Lt. Commander
D'Angelo said leveling was easy then Cryptic made leveling even faster. When is leveling going to be set at normal or slower rate?

In my opinion increasing the speed at which on level in this game was the dumbest idea ever.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus01 View Post
D'Angelo said leveling was easy then Cryptic made leveling even faster. When is leveling going to be set at normal or slower rate?

In my opinion increasing the speed at which on level in this game was the dumbest idea ever.
I don't think leveling will ever be reset to a normal rate for the Federation since the inclusion of the XP bonuses in the game as random drops and as purchasable items in the C-store. The best we can hope for now is for Cryptic to raise the level cap from 50 to 60 once they've gotten enough tier 6 content in the game. Then it will take longer to get to from level 1 to 60 just by virtue of having the additional 10 levels to grind.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2012, 03:37 PM
I would have to fully agree, Between the ridiculously high point for missions, DOFF rewards and Q's winter wonderland I have 2 captains that have gone from LT Comm 2 to RAUH and they are only just now finishing the Klingon sector missions in Pi Canis.

The levelling in this game is so easy now a coma patient could do it. It detracts from the game and takes away a lot of the enjoyment of actually trying to level up. All the current rates do is get you to end game faster which as has been discussed too many times to count, is seriously lacking in content. We now have the 20 min pew pew STF's, and well thats about it STILL......

Seriously slow the game down, convert some of those ridiculously high mission points into something usefull like Dilithium since everything runs on that now, crafting is too expensive to bother with and Dilithium takes forever to get a reasonable amount...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack-NZ
I would have to fully agree, Between the ridiculously high point for missions, DOFF rewards and Q's winter wonderland I have 2 captains that have gone from LT Comm 2 to RAUH and they are only just now finishing the Klingon sector missions in Pi Canis.

The levelling in this game is so easy now a coma patient could do it. It detracts from the game and takes away a lot of the enjoyment of actually trying to level up. All the current rates do is get you to end game faster which as has been discussed too many times to count, is seriously lacking in content. We now have the 20 min pew pew STF's, and well thats about it STILL......

Seriously slow the game down, convert some of those ridiculously high mission points into something usefull like Dilithium since everything runs on that now, crafting is too expensive to bother with and Dilithium takes forever to get a reasonable amount...
I like the idea of converting some of the mission points into Dilithium. Crafting is awful at the moment with the obligatory Dilithium investment for some mark sets.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2012, 03:49 PM
I think you misunderstand. To Cryptic, this is the normal leveling rate. And honestly, to some degree, I have to concur. If the current leveling rate on Holodeck is what it was on Tribble, then it feels about right. If you started a new character at lvl1 and played the missions straight through, you more or less hit the level cap by the time you finish all the story missions. Which kind of is the way it should be. If a new player started the game at level 1 and played the story missions straight through, and only ended up at say rank Captain when he completed all the available mission content in the game, how would that look? He'd recognize that repetitious grind would be needed to truly "finish" his character progression and probably quit. On the other hand, if he hits VA shortly before he has exhausted the available missions, then he would be incentivized to go buy fancy VA level ships to finish the missions.

However, just because it's balanced between advancement and available content doesn't mean it's right. It only serves to show how ridiculously little content there is in the game.

Remember, the F2P model is not meant to keep players around. It's built on turnover (at least this one seems to be). Being free means there is (or hopefully is) a steady incoming stream of new players. It's not important that someone sticks around for a long time and plays. Only that they (again, hopefully) spent a few dollars while they were here, and then moved on to something else thus freeing up server resources for someone else to take his place. In fact they probably don't want long-term players (who aren't subscribers), since it is those players who have sat around for a long time grinding endgame content that end up generating significant in-game wealth, meaning they pretty much never need to pay real money to buy CStore items.

By playing the dilithium exchange correctly, current players can leverage their gathered wealth and pretty much self-fund any future C-store purchase they want without ever having to put more real money into the system.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
I think you misunderstand. To Cryptic, this is the normal leveling rate. And honestly, to some degree, I have to concur. If the current leveling rate on Holodeck is what it was on Tribble, then it feels about right. If you started a new character at lvl1 and played the missions straight through, you more or less hit the level cap by the time you finish all the story missions. Which kind of is the way it should be. If a new player started the game at level 1 and played the story missions straight through, and only ended up at say rank Captain when he completed all the available mission content in the game, how would that look? He'd recognize that repetitious grind would be needed to truly "finish" his character progression and probably quit. On the other hand, if he hits VA shortly before he has exhausted the available missions, then he would be incentivized to go buy fancy VA level ships to finish the missions.

However, just because it's balanced between advancement and available content doesn't mean it's right. It only serves to show how ridiculously little content there is in the game.

Remember, the F2P model is not meant to keep players around. It's built on turnover (at least this one seems to be). Being free means there is (or hopefully is) a steady incoming stream of new players. It's not important that someone sticks around for a long time and plays. Only that they (again, hopefully) spent a few dollars while they were here, and then moved on to something else thus freeing up server resources for someone else to take his place. In fact they probably don't want long-term players (who aren't subscribers), since it is those players who have sat around for a long time grinding endgame content that end up generating significant in-game wealth, meaning they pretty much never need to pay real money to buy CStore items.

By playing the dilithium exchange correctly, current players can leverage their gathered wealth and pretty much self-fund any future C-store purchase they want without ever having to put more real money into the system.
There no logic in hoping that new people keep coming. With a high turnover rate will only allow for a lot of bad reviews which will turn away new people from even coming into the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2012, 05:08 PM
wow time to level my sci. This is good news for players who want alts tho. But bad news overall, since all new people will be at a rush to end game and then nothing. Like a drunken binge.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2012, 05:30 PM
I think leveling too fast is less of a concern now because the missions scale up to your level. Before it was a problem because you could out-level the content and then it was all super easy, even on Elite.

I still just wish they would add Lt. JG after Lieutenant, and make the top rank Captain instead of Admiral. Rear Admiral should be a gold-only rank.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Balance leveling speed
01-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Really, the rate of levelling should match the experience gained from completing episodes. As in, if you do nothing but the episodes, no dailies or borg battles, no DOff missions, or anything else, you should match the minimum level for the next episode, with a little leeway based on exp gained through npc kills. There is no reason to get to max level before even finishing the Romulan front.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2012, 05:59 PM
They did it to make the incoming Silver players think there's a ton of content.