Lt. Commander
# 11
02-22-2012, 07:06 PM
So there's currently no real point to the First Officer?

I've only just started playing this last week or so, so I've been muddling around with my Bridge Officer set up. At the moment, I have my Tactical Bridge Officer from the tutorial as my First Officer, with another Tactical Officer whose ability I preferred as my space and ground combat guy, and then two Ops (both used in space and ground) and two Science officers (one in space, the other in ground). Since I have my starting Tactical Bridge Officer as my First Officer, I didn't want to add her to the away team (pretty sure that's against Starfleet regulations ), but it looks from this thread like she's currently not providing any benefit to me at all. Perhaps I should start using her in space battles and change some of her skills, which would be a bit annoying, as I've spent lots of XP already.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Slightly off-topic, But regarding First Officers. I'd like to see the game include them more in mission dialogues etc, or when a BO reports something to you, would like to see the first officer appear more often then others.

As currently whoever you make first officer means nothing at all lol. Even when you go on away missions that are only for a team of 2 (you and 1 other) the game should auto select your first officer, and then give you the choice to change it.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
To my memory, the way the department heads/XO's was supposed to work was this:

Doff's Grant Passives, but those passives are eaten by the departments heads and applied to your ship. So, if you have a BOFF assigned as a department head, but not assigned to a station, you wouldn't get the buff. This doesn't apply as of now.
XO's were supposed to have their own special passive or buff, depending on the type of BOFF chosen for this position.

None of this was implemented, but I think it is still in the works. At least, I haven't heard Heretic say it was off the table.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bos142 View Post
I really believe that they should make it so the highest rank attainable for a players toon is capt. Leave higher ranks such as admirals for in game NPC's .
I will say it again, KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY GOLD BRAID. Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-23-2012, 08:13 PM
I've said this before in other threads, but what I'd like to see is the department heads tying into your in-game dialogue. Thus if you get dialogue window about a medical issue your medical department head talks to you.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-23-2012, 08:22 PM
When it comes to First Officer abilities, I'd like to see something unique for each career choice and advantages to which ever you choose. If you choose a tac for example, maybe a bonus ability that is tactical related for both space and ground. This ability would only work if the BO was selected as your First Officer.

Examples:

Tactial First Officer - Extra +5 damage and weapon power.
Engineering First Officer - Extra +5 engineering heals and shield power
Science First Officer - Extra +5 science heals and aux power.

Something simple like that offers every toon regardless of career an interesting choice between the 3 that can reflect their style of play.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-25-2012, 03:49 AM
I'd like to see the Bridge Officer and Duty Officer Systems combined a bit. I mean, I have gotten my 1st extra ship (finally reached Lt. Cdr.) Once I reach Admiral and have all these extra ships, why can't I recommend my First officer to their own Command and then assign them missions, just like my duty officers. Also I'd like to be able to promote my Duty Officers to Bridge Officers, especially if each specific DOFF would have a success / failure ratio on assigned missions. Once a certain amount of missions were done with like a 75% success rate you could promote them to Bridge officer status, if you have an open Bridge Officer slot.

The other reason I'd like to see this implemented is to be able to bring my Fleet with me on solo missions, kind of like the way a destroyer group is assigned to a specific Aircraft carrier.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Adding a bit to this, it would force you to spend some of that excess dilithium to keep All your ships updated. Once you assign a Boff to their own command, you lose access to them as crew or on away team missions but would be able to level up Captain Abilities.

Ships upgrade status / Captain Level Abilities / and any other Bridge Officers assigned to your new Captain would calculate into the mission success ratio.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCorrino
I've said this before in other threads, but what I'd like to see is the department heads tying into your in-game dialogue. Thus if you get dialogue window about a medical issue your medical department head talks to you.
It seems to work this way for me already...

Example: I have a Klink Science Officer and a Trill Medical officer. Besides the obvious face recognition, I have the Kahn unis on my crew, and the medic has hers open while the Klink wears hers closed. Helps with the recognition of who's talking by portrait only...

Recently did one of the early Rom series missions, where I had to pick up the mines from the base and talk to the Vulcan who made them. When I landed and got the message to check the computers for information, it was the Klink, and when I got the message to check the injured scientists, it was the Trill.

The only thing that bugs me so far about the messages, and I don't quite have it confirmed as of this moment, is that planetside officers always know what's going on on-ship - when I only had the limited allotment of silver BOffs, I had my Tac-class BOff as XO, Tactical and Security. She always somehow knew that the enemy fleet who was going to perform the follow-up attack on the site I just cleared out was warping into orbit. Since I got the cheap-game subscription deal, I put her on pure shipboard duty, and don't recall having a mission with a "from ship" message for me to confirm if I get her, or my new Security Chief / bodyguard guy...

Meanwhile, what I'd like to see (especially for those accounts with all sorts of BOFF slots opened) is the ability to designate "backups" - aka the crewman that runs to the seat when the Captain calls "So and So with me" at the beginning of the away team - for example, if I pick my Tac to go planetside, and I'm due a message from Tac officer on ship, I should see my "backup" Tac BOff who would be the one knowing this info, not my planetside one. That, and more duties for the XO BOff, since I got my first BOff onto pure XO duty, I barely recall seeing her face...
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmaul
I will say it again, KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY GOLD BRAID. Thank you.
Yes instead we should be allowed to put an extra pip on our first officers.