also grants a hefty Shield DR bonus for 30s. That's pretty darn powerful (I'm sure they didn't want a constant uptime Shield DR on anybody). Same goes for HG and OF; they're more than the rough analogue.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorticusCryptic
WEAPON
* Added a scaling proc to all 3 marks: Mk X, XI and XII have a 5%, 10% and 15% chance to proc a 2sec, 3sec and 4sec Immobilize effect, respectively.
* ADAPTATION issue is still under critical review. This weapon is far less desirable due to the Borgs' ability to adapt more quickly to it than either of the other set weapons. We are pursuing a long-term fix for this.
How about this for the Omega weapon.

Change the weapon to Tetryon (since an antiproton weapon criting with a high firing rate, yet low individual damage isn't much use).

Lower the primary damage immensely, but dramatically *increase* it's firing rate. Say about 12 shots in a second for what would be the firing rate of a primary pulsewave, each shot doing 11 damage. The Borg of course will adapt virtually instantly, but it won't matter since each shot will cause 15 kinetic damage.

That'd mean a Borg target will get (and will always get) 165 damage as a dead cert, as well as increasing the chance of a tetryon proc on it's shields.

Just adjust the firing rate and recharge time as balance demands (or make it a secondary attack).
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Quote:
MACO:

ARMOR
* Reduced Physical/Kinetic resists (from 100 to 38)
This armor was an adaptation of Polyalloy Armor. It had its strengths and weaknesses in combat.

Now its strength has been taken away but we still have to deal with its weaknesses.

As a Tactical Officer my biggest problem in the STFs is survivability. Overall these changes seem like they will make me less durable while I'm wearing the MACO set.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body_Surfer
This armor was an adaptation of Polyalloy Armor. It had its strengths and weaknesses in combat.

Now its strength has been taken away but we still have to deal with its weaknesses.

As a Tactical Officer my biggest problem in the STFs is survivability. Overall these changes seem like they will make me less durable while I'm wearing the MACO set.
I agree, if we are to reduce the physical/kinetic resistance, we should at least increase the energy resistance to compensate, some sort of amalgam between Energy Dampening Armor and Polyalloy Weave Armor, something that doesn't exist anywhere else in the game!
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Quote:
The feedback we were able to gather on the recent round of rebalancing and fixes being made to the Space Sets has proven to be an invaluable asset in continuing to examine the overall balance of the game's mechanics, and the types of rewards we offer to high end players. I really can't thank you all enough for offering your opinions and analysis of the changes that recently went to Tribble.
You're welcome. Now please do the same for prototype tech drop rates.

Quote:
KLINGON HONOR GUARD:
[..]

2-PIECE
* Increased magnitude of HP heal and changed to apply over 8 ticks for 4 seconds (.5sec apart)
* Increased recharge timer to 45 seconds
So, an elite drone hits me with it's AoE of doom, almost killing me. I pop the infinite hypo, heal up for a few points, eat the next shot and die anyway because I wasn't properly healed up yet since the effect is now over time.

Sounds like a huge nerf to me, especially with the increase of the cooldown.
If you want to make these sets better, why are you nerfing the most useful aspects of them?? Doesn't make any kind of sense to me, really.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-11-2012, 12:42 AM
I just wanted to explicate a little on what I think the STF sets should be.

Cryptic publicly stated that the best gear in the game would not be purchasable for dilithium but rather available through STFs. I think to honor that statement you have to look at the base statistics of the gear available for dilithium and ensure that before any special bonuses or set bonuses, all the STF gear is, by itself, equal to that best gear. If you do not do that, then STF gear is likely to be the best gear for fighting the Borg rather than the best gear in the game.

If you, for instance, look at the MACO battle rifle it does 102 DPS with 163 damage on the secondary fire mode. The best purple sniper rifle does 89 DPS with 169 damage on the secondary fire.

So, the base stats on the MACO battle rifle are better than the best Sniper rifle (except for the secondary fire which should be bumped up a tiny bit). In order to justify the statement that this is the best gear in the game, this is what the base damage should be and it should have the equivalent of at least two modifiers plus the set powers plus something useful against the Borg.

Now, for instance, look at the Pollyalloy Weave Armor Mk XI [HPP] [RegHP][RegSH]. It is identical to the MACO armor in every way except the MACO armor has Plasma Armor resistance and the PolyAllowy has the Adrenal Stimulator.

Now, in my mind, the plasma resistance is a Borg bonus and you could just as easily change it to resistance against Borg weapons to balance it. This armor should just be better than it is. At the very least, it should have one or two more bonuses, like the Adrenal Stimulator or increased base stats. Considering how much time is invested in getting the MACO armor, it needs to be better than the dilithium gear (since the Plasma resistance is an anti-Borg modifier this armor is sub-par) and it needs to have a bonus against the Borg.

Now you are saying you want to nerf it even more. If anything, you should be making it slightly stronger for regular use (not counting the Borg bonuses) so that it justifies the statement Cryptic made that this will be the best armor in the game. I am not saying it needs a huge boost (you do not want to make it so good that it is impossible for those without the STF gear to win in PvP), but at a bare minimum it should be AS good by itself as the best armor for non-STF use. As it stands, it is not.

If you are going to nerf something, then nerf the set bonuses. If someone has to do 40 STFs to buy a shield or armor or a rifle then it should not only give the best bonus against the Borg, but it should be the best all-around shield, armor, or rifle in the game by itself. At the very least, it should be as good as the best, but the MACO shield and the MACO armor are not even that.
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-11-2012, 01:41 AM
As I see it, both Omega and Honor Guard armor were never that good from the beginning, MACO was ok as a Polyalloy replacement and now it gets nerfed. What I expect from an armor is reliable protection and a set bonus with a trigger/cooldown can't really provide that. Most of the time we have to deal with energy damage from Borg, that's right, but whats for example with Armek, Elite Drones, Heavy Drones? Do you really expect people going melee with almost no physical resistance? As it stands, a standard Polyalloy Weave Armor is far better than this "high end" gear.

Haven't tried the Honor Guard weapon, but both MACO and Omega guns. First I thought Omega is the most useless of them, but then I realized it is even better than MACO if you can get close. At the moment I can get close and stay long enough in a fight (sci/medic kit) to kill most groups with 2 quick bursts thanks to the distortion field, but it is close. I would never try that with a tac or eng without heals. Whoever came up with the idea of an Autocarbine against Borg and rapid fire weapons in general needs a bucket of cold water.

The personal shields are ok, but still not as good as standard hardware like [Cap]x2 [Reg] or [Reg]x3.

As it stands now, the 2 and 3-piece set boni barely manage to compensate for all the drawbacks and while the Integral Remodulator is a nice feature I don't do worse with a standard one. Increasing the cooldowns, nerfing the only useful armor and generaly putting the stats we have now on the MK XII items (which thanks to the stupid drop rates only a few lucky will ever get), will probably make me go back to standard equipment. Thus will make this "high end" endgame gear even more only visuals.

To make these sets better than all the stuff available with dilithium they at least have to have the standard stats plus additional set boni. For armor that's energy dampening and polyalloy weave for weapons that's sniper rifles and pulsewaves. And please don't try to make the new stuff look better by nerfing the standard equipment like you did with the space sets (Borg and Aegis).
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-11-2012, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superherofan1701 View Post
They should be the best as a whole. I hated losing some of the individual pieces on ground with the newer, lesser stats on this gear, but I kept it because as a Tac, I really liked having a regular shield heal on the MACO set. With that being nerfed too, I'm like "What's the point in me grinding for the MarkXI, let alone Mark XII." I liked the other gear I mixed together better.

With the recent changes on the space sets, the whole design goal just seem to be mediocracy for mediocracy's sake. And if I"m supposed to grind this much for these, then just forget it.
Quoted for truth

I'm in total agreement that these sets should have the best stats in the game. We've put in a lot of effort to obtain them, It devalues our time and effort if the stats on these sets are not superior to the other more easily obtainable items, ( if there is such a thing as "easily obtainable" with the dilithium contribution anymore).

It's not like these sets are unobtainable to anyone who isn't willing to put in the time or effort.

That's one of the the troubles with this game that gets to me the most. There should be "epic gear".

More people will try STFs, learn to work together, join teams/fleets, you know MMO stuff......

If these sets are so meh that they are not worth it, MORE people are going to wander about "lone wolf", complaining about having nothing to do.

J man, I know you'll do us proud !
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-11-2012, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCallUp
I agree, if we are to reduce the physical/kinetic resistance, we should at least increase the energy resistance to compensate, some sort of amalgam between Energy Dampening Armor and Polyalloy Weave Armor, something that doesn't exist anywhere else in the game!
This already happened. 5% resistance to all energy types is more expensive than 7.5% resistance just to plasma, and makes them better overall, not underpowered against anything but the borg. It's also a unique combination of abilities only available through the STF and it has the set bonus.

The reduction to kinetic defense was probably based on whatever internal mechanism they use to measure how valuable different damage resistance types are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
Cryptic publicly stated that the best gear in the game would not be purchasable for dilithium but rather available through STFs. I think to honor that statement you have to look at the base statistics of the gear available for dilithium and ensure that before any special bonuses or set bonuses, all the STF gear is, by itself, equal to that best gear. If you do not do that, then STF gear is likely to be the best gear for fighting the Borg rather than the best gear in the game.
I disagree completely. Judging the items as if the set bonuses aren't part of the gear's value simply isn't accurate, and aside from the remodulation, the set bonuses are useful against anyone. Cryptic is already trying to make them more useful against non-borg, that's why it switched from plasma resist to all energy resist.