Lt. Commander
Hey dude

I get the feeling that this isnt exactly one of the things you are in charge of over there at Cryptic, but I have seen you on Jupiter Broadcasting (STOked and MMORgue), and I have seen how well you look after the community, and I know your a dude who knows a good game system when he sees it, so Im asking you pretty please, dude to dude, trekkie to trekkie, gamer to gamer, have a chat with Gozer about the STF economy.

Now, before you close the window and stop reading, please hear me out. If you look around the forums you will see unanimous outcry for change and improvement with the way the EDC, salvage, and Mk XII stuff works. Now, I cant speak for all those people, nor would I try, but I can relate to you my experiences so far with the new STFs. First off, Gozer did an amazing job remaking them. They are HUGE amounts of fun. They are hard, they require teamwork, they have some neat puzzles, all really good stuff. But the system by which we get all the neat loot thatís tied to them is driving people away. The community had asked for changes a way back when they were still on tribble, and Gozer dug in his heels and refused to budge. Now he isnt even talking to us, or even saying go away. I myself am sitting on a pile of rare borg salvage, and have nothing to do but trade it in for a quite small bit of Dil (1K I think) It seems like an extreme waste to trade them in, so they are just taking up space. I only need 2 more parts of proto salvage before they start piling up right before the rare stuff. I also run the elite ground missions almost exclusively. I have collected almost all of the MK XI ground gear (using the Omega set, and only need one more bit of Maco) and I have yet to see a tech drop. Mk XI or XII. In my entire fleet actually, we have only had one guy get a single MK XII drop. And we run the STFs quite a bit.

People are getting burned out, and the ques are emptying. Would it not be better to have people playing the STFs less because they have the loot they want, then having people stop playing them because they dont like to play them anymore? With the first situation, people will still play with their friends, but with the second they wonít.

And about the salvage, I would really like something else to do with them. Maybe change the Doffs to use salvage as a means to acquire them? I did some math in this thread and made some suggestions there as well (as did a lot of others!), but I think it might have been missed.

So, there it is. Please help!! You guys have done some awesome stuff with the end game, but this one little thing is dragging the experience down!!

Edit:
Also, please don't mis-understand. Im not looking for trouble, im not trying to be a jerk, I just see (and am experiencing) a problem, and they guy who can fix it has flat out refused, and is now not talking to us anymore. You seemed like the man to go to!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2012, 10:01 PM
It's an over-arching problem, not just limited to STFs. The loot tables right now are shockingly broken, with the trends seeming to incidate that people who have received very rare loot, will continue to see it... whereas those who have never been so fortunate, continue to get little more than worthless MkX items.

I like your tone, though. It's nice to see some level-headed reasoning rather than flat-out rage. No member of my fleet has managed to get any Mark XII gear yet with the sole exception of ONE fellow who has managed to see not one, or two... or even three prototype drops. But Four.

The ONE person in Ausmonauts who has managed to get MkXII prototype drops, has received such loot 4 times, and he has accumulated barely 110 regular EDC in the process.

I refuse to see that as being "luck of the dice". Something is seriously wrong when the rest of us haven't seen anything.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-11-2012, 10:41 PM
This is what all the feedback on this forum should look like.

Well maybe not quite so long. But this is the right tone.

I also rather agree. The loot table seems rather broken and needs adjusted.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2012, 12:49 AM
2 Things are Happening

1.) People are getting worn out grinding STFs for EDC
2.) Queues are emptying, and lightening up, as you said

Eventually, STFs will get the point of what PvP has become, a sparsely populated impossible to get into thing that people just don't touch cause its not worth it.

The easiest answer, just reduce the need to have 40 EDCs per piece. Reduce it to 20.

I'd also suggest making an EDC be a reward on EVERY daily, like Emblems use to be. There needs to be more ways to get EDC than just the current STFs.

One of those two things being implemented would go a long way to helping.

As the OP stated, don't you want people playing the STFs? Right now, the current system is making it so people don't really want to play them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2012, 12:50 AM
crap double post
/delete
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Guys, they designed the drop rates to be how they are for a reason and I am not sure how likely they are to significantly adjust them. If they put them too high, then STFs will be competitive (time-wise) with grinding dilithium and will undermine their economic model.

While everyone would like to see the drop-rate increased, I think we have to be realistic that it will not, at least in any significant way.

One request that I do have is that you put in some kind of guarantee for the elite gear like you put in for the veteran gear. On the Veteran gear, if I play 120 missions I know for certain (assuming they are completed) that I will get enough EDC to get a set.

Unfortunately, Elite gear does not work this way. Someone who is particularly unlucky could easily run 1000 STFs without completing a set. All I am asking is that something similar be implemented. I am not going to suggest a number, but try to be as generous as possible.

You would not even have to make new currency. Just make it an accolade. If you do a mission on elite X times, you get earn the tech drop as a reward. You can reduce the random drop rate to compensate. This way, I would know if I completed The Cure Ground x times I would get the accolade and the Elite Armor requisition. It would also be something to shoot for rather than just hoping that maybe something will drop and we will get it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2012, 01:20 AM
It would be great if we can get the STFs one last tweekage. The Tech Drop rates are still horrendous.

Even worse, people are really showing signs of burnout and frustration, especially when they hear somenoe got a drop they didn't want and end up trashing it. But you wanted that drop and struggled for a month to get it. (A failure of the random loot drop).

Then there is the frustration over the STF Objectives, especially Infected's Ground and Cure Space. They really do need to be tweeked to be more achieveable without needing DPS up the yin-yang.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2012, 02:15 AM
There definitely needs to be an alternative way of aquiring prototype Borg tech.

Cryptic wants the players to spend a lot of time doing STFs. I get that. But HOW they are enforcing this is just wrong.
The drop rate is so damn low that most people aren't being rewarded at all even though they already ran 100+ elites.
How is that in any way fair?
There needs to be a mechanic that guarantees a tech drop once you've done an STF enough times.
I need to know that the time spent on STFs will be worth it in the end.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2012, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godimas View Post
They are HUGE amounts of fun.
/snip

we run the STFs quite a bit.
/snip

People are getting burned out, and the ques are emptying
If ppl are getting "burned out" because they made the STF's are quicker to do , just like they made leveling quicker in the whole game , then there just might be something wrong .

If ppl are not doing the STF's for anything other than to get the loot , then there just might be something also wrong .

Summery :
A lot of us did the old STF's a lot , long AFTER we got the Borg Set reward .
A lot of us are getting a "burned out" feeling BEFORE we even get the MkXII ground set loot .

Question :
Are you planning to replay the new STF's a lot , after you get your MkXII groundset loot ?
*note : MkXII ground set loot remains a theoretical possibility only for 98.6% of the playerbase at this time .
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Doctor.
2 Things are Happening

1.) People are getting worn out grinding STFs for EDC
2.) Queues are emptying, and lightening up, as you said

Eventually, STFs will get the point of what PvP has become, a sparsely populated impossible to get into thing that people just don't touch cause its not worth it.

The easiest answer, just reduce the need to have 40 EDCs per piece. Reduce it to 20.

I'd also suggest making an EDC be a reward on EVERY daily, like Emblems use to be. There needs to be more ways to get EDC than just the current STFs.

One of those two things being implemented would go a long way to helping.

As the OP stated, don't you want people playing the STFs? Right now, the current system is making it so people don't really want to play them.
Ker'rat could give EDC. It has Borg. A common complaint is that the KDF never bothers to do the actual mission. And why does it not do that? Because the mission is pointless. You get only gear you probably don#t even need, and you'd also get if you'd just shoot the Borg.