Lt. Commander
# 41
01-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
I believe CO still has A_N_U_B_I_S, who is also an environment artist.
Hey, I was right too. From the CO boards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy
Yup sorry. Anubis is your env dude now. He's rockin it though.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curs0r View Post
When one views the star trek series, one may note a profound lack of combat when it is compared with this game. Never once have I heard O'Brien (I use O'Brien because this game is so heavily slanted toward iconic findings in DS9) request common unreplicateable materials to get something done. Dilithium was not commonly, if ever, used as a currency. Federation energy credits would be highly unlikely to be accepted outside the federation. Latinum was the coveted currency of the galaxy, and it had use. On many occasions alien races were shown that had more than 4 appendages, or in some cases less... I could go on and on.

Can we maybe work on some of this before work resumes on the foundry (Which really should be worked into a shipboard holodeck system, COME ON)? Please, do 1 thing that makes sense.
Did you ever see Picard have to give a replicator 20 energy credits for his many cups of hot earl grey tea
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-11-2012, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
Did you ever see Picard have to give a replicator 20 energy credits for his many cups of hot earl grey tea
They were auto-deducted. :-)
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
Meh, I'm made of tougher stuff than that.

They warned me off of the CO forums too, but that didn't stop me. Still had people coming by at least once a week saying something to the effect of, "Damn Dawg! You really stepped in it this time!"

I don't like being insulted, but I do like hearing what you guys think/like/hate/want, and I want to give you what you want. It's just not always feasible.

The game is in the state it's in, and nothing we can do will alter the past. But hopefully I can help shape the future.

:::gets in DeLorean:::

For what it's worth I love the vast majority of what STO is. I don't play the STFs because i'm not into grind, I'll probably "buy" most of the rD I need because I only want to play dailies when i want to and not to hit some daily number of ore to refine.

My number 1 "gripe" is that we need more content, and by content I mean missions, stories, FEs, not repeatable dailies that don't advance a storyline.

For a lot of the other "gripes" mentioned in this thread, I'm not so attached to canon that a romulan using a fed tricorder bothers me. For the multiple solutions to finishing a mission, I just don't think people understand that what may be easy to impliment in a RPG simply won't work in an MMO. Just my two cents.

P.S. I think it's great that you continue dialoging on tough issues. You take the heat and respond honestly and directly, please don't stop doing this, we need more of it. And never take it personally. My boss at an ISP that will remain unnamed had a poster in his office; "It's not your fault... It IS your problem." Keep trying to come up with solutions and even if they don't all make the mark, I think the vast majority of the community will applaud the effort.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII
"It's not your fault... It IS your problem."
WoW.

For a service provider to find this statement truthful is disappointing given the likelihood said provider created said problem. As is the case with STO's problems and its provider, Cyrptic.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSteel
WoW.

For a service provider to find this statement truthful is disappointing given the likelihood said provider created said problem. As is the case with STO's problems and its provider, Cyrptic.

No, the provider may be at fault, this statement was for the tech support - or call center - division. We have no control over outages or poor installations, but we do have the responsibility of fixing it. I think you misinterpreted the meaning.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

No, the provider may be at fault, this statement was for the tech support - or call center - division. We have no control over outages or poor installations, but we do have the responsibility of fixing it. I think you misinterpreted the meaning.
In that context, I agree with the statement.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumerboy View Post
I don't like being insulted, but I do like hearing what you guys think/like/hate/want, and I want to give you what you want. It's just not always feasible.

The game is in the state it's in, and nothing we can do will alter the past. But hopefully I can help shape the future.

:::gets in DeLorean:::
determined_clap.gif

VERY commendable of you, and please spread the word to the "fora scardycats" that usually the reason foras degenerate into a so called cesspit is because people feel like they aren´t listened to.

As for the OP, sorry but you´re wrong on every account. :p
The future of this Trek experience here is to GET ON WITH THE WARS!
Meaning to survive the onslaught of the dominant species of about 3 of the 4 quadrants in this Galaxy and assorted neighboring realities/universes.

Cryptic´s current main future goal should be to make this "slightly" ridiculous n-front war believably survivable.
So that it doesn´t feel like your typical MMO experience that just wants to mask it´s lack of ideas with hiding behind higher level mobs that do the same but just look different for difference sake.

Or even DON`T make it survivable!

As this is a sharded server anyway it should be possible to have people in instances depending on level.

Lets say all peeps at current level cap get an event the shows the feds are defeated mirror universe style. Now everyone off those get a new VA 2nd grade "lvl51" cap and end up in a exclusive VAII51+ only version of the current galaxy.
Instead of hunting every last Fedship down the victors are busy fighting each other and the Borg, effectively forgetting to stomp out the smoldering ruins of the Federation.

A nice foundation for a "back from the ashes" scenario.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-12-2012, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivarST
determined_clap.gif

VERY commendable of you, and please spread the word to the "fora scardycats" that usually the reason foras degenerate into a so called cesspit is because people feel like they aren´t listened to.

As for the OP, sorry but you´re wrong on every account. :p
The future of this Trek experience here is to GET ON WITH THE WARS!
Meaning to survive the onslaught of the dominant species of about 3 of the 4 quadrants in this Galaxy and assorted neighboring realities/universes.

Cryptic´s current main future goal should be to make this "slightly" ridiculous n-front war believably survivable.
So that it doesn´t feel like your typical MMO experience that just wants to mask it´s lack of ideas with hiding behind higher level mobs that do the same but just look different for difference sake.

Or even DON`T make it survivable!

As this is a sharded server anyway it should be possible to have people in instances depending on level.

Lets say all peeps at current level cap get an event the shows the feds are defeated mirror universe style. Now everyone off those get a new VA 2nd grade "lvl51" cap and end up in a exclusive VAII51+ only version of the current galaxy.
Instead of hunting every last Fedship down the victors are busy fighting each other and the Borg, effectively forgetting to stomp out the smoldering ruins of the Federation.

A nice foundation for a "back from the ashes" scenario.
You probably don't even need to shard.

You can probably have something like "Phasing" from WoW only tie it to level instead of quest progress so that someone teamed with a lower level who is matching their level sees the low level version.

Consider: when your camera is near a source of sound effects, you hear them. Music can be different based on camera position. Likewise, a camera inside a nebula will see all of space differently.

Go to sector space partway between DS9 and the Badlands. Scroll your camera way back into the badlands cloud and you'll see DS9 displayed inside the Badlands sky effect.

Ie. some effects are clientside. Likewise, cinematics are clientside.

So, for example, two people could conceivably see different people as the Klingon chancellor, which could allow, say, a story about J'mpok being replaced by having him "recostumed" clientside or by having players not appear to other players on certain parts of the same map, including altered terrain geometry.

It's a tech hurdle but one for which the basis of addressing already exists in the engine.
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I wonder if they themselves would subscribe to STO... and for how long.
Wow! that was an excellent post... and you really nailed the point home with that last bit.

Very well said on all counts and echos my sentiments for the game precisely.

I'm not here because MMO game play mechanics are the pinnacle of gaming bliss... but because I enjoy boldly going where no man has gone before. Here's hoping the team starts focusing on more Trekocity!