Lt. Commander
# 41
01-12-2012, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
No they don't. They don't have to craft meshes for new locations or new items, code cutscenes, balance new items or powers, run anything past CBS...

What they do know how to do is utilize the hell out of a dumbed-down set of dev tools. Which isn't to devalue the missions, I'm sure there are masterpieces out there. I'm just saying, they have no idea what goes into a Featured Series episode.
This. So much this.

I don't need glorified Foundry missions. We have the Foundry for that. Quality over quantity is what matters to me.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-12-2012, 01:57 AM
There should be a minimum of 12 every year. If they lack the resources to do this, then it is on them.
If they lack the desire to do this, it is on them.

There is no explanation which you or Cryptic can provide that counters the preceding statements.

The only explanation that excuses Cryptic is if CBS is the hindrance and I highly doubt this is the case.

No, the reason is an oldie, a "classic" in any business, simple ....cost to benefit logic. Why should they
invest when we the idiot player base keeps paying for mediocrity, myself included. Hell, they've even managed to doll out to the paying consumer part of their job! the very job they are paid to do and you know what? Players are doing it, all the while Cryptic comes off looking like a prince. Amazing.

Only when the player base drops off, significantly, will they do any reflection as to why and even then, perhaps only if prodded by CBS.
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-12-2012, 02:00 AM
I think, speaking as a player, that I could live with 8 weeks between series with dailies and a lower quality standalone mission in the middle of the hiatus. That's about as much as I'd be comfortable giving. That's 4 FE (20 missions) a year and 3 standalone missions. About like a television season.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-12-2012, 02:07 AM
Quote:
No they don't. They don't have to craft meshes for new locations or new items, code cutscenes, balance new items or powers, run anything past CBS...

What they do know how to do is utilize the hell out of a dumbed-down set of dev tools. Which isn't to devalue the missions, I'm sure there are masterpieces out there. I'm just saying, they have no idea what goes into a Featured Series episode.
I don't want game. I want official story. If we could get regular official story to the tune of a good Foundry mission, I'd be happy. At a certain point, I don't care if this game ever has another item. I'd LIKEmore items but that's optional for me.

And I'm sorry but I think anybody who has never crafted meshes, designed and balanced RPG items, coded cutscenes, and dealt with writing that had to get approved is either a gifted teenager or someone who is not good with the Foundry either.

At the risk of being a snob, I think every halfway decent Foundry author I know actually HAS experience in all of those areas PLUS object oriented programming and has to understand how those things work to push the Foundry to look better and do more than a standard "Kill 5" exploration mission.
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Don't need new meshes, sure. But that isn't how they're doing it. They're doing it like they've done all the others. New maps, new cutscenes, bells and whistles, the whole nine yards. You want to guess a realistic timeframe? You have to account for all that. Because that is what's realistic.
Or you can tell them they don't need to do that much and focus on creating more missions.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-12-2012, 02:13 AM
Quote:
May as well. For the record, I voted 3-4 months, because even considering everything I mentioned, it would seem to me that a team that's putting forth major effort should be able to manage around a four month down-time between FEs.
So you'd be fine with only one FE between the Dominion one and one that would start on December 1st. You're only off from D'Angelo's estimate of 13 by 1 mission. 14 by your count, 13 by his.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-12-2012, 02:36 AM
I'm okay with 4 FE series a year, which kind of means 1 series per 12 weeks. Considering each series would last 5 weeks based on precedent, it would leave 7 more weeks to wait/attend other stuff in the game until the next series.

I think that's both fair and tolerable.
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-12-2012, 02:45 AM
I voted 3 - 4 months. If a small team of writers can do 20+ episodes of a television series in 6 months, asking any team of writers for one series of 6 every 3 months is plenty of time.

Edit: I could probably do it myself if I had any real creativity. Which I do not.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-12-2012, 02:54 AM
I voted 1 to 2 months:

Since STO is NOT a television series per se, a FE can be quickly constructed and a solid story board presented in no time. Comic book series have a deadline on a monthly basis and have to come up with a solid story arc. I have faith Cryptic can do it within 2 months, with a worst case scenerio of a week extension.

(No offense to the poster above me)
Lt. Commander
# 50
01-12-2012, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
(No offense to the poster above me)
None taken.