Lt. Commander
# 11
04-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Is there anything from the captain skills that influences the proc damage dealt or proc chance or something? (Like flow capacitors make Tetryon/Polaron better as i read in some post above mine)
Lt. Commander
# 12
04-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Also note, you can build a shield-stripping Tetryon ship very easily. Replay The New Link, which can reward you with special Tetryon beam arrays or dual beam banks with a 10% chance for the proc. Load up 4 of those DBBs on the front of a cruiser and you can drain shields like no one's buisiness.
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGeek View Post
Also note, you can build a shield-stripping Tetryon ship very easily. Replay The New Link, which can reward you with special Tetryon beam arrays or dual beam banks with a 10% chance for the proc. Load up 4 of those DBBs on the front of a cruiser and you can drain shields like no one's buisiness.
Not anymore, with the changes that just went live. Shield drain builds are like fluffy kittens who can't stand up on their own right now.
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-16-2012, 06:53 AM
There's one Torpedo you're missing: the Hargh'peng torpedo.

Hargh'pengs coat a struck ship with radiation which will trigger a secondary explosion 15 seconds later, which seems to do a similar amount of damage as the initial hit. The radiation may also do DoT, I'm not sure, but if it does the amount is probably not significant.

A hargh'peng torpedo is also very fast moving. If you fire a photon torpedo and then fire a hargh'peng, the hargh'peng will typically strike the enemy ship first.

The down side of hargh'peng torpedoes is that they do not work in conjunction with bridge officer abilities such as Torpedo:High Yield or Torpedo:Spread. You never get more than one hargh'peng torpedo per salvo.

I understand that Federation characters got access to the hargh'peng first but on the KDF side they can be acquired through crafting or duty officer missions. They are bind on pickup so you will never see them on the exchange. They also always seem to be blue quality, even if you score a critical success on the duty officer mission.

Peet
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-08-2012, 09:04 AM
It would be good if in the guide next to plasma, phaser, poloran etc you briefly wrote what each is actually made up of.

ie what actually is poloran etc....
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
One thing you forgot to mention about Tricobalts is their Cooldown makes them virtually useless. They take SO LONG to Cooldown that you are not likely to get more than one use out of them in any given engagement.
I beg to differ, however their use does require planning and setup. On my Garumba, I have 4 foreward slots and 3 rear slots. Conventional wisdom says one of these loadouts:

Loadout 1
DHC, DHC, DHC, Torp
Turret, Turret, Turret

or maybe:

Loadout 2
DHC, DHC, DHC, DHC
Turret, Turret, Mine

I've very happy with my

alternative loadout
DHC, DHC, DC, DC (or DHC/DHC)
Photon Torp, Tricobolt Torp, Turret

It provides more frontal assault power than Loadout 1, and on the swing-away after the pass (after their shields are softened) I can unload one or two HY or Spread torp cargos as I circle back around, and which gets which depends on the situation.

Sure, after the initial hit the Tricobalt takes a recharge, but it just did a LOT more damage than that turret will over the course of a fight. For big targets like a tactical cube, you might get to unload a couple of times. I'm using photon torpedos as the other one so that it's always available on the swing pass. I'm not convinced that quantums would be and missing an unload is worse than doing a small amt less damage.

Of course, maybe I'd be just as well off with Quantuims in place of the tricobalt, but there is a certain killing oomph that is rather nice after taking down shields and hitting with the javellin. Probably will experiment with timing more later, but I'm not unhappy with the tricobalt torpedo. It makes a satisfying boom whem you unload a spread of 3 into a gravity well clump of enemies.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krenlik View Post
I beg to differ, however their use does require planning and setup. On my Garumba, I have 4 foreward slots and 3 rear slots. Conventional wisdom says one of these loadouts:

Loadout 1
DHC, DHC, DHC, Torp
Turret, Turret, Turret

or maybe:

Loadout 2
DHC, DHC, DHC, DHC
Turret, Turret, Mine

I've very happy with my

alternative loadout
DHC, DHC, DC, DC (or DHC/DHC)
Photon Torp, Tricobolt Torp, Turret

It provides more frontal assault power than Loadout 1, and on the swing-away after the pass (after their shields are softened) I can unload one or two HY or Spread torp cargos as I circle back around, and which gets which depends on the situation.

Sure, after the initial hit the Tricobalt takes a recharge, but it just did a LOT more damage than that turret will over the course of a fight. For big targets like a tactical cube, you might get to unload a couple of times. I'm using photon torpedos as the other one so that it's always available on the swing pass. I'm not convinced that quantums would be and missing an unload is worse than doing a small amt less damage.

Of course, maybe I'd be just as well off with Quantuims in place of the tricobalt, but there is a certain killing oomph that is rather nice after taking down shields and hitting with the javellin. Probably will experiment with timing more later, but I'm not unhappy with the tricobalt torpedo. It makes a satisfying boom whem you unload a spread of 3 into a gravity well clump of enemies.
It does not provide more power than Load 1 for the front. Lack of a Torp means you sacrifice any real kill power against Hull and DC's are next to worthless unless you are struggling to grab the Proc off your cannons instead of worrying about their full damage potential. Because Torps are on a Universal Cooldown the rear having 2 Torps is silly to begin with and the Tric is going to hit the side you were not previously shooting as you pass by... In other words, it is going to hit shields and thus fail to be important.

If you want to load a Torp on your rear as a KDF then I HIGHLY recommend the Bio-Neural. That thing can deal some MASSIVE damage with just its shots, it is protected, and hits like a Tric. It can rip off shields before it hits. Very nice thing to have as a "Get off my rear!" weapon.

Quantums, especially with a good Projectile DOFF tend to fire very fast and reload quickly. Their flight speed combined with reload and power make them far superior to sluggish and destroyable Trics. I have never ONCE been successfully hit with a Tric against my Hull in PvP, NOT ONCE. They are far too easy to deal with. Quants on the other hand have blown me up more than once used correctly.

If you really do the DPS calculations and consider how well shields Absorb Torps then you will find that one turret may outstrip the damage of a Tric with utter ease when it comes to DPS. In 30 Seconds that Turret has fired 30 times. If it has done so with modifiers like Rapid Fire and Attack patterns then you can just imagine how much damage it has been causing over those 30 shots. One Tric might hit a shield and be fully nullified... That means you basically wasted all relevant damage for 30 seconds... Meanwhile your turret is actually killing shields.

Another suggestion I would have is forget Trics and go Plasma. They recharge a lot faster and leave a DoT for added damage. Their High Yield Ball of Doom is plenty devastating and while they may not be good in PvP they are plenty good in PvE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smi3th
There's one Torpedo you're missing: the Hargh'peng torpedo.

Hargh'pengs coat a struck ship with radiation which will trigger a secondary explosion 15 seconds later, which seems to do a similar amount of damage as the initial hit. The radiation may also do DoT, I'm not sure, but if it does the amount is probably not significant.

A hargh'peng torpedo is also very fast moving. If you fire a photon torpedo and then fire a hargh'peng, the hargh'peng will typically strike the enemy ship first.

The down side of hargh'peng torpedoes is that they do not work in conjunction with bridge officer abilities such as Torpedo:High Yield or Torpedo:Spread. You never get more than one hargh'peng torpedo per salvo.

I understand that Federation characters got access to the hargh'peng first but on the KDF side they can be acquired through crafting or duty officer missions. They are bind on pickup so you will never see them on the exchange. They also always seem to be blue quality, even if you score a critical success on the duty officer mission.

Peet
Hargh'Pengs are great for the very reason that they do NOT need BOFF skills to be useful. They deal significant straight to hull damage with their Radiation DoT and outstrip Transphasics in this category. They annihilate crewmen and can really put continuous hurt on an enemy. For any ship that needs a fast and deadly Torp but cannot spare many Tactical BOFF skills this is an ideal Torp.