Lt. Commander
# 11
01-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godimas View Post
Hey dude

I get the feeling that this isnt exactly one of the things you are in charge of over there at Cryptic, but I have seen you on Jupiter Broadcasting (STOked and MMORgue), and I have seen how well you look after the community, and I know your a dude who knows a good game system when he sees it, so Im asking you pretty please, dude to dude, trekkie to trekkie, gamer to gamer, have a chat with Gozer about the STF economy.

Now, before you close the window and stop reading, please hear me out. If you look around the forums you will see unanimous outcry for change and improvement with the way the EDC, salvage, and Mk XII stuff works. Now, I cant speak for all those people, nor would I try, but I can relate to you my experiences so far with the new STFs. First off, Gozer did an amazing job remaking them. They are HUGE amounts of fun. They are hard, they require teamwork, they have some neat puzzles, all really good stuff. But the system by which we get all the neat loot thatís tied to them is driving people away. The community had asked for changes a way back when they were still on tribble, and Gozer dug in his heels and refused to budge. Now he isnt even talking to us, or even saying go away. I myself am sitting on a pile of rare borg salvage, and have nothing to do but trade it in for a quite small bit of Dil (1K I think) It seems like an extreme waste to trade them in, so they are just taking up space. I only need 2 more parts of proto salvage before they start piling up right before the rare stuff. I also run the elite ground missions almost exclusively. I have collected almost all of the MK XI ground gear (using the Omega set, and only need one more bit of Maco) and I have yet to see a tech drop. Mk XI or XII. In my entire fleet actually, we have only had one guy get a single MK XII drop. And we run the STFs quite a bit.

People are getting burned out, and the ques are emptying. Would it not be better to have people playing the STFs less because they have the loot they want, then having people stop playing them because they dont like to play them anymore? With the first situation, people will still play with their friends, but with the second they wonít.

And about the salvage, I would really like something else to do with them. Maybe change the Doffs to use salvage as a means to acquire them? I did some math in this thread and made some suggestions there as well (as did a lot of others!), but I think it might have been missed.

So, there it is. Please help!! You guys have done some awesome stuff with the end game, but this one little thing is dragging the experience down!!

Edit:
Also, please don't mis-understand. Im not looking for trouble, im not trying to be a jerk, I just see (and am experiencing) a problem, and they guy who can fix it has flat out refused, and is now not talking to us anymore. You seemed like the man to go to!
I couldn't put it better myself, thank you for writing in a way that others could learn from.

The only opinion I would echo from your replies is that I feel the tech drop rate should be increased only slightly and that there would be a guaranteed way of receiving the MkXII gear, eg 120 EDCs will get one piece. I think 40 EDCs for the other pices are fine and I already have all the MkXI ground set and 2/3 of the space set. The ground set suit is becoming a more common sight around the various meeting places but at 120EDCs the MkXII full suit would still remain fairly exclusive for some time. Definitely I feel something along these lines should be done, and I agree, it is beginning to take longer to wait to get on an STF queue, so this is begining to have an impact.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2012, 02:56 AM
IMHO, the best solution is a wrapper mission that awards a chunk of resources, a weekly mission.

It's GOOD that the STFs are faster but people are getting burned out because they feel pressured to marathon them.

IMHO, what would be nice is:

- A weekly wrapper to run a randomly chosen STF for 5 EDC. Once per week per character.
- A weekly "featured" STF that gives double EDC, both on Normal and Elite.

Now... Here's the slightly more wild one.

- Introduce special items that are sold by a vendor who appears at the end of every Elite STF. Ground for the Ground Vendor. Space for the Space. This vendor will "Decrypt" up to 4 of your datachips per ESTF. Decrypted Datachips can be spent on Mk XII gear at 80 DDC each, exclusively from this vendor who appears ONLY at the end of Elite STFs.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-12-2012, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99

- Introduce special items that are sold by a vendor who appears at the end of every Elite STF. Ground for the Ground Vendor. Space for the Space. This vendor will "Decrypt" up to 4 of your datachips per ESTF. Decrypted Datachips can be spent on Mk XII gear at 80 DDC each, exclusively from this vendor who appears ONLY at the end of Elite STFs.
Hmm nice idea, still think 120 EDC for MkXII but love the idea.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-12-2012, 03:05 AM
120 EDC per piece would be fine by me.

Or about 10 prototype salvage as they seem to drop quite frequently after last Fridays patch.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-12-2012, 04:10 AM
Quote:
- A weekly wrapper to run a randomly chosen STF for 5 EDC. Once per week per character.
- A weekly "featured" STF that gives double EDC, both on Normal and Elite.
Isn't it the STF event precisely this? They highlight a given STF once a week for one day, and if you complete the STF on this day, you get double rewards.

And your first idea remembers one other idea I had a time ago: the existance of the old STF with the new one. I think they required much more of the team than the present STF's and have better history. Also, this would mean better drop rates. Like 5 EDC's guarenteed on the end (which equates to one Borg Set Piece that used to be awarded) and with an increased probability of getting a prototype salvage.

About the prototype being awarded to the same person over and over again, I will touch on the winter wonderland event. I won't complain that I ddin't get any red box, but it happened something that seemed very unprobable, and may be related with this. In one of my characters, I received four blue box on consecutive days. I know the blue box isn't as rare as the red ones, but getting 4 blue box on consecutive days and on the same character seens as improbable as rolling a dice four times and getting a six on all they. It isn't impossible. It may happen. But it's ridicularly improbable. So the impression I have it's that they random generator code is bugged. And perhaps the code was addapted from the STF. I don't know. It is my hipothesys. My only hope is that this may be helpfull for someone at Cryptic in case they see this.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-12-2012, 04:11 AM
Quote:

It's GOOD that the STFs are faster but people are getting burned out because they feel pressured to marathon them.
I don't feel pressured to marathon them ever since I accepted the fact that the MkXII ground loot is very close to being beyond my reach .
If the "carrot" at the end of the road is close to unattainable for ONE toon (at this time) , and you have several toons (or at least two -- one on each faction that Cryptic wants you to play) , then something is wrong .

So here's my "radical ideas" :

- More STF's .
- Hook up the STF awards to Terradome and put that mission in the queue list as well .
(why it's not there now is beyond me ... -- could it be that we have too much endgame content ?Yeah , that must be it ...)

And think about this one : Why is your endgame playerbase getting burned out by shorter missions , when they were less burned out by longer ones ?
Could it be that you've turned them from an "event" to "just another mission" ?
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-12-2012, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
I don't feel pressured to marathon them ever since I accepted the fact that the MkXII ground loot is very close to being beyond my reach .
If the "carrot" at the end of the road is close to unattainable for ONE toon (at this time) , and you have several toons (or at least two -- one on each faction that Cryptic wants you to play) , then something is wrong .

So here's my "radical ideas" :

- More STF's .
- Hook up the STF awards to Terradome and put that mission in the queue list as well .
(why it's not there now is beyond me ... -- could it be that we have too much endgame content ?Yeah , that must be it ...)

And think about this one : Why is your endgame playerbase getting burned out by shorter missions , when they were less burned out by longer ones ?
Could it be that you've turned them from an "event" to "just another mission" ?
Can i possibly offer a further step to this..
Make the rewards for ALL Borg missions give out EDC. For a F2P'er it gets the ball rolling on the EDC collection with the first mission in Borg space, secondly it adds some variety to EDC collection for existing players - if the queues are declining, then why not do a solo of Assimilated again for example, and get a few EDC for doing it (in this example it wouldn't give out the Borg console again if you already played and picked it up before).
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-12-2012, 04:41 AM
Wow guys, thanks for all the support ^.^

A really good point was made here that I forgot to mention in my op:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
I worked out the math , and for me to earn all the Mk XI rewards and the boffs on a single toon would take four months of playing nothing but STFs. Now that's just me, and on my schedule. So others would probably do it faster or maybe even slower.
Here's a thought, im not sure if this is possible with the tech you guys have at the moment, but it would really help if the STF currencies (EDC, salvage, and tech) were bind to account, so the players could send excess items gained by one toon to another. Would cut doen on a LOT of the grind. I only really want to unlock the STF stuff on two toons, but eight months of nothing but STFs, broken up by 10 featured episodes (5 in each series) sounds a little rough to be honest.
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-12-2012, 05:14 AM
cryptic has a trackrecord of overreacting to feedback, or not at all.

we say we want the skilltree changed so that there is a ground / space split, and the 3 or 4 cruiser skills collapsed into one cruiser skill so that we don't have to respec all the time we swap ships -> they redo the whole shebang.

we ask for a queue for the STF's, and maybe make the Cure a bit shorter, and split Kithomer Accord into 2 parts. also we want some loot to work for that is a tiny bit harder to get than the *run it once, and never again* approach they took with the STF Borg Set, and BOOM complete remake of everything into, well THIS.

I mean yes i play them more, so i am less bored with the game, i guess overall it was a good change because it made them more accessible.

I think i have all the tricks figured out in the easy versions by now... (heck i can beat Armek and Samantha Simmons ON MY OWN, no team required! I do not need a Team for the Bosses any longer <3 my Medic Tank ) they are almost getting TOO easy now (and too easy means it will get boring the more i repeat it).

The only challenge in easy mode PuGs are new Players, who drag down team efficiency, Quitters (which would not be a problem if the queue would do it's job and get us a replacement ALWAYS) and Players who ignore the Chat when you try to teach them how it works.

But if i try Elite i get my rear end handed to me, especially on ground, and that has nothing to do with my personal skill, but team skill and purely the insane numbers DPS/Heal race.

So in my opinion, the best thing to get a better difficulty progression, learning curve and another, less impossible option for PUGs to get the awesome Mk XII loot -> i would suggest, no i do REQUEST an ADVANCED setting.

We have an Advanced Setting for everything else (why do you think that even exists? for the very same reason, easy = boring, elite = PITA), so why not for STF's?
Tell me one good reason other than "Gozer has to do DS9 FE's now and schedule says no time"
hmmh?
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-12-2012, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godimas View Post
Wow guys, thanks for all the support ^.^
It was a good OP post , and i kinda wanted to apologise if I started to rant .
You can guess by my sig. that this issue has me quite unhappy -- unhappy enough that I took the time to create a sig to 'fight" for this issue ... -- an issue that has shown a remarkable thoughtlessness by the person(s) who thought that the current Mk XII reward system was a "good idea" .
*they probably didn't play it 100-200 times for zippo rewards

And honestly , as someone who enjoys the PUG's for the chance to meet new players , the "new" STF's have been a bit of a blow on that front .
Example :
In every 10 PUG runs of the old STF's , I'd get 1-2 friend invites .
It was part of socializing in game .
With the "new STF's" , I've run over 200 on Easy and probably close to 100 on Hard .
How many friend invites in all that time ?
Two .
Reason ?
The "wham bam thank you Gozer" new STF's .
Are they fun ?
Aside from Cure Ground , yes . (and Cure Ground was my favorite STF prior to Season 5 .)
Are they fun for the type of endgame they're supposed to be , and with the reward system they currently have ?
I'm leaning more and more toward ... no .
Not enough variety + not enough socialization = rat maze , without the possibility to get at "the big MK XII cheese" .

Did I mention that something is wrong already ?
/ooopppss ... , started ranting again ... -- sorry /